DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Pro/Air 2S Gimbal Wheel and Rotation Speed Proportionality

JimNorth55

Reactions
I was flying my Air 2S with the RC Pro today, and I noticed that the gimbal wheel has no proportional control over the gimbal tilt speed. With my Mavic 2 Pro (using the stock controller and the Go 4 app), when I rotate the wheel a little, the gimbal tilts slowly, and when I rotate the wheel a lot, the gimbal tilts faster. However, with the RC Pro/Air 2S, this is not the case, No matter how much I rotate the wheel, the gimbal moves at the Max Control Speed as set in the Fly app gimbal gain settings. Neither changing the Max Speed or the Tilt Smoothness makes a difference.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Here are the firmware versions...
  • Fly App version: 1.9.4.
  • Air 2S firmware: 12.04.2500
  • RC firmware: 03.01.1200

I was flying my Air 2S with the RC Pro today, and I noticed that the gimbal wheel has no proportional control over the gimbal tilt speed. With my Mavic 2 Pro (using the stock controller and the Go 4 app), when I rotate the wheel a little, the gimbal tilts slowly, and when I rotate the wheel a lot, the gimbal tilts faster. However, with the RC Pro/Air 2S, this is not the case, No matter how much I rotate the wheel, the gimbal moves at the Max Control Speed as set in the Fly app gimbal gain settings. Neither changing the Max Speed or the Tilt Smoothness makes a difference.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Here are the firmware versions...
  • Fly App version: 1.9.4.
  • Air 2S firmware: 12.04.2500
  • RC firmware: 03.01.1200
Try recalibrating your sticks and scroll wheels.

Try recalibrating your sticks and scroll wheels.
I performed the RC calibration, as suggested (after updating the Fly app), and still have no proportional tilt speed control with the wheel. The gimbal tilt wheel acts more like an on-off tilt switch, than a proportional speed control.

Slow down the max tilt spped, then turn down the EXP for the gimbal.
I don't see any EXP (or Expo) for the Gimbal, only Max Control Speed (Tilt) and Smoothness. Just above there is Expo for Pitch/Roll, Yaw and Up/Down, which are the sticks.

And, as I mentioned before the Max Control Speed does control how fast the gimbal tilts, but that doesn't matter. As I start to move the wheel, there is no movement at all, until a certain point where, boom, it is tilting at whatever is set as the Max speed. With my M2Pro, with slight movements of the wheel, I can smoothly control the speed between 0 and whatever the Max speed is set to.

I don't see any EXP (or Expo) for the Gimbal, only Max Control Speed (Tilt) and Smoothness. Just above there is Expo for Pitch/Roll, Yaw and Up/Down, which are the sticks.

And, as I mentioned before the Max Control Speed does control how fast the gimbal tilts, but that doesn't matter. As I start to move the wheel, there is no movement at all, until a certain point where, boom, it is tilting at whatever is set as the Max speed. With my M2Pro, with slight movements of the wheel, I can smoothly control the speed between 0 and whatever the Max speed is set to.
Mine works just as it should. I didn't have mine turned on when responding. Correct on the no gimbal expo. My max tilt is 15 and smoothness is 10 for normal. What are your settings?

Mine works just as it should. I didn't have mine turned on when responding. Correct on the no gimbal expo. My max tilt is 15 and smoothness is 10 for normal. What are your settings?
Normally, my settings are: Max Tilt : 10 and Smoothness 30. However, so we are comparing apples to apples, can I ask you to try something...

Set your your Max Tilt to 30 and your Tilt Smoothness to 0. Then try slightly moving the gimbal tilt wheel and see if you can gradually increase the tilt speed with the wheel. (On mine, it instantly goes from 0 to 30 with a slight turn of the wheel.) Please let me know if you see something different.

I should also mention again that I am using the RC Pro (with the Android Fly App). Are you using the RC Pro?

Thanks!
Jim

Normally, my settings are: Max Tilt : 10 and Smoothness 30. However, so we are comparing apples to apples, can I ask you to try something...

Set your your Max Tilt to 30 and your Tilt Smoothness to 0. Then try slightly moving the gimbal tilt wheel and see if you can gradually increase the tilt speed with the wheel. (On mine, it instantly goes from 0 to 30 with a slight turn of the wheel.) Please let me know if you see something different.

I should also mention again that I am using the RC Pro (with the Android Fly App). Are you using the RC Pro?

Thanks!
Jim
Yes, RC Pro. Using same settings as you. Mine is smooth and speed follows wheel input. Have you tried calibrating slowly, making sure of full stick and wheel movement?

Yes, RC Pro. Using same settings as you. Mine is smooth and speed follows wheel input. Have you tried calibrating slowly, making sure of full stick and wheel movement?
Thank you for conducting the experiment and reporting back. Now I know that I am not expecting a feature that is not supposed to be there, and that the controller hardware is not the cause.

I will try your suggestion, and if it doesn't fix the issue, I'll keep at it. Eventually I'll figure it out and will report back to this thread with my findings, you know, in case I am not the only one of the hoard of Air 2S owners who has this problem. ;-)

To be continued...

Just an update... After some back-and-forth with "DJI Wanda" on the DJI site (which was not helpful), I decided to ship the drone off to Drone Nerds Repair Service, which I have used in the past. I included a detailed description of the problem, including a step-by-step procedure for how to reproduce the issue. The diagnostic results response was this...

"We have finished diagnosing your Mavic Air 2 and this is what we found.
Upon first inspection we noticed that your gimbal cameras internal settings have been adjusted. We went ahead and reset the gimbal camera to stock settings. I have full control over the gimbal camera. It's movements are smooth and clean and I see no issues with calibrations. As of this moment we believe the gimbal camera is working as needed. Firmware was refreshed and the compass, IMU and vision sensors were all calibrated as well. "

This sounded suspicious, so I called and found out that all they did was go into the Fly app and reset the Gimbal settings (Max Tilt and Smoothness) to the defaults. They ignored my instructions for reproducing the problem. So I asked that they do a side-by-side comparison with another 2S (or Mini). That was last Friday.

Today I called and the tech was busy, so I requested a call back. Instead, this was the emailed response....

"I see no issues with your remote or control over your gimbal. This unit is functioning as intended. These new remotes are not the same as the mavic pro 2 wheels. They do not have the same smooth control over the gimbal as the mavic pro 2 units did. I fiddled around with your speed and smoothness and not setting will work as you requested. However, the primary setting are 15/8 giving an amazing panning ratio. I recommend flying at 15/0 if you wish but both will work fine. She is currently back to her 30/0 settings as you requested. I will go ahead and send this unit off to billing so we can get her back to you asap."

So, I have just wasted over $200 for nothing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada