DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC battery replacement

Hiwayman

Reactions
Has anyone experience of replacing a battery in the M2P remote control?
I know there is a YouTube tutorial which I may pursue, with a replacement battery from eBay at around £25.
Alternatively...has anyone paid for a dji replacement?
Thoughts appreciated...it's not urgent, I can probably get two battery flights from it at the moment.?
Update..... problem sorted...dji repair arranged ?

Last edited:
I have not, but I'm curious (to anyone): what kind of battery does it take? And is it soldered in?

To the OP: got a link? I searched ebay and didn't find it. If it's a standard size (like a couple of 18650s) and you don't want to open the unit / solder the batteries in yourself, you could probably get a local electronics repair shop to do it for less than it would cost to send the unit to DJI for replacement.

Or by replacement, did you mean the entire remote?

Chris

I have not, but I'm curious (to anyone): what kind of battery does it take? And is it soldered in?

To the OP: got a link? I searched ebay and didn't find it. If it's a standard size (like a couple of 18650s) and you don't want to open the unit / solder the batteries in yourself, you could probably get a local electronics repair shop to do it for less than it would cost to send the unit to DJI for replacement.

Or by replacement, did you mean the entire remote?

Chris
This might have been the one I found, but I realize this is for the pro, not the Mavic 2 pro....it looks similar to the YouTube video but concede the description looks incorrect now...☹️

Cool. I also found the following (which does look more standard size), but it is again for an Air. I tried the search for "mavic 2" excluding the terms 'air' and 'spark' but it came up empty.

So I hope someone reading this thread has actually opened up the M2P remote.

Cool. I also found the following (which does look more standard size), but it is again for an Air. I tried the search for "mavic 2" excluding the terms 'air' and 'spark' but it came up empty.

So I hope someone reading this thread has actually opened up the M2P remote.

Have you watched this ....https://youtu.be/PrTqN1lrJG8

The part number for the M2P/Z is more likely than not the same as the other previous contollers as DJI buys this stuff in HUGE lots. Given the video of the M2 remote tear down vs. the MP1 tear down show exactly the same connectors and display layout module,the parts IMHO are interchangeable. DJI 973760

So unless you can mail and have DJI repair a remote for about $26 US Dollars, I would just do it myself and save time and grief. As I'm betting your going to get a refurb remote back with who knows what battery quality in it. ;)

No, Mavic 2 Pro battery is different.
First of all - it's 1S2P (while others are 1S1P higher capacity) and capacity different.
If you know how to solder aluminium tabs - it's not big deal to replace (probably won't find 1975mAh LiHV (!) cells easily, but can use available 1800mAh LiHV cells.
Another alternative - use single similar capacity lihv cell. Also, if you try to use that battery linked above - you will need to replace connector (easy task with needle or similar tool).
m2p_battery.jpg
Cells are 58*34mm size.

Last edited:
I know that this is old topic, but still, many and many questions with the same problem and also this pops out on google search ;-)

DJI did a proper $hit on their remotes and battery handling. Battery itself is fine, but calibration goes off and remote does not hold up.
2x M2P remotes, the same cure:
- disassemble top part (2x small screws near stick holders, then take off bottom, 2x small philips screws, take off middle knob, disconnect gimbal connectors, take off top part)
- disconnect battery (wide, ~1.5cm white connector next to right side of screen)
- keep remote for ~20mins with all disconnected
- re-assemble in the same reverse procedure
- go fly and be happy.

In short - battery inside remote is fine, but calibration goes bad, or (more likely) DJI forces you to swap to new remote. Disconnecting battery forces re-calibration and boom, battery "refreshes" from 5min duration to 1 hour, again =)
Year later you probably will need to repeat procedure, but this again has nothing to do with battery going bad (actually i removed battery on another remote, bypassed BMS and charged/discharged with separate charger - 3 years on battery, it still holds > 80% charge @2C).

I know that this is old topic, but still, many and many questions with the same problem and also this pops out on google search ;-)

DJI did a proper $hit on their remotes and battery handling. Battery itself is fine, but calibration goes off and remote does not hold up.
- disassemble top part (2x small screws near stick holders, then take off bottom, 2x small philips screws, take off middle knob, disconnect gimbal connectors, take off top part)
- disconnect battery (wide, ~1.5cm white connector next to right side of screen)
- go fly and be happy.

In short - battery inside remote is fine, but calibration goes bad, or (more likely) DJI forces you to swap to new remote. Disconnecting battery forces re-calibration and boom, battery "refreshes" from 5min duration to 1 hour, again =)
Year later you probably will need to repeat procedure, but this again has nothing to do with battery going bad (actually i removed battery on another remote, bypassed BMS and charged/discharged with separate charger - 3 years on battery, it still holds > 80% charge @2C).
Dude you are a legend! :) You just doubled my controller battery life time!

Test before resetting battery
93 remote 89 cell 9:04 AM
14 remote 89 cell 9:43 AM
lasted 39 minutes

Test after resetting battery
95 remote 100 cell 12:32 PM
14 remote 100 cell 1:54 PM
lasted 82 minutes

Given the following specs:
Battery 3950 mAh. Operating Current/Voltage 1800 mA
A new battery should last for 131.7 minutes

Here are some videos specific to the Mavic Pro 2 Controller I found useful to disassembly and disconnect battery.

DJI MAVIC 2 CONTROLLER REPAIR (shows how to get bottom off the best)

dji mavic pro 2 Controller Battery Replacement (actually disconnects the battery)

DJI Mavic 2 Remote USB Repair - How To (explains how to get the nib back on the joy stick thing with silicon)

How to Replace the Mavic Pro RC battery and where to get it (if you actually need to replace the battery this shows how to disassemble the rest for an original MP)

- go fly and be happy.

A technician did confirm to me there´s some sort of weird problem with those controllers. Mine was not holding a change for more than 2 days (although it would work fine during use).

I left it off for 6 months, The technician told me to not leave the battery empty. I seem to mess up the charge controller chip, and he told be there´s no going back, the chip has to be replaced or the entire mainboard.

After 3 months of use (charging in 2 times a week), the controller won't turn on anymore (did I let it go to zero again?). So I tried to unplug the battery cable using the instructions above. When plugin it back in, I notice a bit of smoke coming off. Disconnected and tried again twice, although no more smoke the main board would become super hot very quickly. Sent it to DJI and they said the main board had to be replaced (although nothing about the battery itself.

So it seems that the technician (non DJI) theory seems to fit well.

I also found a better disassembly guide:

TLDR: do not leave you controller battery at zero.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji