DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC disconnection range?

Hiddenkoncept

Reactions
hey guys, new to the forums and also new to drone life!

picked up the air 2 recently as it just seemed to be the best for the price on the market.

I live on the outskirts of London near kent but I have only managed to get my drone about 200m away before it disconnects from the RC and returns home....anybody got any suggestions?

using samsung s9+
turned onto airplane mode to limit connection issues

thanksnfor taking the time to read!

hey guys, new to the forums and also new to drone life!

picked up the air 2 recently as it just seemed to be the best for the price on the market.

I live on the outskirts of London near kent but I have only managed to get my drone about 200m away before it disconnects from the RC and returns home....anybody got any suggestions?

using samsung s9+
turned onto airplane mode to limit connection issues

thanksnfor taking the time to read!
What’s the environment like? Are there structures and trees blocking the signal? Is there a lot of interference from neighbors or businesses? I live in the burbs and have a lot of interference but can still go around 2600 ft from my front door. But if I go down to the park where it’s more open I can easily go over 6000 ft. Test it out in an open environment if you have interference or something blocking line of site.

Reactions: Hiddenkoncept
Quick up date. I walked it over to my local park and managed to go 800m but surely that's still not enough for a drone that supposedly as a 10km range ?

What’s the environment like? Are there structures and trees blocking the signal? Is there a lot of interference from neighbors or businesses? I live in the burbs and have a lot of interference but can still go around 2600 ft from my front door. But if I go down to the park where it’s more open I can easily go over 6000 ft. Test it out in an open environment if you have interference or something blocking line of site.

I believe there is A LOT of interference. Is a built up residential area so its basically all streets with houses and lots of trees....beginning to think I chose the wrong place to live if I wanted to drone ?

Something not right there mate, I’ve been a hell of a lot further than 800m and only lost one little bar from the signal strength.

Something not right there mate, I’ve been a hell of a lot further than 800m and only lost one little bar from the signal strength.

I'm going to take it to a field tomorrow and test it out as I surrounded by houses where I am now, I'm also close enough to london city airport that I get a warning everytime I fly and have to.unlock geozone every 24 hours

Reactions: gb160
I'm going to take it to a field tomorrow and test it out as I surrounded by houses where I am now, I'm also close enough to london city airport that I get a warning everytime I fly and have to.unlock geozone every 24 hours
I know the area well, I lived in London till I was 40, West Suffolk now surrounded by miles and miles of fields thank god.

Wait, 10km is for USA only. Everywhere else it uses a much lower power transmission, so best case you could get 2 to 4 km.

I was flying today and a couple time it disconnected from phone leaving me with no controls. I kept hitting return to home and finally did. Once was far out and other was over my head. Scared the heck out of me. Any ideas why it would do this? Was out in the country without many houses at all.Drone Error.jpg

Altitude has a great bearing on range. Rise over Run. Also, you need to be sure you are aiming the antennae at the drone at all times. I see power lines in your screenshot... avoid them also.

Wait, 10km is for USA only. Everywhere else it uses a much lower power transmission, so best case you could get 2 to 4 km.
6km in CE, he's way, way short of that.

Although personally I use full power (FCC) to have strong signal strength...its simple enough to enable.

6km in CE, he's way, way short of that.

Although personally I use full power (FCC) to have strong signal strength...its simple enough to enable.
I saw the other thread, it looks quite annoying in the procedure on/off. Has it been solved after 342 posts or I should start reading all ?? :)

I saw the other thread, it looks quite annoying in the procedure on/off. Has it been solved after 342 posts or I should start reading all ?? :)
Theres a hacked DJI Fly app (for iOS ) floating around that keeps the drone in FCC mode, you need a bit of knowledge to install it however, but it works 100%, ive tested it.

No working method for Android as of yet.

I was flying today and a couple time it disconnected from phone leaving me with no controls. I kept hitting return to home and finally did. Once was far out and other was over my head. Scared the heck out of me. Any ideas why it would do this? Was out in the country without many houses at all.View attachment 102422
I don’t know what caused this, but it wasn’t range. The warning said “RC not connected to mobile device” not the drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hiddenkoncept
I was flying today and a couple time it disconnected from phone leaving me with no controls. I kept hitting return to home and finally did. Once was far out and other was over my head. Scared the heck out of me. Any ideas why it would do this? Was out in the country without many houses at all.View attachment 102422
In your case, the controller is disconnected from the phone. I have an iPhone X with a case. The DJI lightning connector is kind of fat and sometimes does not make perfect contact with the phone because of the tight hole in the case. I have gotten the "RC not connected" and just had to fiddle with the lightning connection... pushing it in harder usually worked. Normally I get this error before I take off. Its kind of scary in flight.

Reactions: Larry1108
It’s like the family service radios that say 5 miles in open area.
I have had my signal drop at 2000 feet if I go on way from my home. Trees, houses, other signals interfer. I go another way and I get 6000 feet.
i go to a lake and can get 10000 feet.
all depends on your area. It’s really not much better than my old P3P

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d