DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Pro Controller Observations

rexster1505

Reactions
Received my RC Pro today. I knew there would be a session of updating the controller to work with my Air 2S. I had other things to do, so it was 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there. I kept hitting a roadblock on getting the thing updated. Message popups that software could not be updated.
A call to Drone Nerds was no help at all. "Send it back" was the main theme. A chat with 2 different CS people at DJI was no better. One had me going into the Windows device manager and reinstalling drivers for my video card. I had sent screen shot images of the messages I was receiving, but I doubt they looked at them. Another suggestion was to use the DJI Assistant to upgrade. That wouldn't work either. I could get a connection with the controller, but it wouldn't show a list of available downloads.
When I decided that I had done everything I could, using the information on this forum, the only thing I could think of was the internet connection through my 2.4/5G modem. I had tried both frequencies early with no luck. About ready to just walk away from it tonight, I made a connection on my phone's hotspot. I again got the message a firmware update was available. The first one was for an update to the Fly app. It downloaded and I installed that. Feeling good I shut down the controller and restarted it. The Fly app started up as normal, and after a few seconds another pop up for a firmware update showed up. I clicked ok, and that download started. Finally it was done and I was able to install that one. Did a restart of the controller, Fly app started and I was able to choose the drone to pair with I knew I was on to something. Paired the drone as usual and I let out a whoop that woke my wife up. I'll be tearing up the back yard tomorrow flying around the neighborhood.

Nice! It's a pain when something like this happens, glad to hear you solved it in the end. If I recall correctly, there were many people who experienced the same issues with the original smart controller, so I am glad to see that DJI learnt from that ... 🙄

Persistence and initiative pays off! Well done! We are pretty much on our own to troubleshoot these types of issues! Have fun with it tomorrow!

Persistence and initiative pays off! Well done! We are pretty much on our own to troubleshoot these types of issues! Have fun with it tomorrow!
Yep, talking to the DJI person was a total waste of time. Had me going into my computer to modify things that didn't make any sense was crazy

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That's bizarre though I have heard of it happening to people with the original SC also. Glad your persistence paid off and you got up into the air!!

How do you use your phones 4G connection as a hotspot for the RC PRO?

Some phones with compatible phone plans have a Personal Hotspot option that allows them to share their internet connection to other devices via wifi. If you enable that on your phone, the RC Pro can connect to the phone via a private wifi network and access the internet that way.

On an iPhone, Personal Hotspot is available in Settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knypsterino
Some phones with compatible phone plane have a Personal Hotspot option that allows them to share their internet connection to other devices via wifi. If you enable that on your phone, the RC Pro can connect to to the phone via a private wifi network and access the internet that way.

On an iPhone, Personal Hotspot is available in Settings.
Thanks, I use that function to get my iPad online, but I did not know that the RC Pro could use it as well. Receive mine tomorrow 🙌

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Glad you got it working. I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger on the RC Pro package so I appreciate the heads up.

I presume if you need to do a LAANC authorization, you'd have to use a hotspot to give the controller internet access to run something like B4UFLY. Would that be accurate?

Glad you got it working. I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger on the RC Pro package so I appreciate the heads up.

I presume if you need to do a LAANC authorization, you'd have to use a hotspot to give the controller internet access to run something like B4UFLY. Would that be accurate?

Yes, or just use AirMap or Aloft on your phone.

To me, the main reason to have tethering to the phone is to be able to do unexpected DJI Geozone unlocks in the field. That and downloading maps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121