DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC ONLY flying???

Uncle Hoser

Reactions
I can't seem to find an answer in the user manual, but is it possible to fly the MA2 with the RC only, and not use the Fly app? I'd just like to get it in the air the first time and see how it responds/handles without being distracted by the screen!

If so, how would one go about it?

Thanks...

I found a relative video on YouTube ?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I apologise...
I just realised that you are talking about MA2...

I can't seem to find an answer in the user manual, but is it possible to fly the MA2 with the RC only, and not use the Fly app? I'd just like to get it in the air the first time and see how it responds/handles without being distracted by the screen!

Thanks...
You will be restricted on height and distance insure you have GPS lock by green lights on drone. After that and all on, pull left stick down and to the left...right stick down to the right. kinda like a inverted "V" pattern. Hold there... motors will start. Release sticks. Left stick up till she gets to above eye height...From there she will fly normal. To land left stick down and hold down till motors stop upon landing...DO NOT USE SAME STICK COMMAND TO STOP MOTORS. This is a advanced flight and should not really be used by a novice..but it's your dime and I don't know your stick time ;)

Just so you know this is in the user manual...page 44...you might want to read it again. :) OF note the manual says you can use the CSC to stop motors the same way...this is Emergency only and is WRONG as printed!

Last edited:
Thanks! I found those "way in the back" pages just a few minutes after I posted. I'm no expert...I've only flown "toy" drones until now, but they were operable without being connected to a smart phone. I don't plan to do anything crazy, just get it up to about 8-10 feet in the yard and check out the "feel" without losing sight of the aircraft!

Thanks! I found those "way in the back" pages just a few minutes after I posted. I'm no expert...I've only flown "toy" drones until now, but they were operable without being connected to a smart phone. I don't plan to do anything crazy, just get it up to about 8-10 feet in the yard and check out the "feel" without losing sight of the aircraft!
Good luck, it should go fine..Stay close and go slow...use the tripod mode or whatever they are calling it on your MA2 first. Note: On lift off, you must be in normal mode, then slide switch to left to Tripod.

It would be much safer and easier using the DJI Fly app imho, as you would get all the warnings and alarms e.g. low battery, signal interference, obstacle sensing etc.

Reactions: dawgpilot
se the CSC to stop motors the same way...this is Emergency only and is WRONG as printed!
The CSC will stop the motors if it has landed but left-stick-only is probably safer as it doesn't cause the drone to try to fly backwards and to the side.
If you want the CSC entirely at YOUR command at all times (which will probably allow the props to be stopped in mid air) switch the response mode to the alternative of "emergency" but BE WARNED the trigger time may be very short. It's around 2 sec for the Mavic Mini.
Neither is a good option IMO, I much prefer the 5sec delay of the Phantom 3's but I recollect there were complaints about that too.
So 'they' are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
The screen gives you tons of important info. They are essential for flying safety. I cant imagine why one would want to ignore them

The screen gives you tons of important info. They are essential for flying safety. I cant imagine why one would want to ignore them
Maybe for a newbie...how does one learn to fly a fixed wing or heli then, I have about 150 flight hours sans any screen, more than 2000 if you count all my R/C flight time. You don't need any screen to practice flying, which about 50% of this site minimum needs from my observation. DJI builds in a safe guard and limits to allow it and if the king of "we limit how you can and will fly" includes it. (And always has), it's up to the pilot as it should be to take on that responsibility IMHO.

Many pilots don't know but the Drone also has a light sequence that alerts you as well to many safety issues and status of situations, given the operational limits..I feel it is safe to take to the air with zero app in appropriate surroundings...YMMV

R/C fliers have been doing this for a very long time, long before me and nothing has happened yet...just because you have a down-link and telemetry doesn't take away from where your eyes should be. Far to many people in this thread/site are starring at a screen when there eyes should be watching the aircraft IMHO. :)

One thing that the screen gives you is where the camera is pointing and what camera settings are and such, all subsequent safe flight is given buy navigation lights and their flashing sequence and colors and battery status indicators on the aircraft which you should be looking at and at a distance that is regulated...a bit more of understanding of their functions and reading of the manual for safe flight is needed...in short, a screen is nice and needed to frame shots...for anything else a accomplished pilot can safely navigate the skies, been doing it for over 40 years (And newbies need to learn the correct way as "we" did), like thousands of others..long before they made "quads" or DJI was a "Thing".

Last edited:
The CSC will stop the motors if it has landed but left stick is probably safer as it doesn't cause the drone to try to fly backwards and to the side.
If you want the CSC entirely at YOUR command at all times switch the response mode to the alternative of "emergency" but BE WARNED the trigger time may be very short. It's around 2 sec for the Mavic Mini.
Neither is a good option IMO, I much prefer the 5sec delay of the Phantom 3's but I recollect there were complaints about that too.
So 'they' are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Yep using the CSC on larger drones is a bad thing. Try that on an M600 and it will flip and damage just about every prop. You can get away with it on an inspire but even then it tries to roll. Never tried it on anything but the inspire. Watched a drone expert destroy an M600 using a CSC command instead of left stick down.

You can do it but why would you want to. I guess because you went hiking with your drone and forgot your phone like I have several times. It's really not worth the effort unless you just like seeing your drone go up and down. You can't frame your photos or video.

..how does one learn to fly a fixed wing or heli then..... R/C fliers have been doing this for a very long time, long before me and nothing has happened yet...
First, there is no such option for those crafts.
Secondly, they have less things to fail that can result in crash. IMU, compass being some examples.
Thirdly, they don't have minds of their own but just follow stick inputs directly at all time.

....DJI builds in a safe guard and limits to allow it and if the king of "we limit how you can and will fly" includes it. (And always has), it's up to the pilot as it should be to take on that responsibility IMHO.
True only if everythings are set up properly. Without the app, your ability to tell will be considerably diminished. E.g. The drone does not know if the yaw is initialized correctly. The only way is to check the map, the attitude indicator or the orientation indicator on the app. I don't think I need to explain what bad things can happen if there is yaw error.

Reactions: vjpapa
I'd just like to get it in the air the first time and see how it responds/handles without being distracted by the screen!
There are things that you need to check on the screen before flying. If you do not want to be distracted, just take your eyes off the phone when flying.

Don't you have to use the fly app to register with dji the first time you turn on the drone? That may be what is preventing you from flying without using the app.

Thanks...
You might consider the Smart Controller. It's perfect with the MA2 you need the fly app but after that there are no interruptions with the exception of caution notifications, such as low battery, entering a restricted zone, altitude max, etc.

Don't you have to use the fly app to register with dji the first time you turn on the drone? That may be what is preventing you from flying without using the app.

That's correct.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ