DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Rannoch Moor (Low Cloud)

So this whole FAA thing about staying 500ft below a cloud and 2000ft horizontally away from them ....... there's no regs like that in England? Just curious how you interact with manned aircraft?

So this whole FAA thing about staying 500ft below a cloud and 2000ft horizontally away from them ....... there's no regs like that in England? Just curious how you interact with manned aircraft?
Well, for a start we do not have the FAA here, we have the CAA. Where I was flying the only manned aircraft that fly there are traversing at high altitudes. Anything else will be heard for miles around and I was nowhere near any low flying areas carried out by the RAF. Perhaps we a lot lower cloud formations than than in the US.

Perhaps you can inform me how to stay 500ft below these clouds in Glencoe?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2024-01-07-18h13m59s729.png
    vlcsnap-2024-01-07-18h13m59s729.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: YourGoodPalJeff
Perhaps you can inform me how to stay 500ft below these clouds in Glencoe?
I was asking a straight forward question, not looking for sarcasm. As to how you'd fly in those conditions in the US, you don't.

I was asking a straight forward question, not looking for sarcasm. As to how you'd fly in those conditions in the US, you don't.
Apologies. I thought you were being facetious. Here in the UK, like your FAA, we have the CAA.They stipulate a maximum flying altitude of 400ft from takeoff point, wich was obeyed and there was a 'hole in the clouds' which I took a quick advantage of.
I don't understand your rule of flying 500 ft below clouds when as I said here in Scotland, especially in the Highlands, we experience many times, cloud levels of well below 500ft. What happens then? Are you not allowed to take off and fly at 100ft high? As for interacting with manned aircraft, I do what others do. I keep my eyes and ears open and take necessary action if required. I was employed by the CAA for 17 years, maintaining Radar and Communications equipments in the field and tht was after ding the same in the Royal Air Force for 22 years. So, when it comes down to Flight Safety, I think I have a 'good idea' of what is required.

Reactions: KBF
How do you interact with manned aircraft?
Look, listen, listen on the radio and follow the FAA regs so if someone flying IFR pops out of a cloud, I'm far enough away to react. I'm not familiar with CAA rules, although I'm English, so I was just asking a question as to how the OP can fly above clouds and avoid aircraft, that's all.

Would there be manned aircraft flying just above such a low cloud layer over Rannoch Moor, Scotland?

Would there be manned aircraft flying just above such a low cloud layer over Rannoch Moor, Scotland?
I’ve no idea. What’s the cloud height? Local flight restrictions? Military use? That wasn’t my original question, I was simply asking if you had flight rules similar to what the FAA impose on us in the US!

I know of no CAA "below cloud" minimum distance rule but the others are probably similar. As for military flights, it would surprise me if they were that low in that kind of weather, I have seen low clouds like that and I doubt the cloud layer was 100ft thick, I am not saying that hte layer over that moor was 100ft thick but I think ot would be fairly risky for the military to skim a 'fog' .

Very nice video!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77