DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range problem

endless_shutters

Reactions
Update. Tried to fly again today in 4 directions. ~5000 ft in front lost signal, 4500 ft to the left lost signal, 1800 ft to right lost signal, 1800 ft behind lost signal. Maxed out at 600' high.

Do I have a problem?

Flight was in a suburban neighborhood with no tall buildings, mostly trees just above ground level

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Update. Tried to fly again today in 4 directions. ~5000 ft in front lost signal, 4500 ft to the left lost signal, 1800 ft to right lost signal, 1800 ft behind lost signal. Maxed out at 600' high.

Do I have a problem?

Flight was in a suburban neighborhood with no tall buildings, mostly trees just above ground level
I had the same issue, but quickly resolved it by installing a big replacement antenna called the 4Hawks Raptor XR.

It's amazing the difference it has made.

tapatalk_1538026262774.jpeg

Reactions: noosaguy

Do I have a problem?

Well I don't know where you are but I imagine you're breaking the law. But as a matter of interest, how did you have your antennas positioned?

Reactions: AeroJ and Stan1915
Well I don't know where you are but I imagine you're breaking the law. But as a matter of interest, how did you have your antennas positioned?
Breaking the law or not that sounds a little risky to me that far away ( 5000 ft and 600 ft high). I couldnt see it even with strobes on let alone know which direction to fly if a small plane came into the picture.

Breaking the law or not that sounds a little risky to me that far away ( 5000 ft and 600 ft high). I couldnt see it even with strobes on let alone know which direction to fly if a small plane came into the picture.
I'm in Australia and by law here we are allowed a maximum altitude of 120m (400') and a distance that ensures you have your drone in sight and no night flying. I have mine limited to 500m but in the right circumstances (away from suburbia) I might venture a little further.

Thanks... I won't be doing that again. I am genuinely concerned with the signal range. I've lost signal a few times at under 2000ft away under the 400ft ceiling.

Asking if this is normal or if I should be contacting DJI...

Do I have a problem?

Depending on the thickness of the vegetation on the trees it will block some of your signal. Move out to open countryside where it is flat with few trees and where you can see for miles. If you followed the daredevils who fly 4-5 miles one way, they always seem to do it between 150-200 ft in the air. Then you may be able to see any manned aircraft and know that unless they are landing you shouldn't be in their airspace. Fly safe!

Antennae are at right angles to the rc, in parallel

I'm a newbie at droning but I agree with Stan1915 that I would imagine you need to be in direct line of sight without obstructions. Still, in a suburban area that distance seems to be risky.
I saw somewhere on a Youtube video that the orientation (position) of the antennas can make a difference. This bloke had his set at 45 degrees but I would imagine in your case 90 degrees would have been better.

ill chime in I get around 3.5 miles in the city with lots of trees around out in open can due 5 miles no problem always 400 feet high

I'm starting to think you have interference issues. Large variability in distances from same location depending on direction would suggest that there is signal interference.

That's strange.. my mz with FCC mode can travel 3km more without single glitch on very dense urban area.

Using stock antenna + windsurfer

Are you using dual or 2.4 or 5.8?

I'm starting to think you have interference issues. Large variability in distances from same location depending on direction would suggest that there is signal interference.
Certainly a possibility. I still expected longer range tho, especially after hearing reports of 15k+ flights and seeing videos suggesting same. One video showed a guy that far out in a dense city environment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro