DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Raymarine Axiom UAV App

Cargodog

Reactions
Hey folks

Curious if anyone has had experience with the Raymarine Axiom UAV app?

I recently got a new boat with an Axiom 7 on it. The GPS/Fishfinder/Map device has features like netflix and spotify, but I also just found out that it has a UAV app to control DJI devices. And has some cool features like 'Fish On' mode. Where it will take off, and circle the boat while filming the fishing interaction. And some other neat features.

Of course, I'm leary about taking the drone out on water (just a nervous nelly that way) and unsure how landing on an 18 foot boat will work without risking any injury lol.

Hey folks

Curious if anyone has had experience with the Raymarine Axiom UAV app?

I recently got a new boat with an Axiom 7 on it. The GPS/Fishfinder/Map device has features like netflix and spotify, but I also just found out that it has a UAV app to control DJI devices. And has some cool features like 'Fish On' mode. Where it will take off, and circle the boat while filming the fishing interaction. And some other neat features.

Of course, I'm leary about taking the drone out on water (just a nervous nelly that way) and unsure how landing on an 18 foot boat will work without risking any injury lol.

Interesting but after reading this:

The only advantage to this APP vs other PROVEN apps (DJI GO AND LITCHI) is that you can use the depth finder screen.

Personally I wouldn't trust this until trying it out when the boat is docked or trailered. I've launched many times from a boat in rough/calm seas and I can tell you from experience the only reliable way to recover a UAS on a small boat (<30') is by grabbing it with your hand while it hovers. Every other way leads to close calls or disasters. Even hand catching it is challenging due to the multiple directions you move at times, you don't notice this until a device like a UAS holds an exact GPS position. For example take one of my experiences off Fort Lauderdale in the Gulf Stream. Launching was easy enough, hold it up, start motors and climb, takes a second. Recovery is different. Current is moving you NNE @ 3-5mph, an east wind is blowing the boat at 1-2 mph in a westerly direction over the current, combined your moving North. Your UAS, well it's holding steady at an exact position and that 3-6mph is a lot faster then it sounds, you have about 1 second to catch it or throttle up if you miss the catch.

Thats the reality of flying a UAS of a boat and it sounds challenging but with practice on land it's not too bad, keeps you on your toes. ?

At least it is only the Mavic Pro, so if you lose it you are not out a full Mavic 2 cost!

Seriously though, kind of a cool, niche market. But agreed, a Return to Boat type option will only work in a lake, pond, stream where you are basically still. Anything in open water is hand catch territory at best.

Anyone try using a pole net to catch one?? Might be more reliable than a hand catch, no idea on how well the drone will put up with it though...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada