DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ranger Extender- If so, which type?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've seen a couple posts about the success people have had with range extenders. I'm so new to flying that I don't see, for the moment, as using it so much to get the drone to fly rather than where I can see it well. But let's say that eventually I might want to do that. We know that interference is one of the issues with the MM connection that is vastly improved with MA2's Occusync2. But if I were to fly where there are buildings or other potential sources of interference, would a range extender help?

Secondly, assuming that I wanted to try one of them, I'd like to know which type people have had success with. I think the moderators have been removing links that others have posted, for what reason I don't know, but in lieu of that, if you can't post a link to the extender that you's had success with, if you could identify the type as shown in the photo below: Type 1→ simple curved design. Or... Type 2→ a cup-like design, curved, but with a top and bottom. A link would be helpful though in the event that the moderators would let them stand. range_extenders.jpg

I've seen a couple posts about the success people have had with range extenders. I'm so new to flying that I don't see, for the moment, as using it so much to get the drone to fly rather than where I can see it well. But let's say that eventually I might want to do that. We know that interference is one of the issues with the MM connection that is vastly improved with MA2's Occusync2. But if I were to fly where there are buildings or other potential sources of interference, would a range extender help?

Secondly, assuming that I wanted to try one of them, I'd like to know which type people have had success with. I think the moderators have been removing links that others have posted, for what reason I don't know, but in lieu of that, if you can't post a link to the extender that you's had success with, if you could identify the type as shown in the photo below: Type 1→ simple curved design. Or... Type 2→ a cup-like design, curved, but with a top and bottom. A link would be helpful though in the event that the moderators would let them stand. View attachment 105748
If you are gonna do it do it all the way.
D889806B-7BFC-46D4-A8E2-6A5363FFC4E5.jpeg
A1AF1BF1-581D-46CB-8AAB-1AF347C4D81E.jpeg
EvoLite Kit Extreme (Mavic Mini Edition) (link updated to correct version for MM US edition)

Plus

Those clip on things aren’t really doing anything. Definitely no obstacles with clip on things.

With the set up above it will help going around objects but not without limits. Having said that I can fly from within my basement no problem.

Last edited:

Secondly, assuming that I wanted to try one of them, I'd like to know which type people have had success with. I think the moderators have been removing links that others have posted, for what reason I don't know, but in lieu of that, if you can't post a link to the extender that you's had success with, if you could identify the type as shown in the photo below: Type 1→ simple curved design. Or... Type 2→ a cup-like design, curved, but with a top and bottom. A link would be helpful though in the event that the moderators would let them stand. View attachment 105748
I second what @brett8883 said.

If you are gonna do it do it all the way.
View attachment 105761
View attachment 105760

Plus

Those clip on things aren’t really doing anything. Definitely no obstacles with clip on things.

With the set up above it will help going around objects but not without limits. Having said that I can fly from within my basement no problem.
Looks like I need an upgrade!

These are just my 3 watt - Sunhans eSunRC 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm WiFi Signal Boosters running off a MPP battery. Pretty cool, daddio!

IMG_8332.JPGIMG_7686.JPG

OP those cheap extenders you posted are junk, listen to the posts above mine. If you want serious improvements a powered booster with an omnidirectional antenna is the way to go. You can also hack your MAVIC and program it to transmit at a higher output, Bretts patcher does this for free.

My next upgrade is a boosted amplifier.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
These are just my 3 watt - Sunhans eSunRC 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm WiFi Signal Boosters running off a MPP battery. Pretty cool, daddio!

View attachment 105763View attachment 105764
Ha I love that!

Yea I liked my set up before but but I’ve been getting more 107 work so I thought I had to button up a little.

PS the 4Hawks antenna makes a big difference. When we spoke last about this I was on those cheaper whips and panels but I must admit that getting a nice antenna impressed me. I didn’t think I would get a noticeable upgrade but it was.

Having said that, I’ve moved the 4Hawks antenna to my Inspire which needs it more and I’m currently using the same antennas as you on my Mavic. The 4Hawks was better but I just don’t need that much power on it to be frank.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
OP those cheap extenders you posted are junk, listen to the posts above mine. If you want serious improvements a powered booster with an omnidirectional antenna is the way to go. You can also hack your MAVIC and program it to transmit at a higher output, Bretts patcher does this for free.

My next upgrade is a boosted amplifier.

Mavic Mini is 5.8 not 2.4. Which reminds me... @vindibona1 you actually need this version. Sorry

This one also already comes with a 4Hawks antenna so it’s all you need

Ha I love that!

Yea I liked my set up before but but I’ve been getting more 107 work so I thought I had to button up a little.

PS the 4Hawks antenna makes a big difference. When we spoke last about this I was on those cheaper whips and panels but I must admit that getting a nice antenna impressed me. I didn’t think I would get a noticeable upgrade but it was.

Having said that, I’ve moved the 4Hawks antenna to my Inspire which needs it more and I’m currently using the same antennas as you on my Mavic. The 4Hawks was better but I just don’t need that much power on it to be frank.
Excellent! I’m highly interested.
Wish I could afford an Inspire. I think they’re cool. I need to sell a few more antique radios.

If you want to just temporary try something less expensive, for my MM, I use a Yagi 5.8 which I got from a guy that makes them in the US and sells them on eBay. It is eBay item # 153961889781. Excellent quality and it has made difference for me. I fly in the mountains with trees and ridges and I just tried it out and flew 4,634' over a ridge with no signal loss. For $15.50, I figure it will get me out there as far as I want to go with the MM. I plan on trying it out more in the next week or so.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54