DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Pro with Mavic 3 Mini Pro compass view not pointing correctly

phade

Reactions
Hello, I recently purchased an RC Pro controller and started using it with my DJI Mavic 3 Mini Pro. I noticed that the attitude/compass view
feature of DJI Fly does not work correctly. If I start pointing the controller away from the Drone, the compass view stays stuck or moves erratically.
I tried going in to the Compass Calibration setting, but when I click Start Calibrating, and then follow the animation on the screen showing how to calibrate the control, it never acknowledges the calibration. The animation just stays on the screen and I have to go back to to the home view.

Any other RC Pro owners using it with the Mavic 3 mini pro have the compass view working and pointing correctly when they move the control around?

Thank you for your help.

I have the same problem with my RC Pro controller (received last week).
After a few checks with the support team, the controller is now on its way to the service centre.

I have the same problem with my RC Pro controller (received last week).
After a few checks with the support team, the controller is now on its way to the service centre.
That’s a complete waste of time. Your replacement will perform identically. It's been a known problem since day one. Never been fixed. It's a FW bug common to every RC Pro. Only a FW update can fix the flawed compass calibration routines that says "Done" before you even have started it. In the mean time, just follow the described movement routine to recalibrate it manually, even if the calibration routine never begins. That will recalibrate it if it gets too far out of whack, but it still is always off by some 10° in the same direction. Just compensate for it, if you need to be very precise for best signal, or visually point the RC Pro at the aircraft or a landmark behind it in the direction it is flying.

Reactions: Roberto Smera
Support told me that they had tested it with their RC Pro and that the compass worked and could be calibrated.
And in my case it's not just off by about 10°, it's completely off and won't turn.

But yes, I also think it is a FW bug. A few months ago I had another RC Pro with the same bug. But this one I returned to the dealer because of another issue.

In my case it is also completely off and not just off by 10 degrees. The compass N/S/W/E spin wheel doesn't respond correctly when I move the control 360 degrees, and it almost never points to the drone. I tried doing the calibration and it never said Done for me, it just stays in the animation loop until I exit the screen.

I had issues getting the compass on my RC-PRO calibrated as well. DJI recommends to always calibrate the sticks and scroll wheels after any FW update. So I did that, and then went back to my compass calibration and it succeeded and is bang on.

Reactions: Roberto Smera
I got the RC Pro back today.
On the first test flight the compass still did not work. Then I tried the calibration, still not working.
But on the second flight the compass was fine. Strange.

That’s a complete waste of time. Your replacement will perform identically. It's been a known problem since day one. Never been fixed. It's a FW bug common to every RC Pro. Only a FW update can fix the flawed compass calibration routines that says "Done" before you even have started it. In the mean time, just follow the described movement routine to recalibrate it manually, even if the calibration routine never begins. That will recalibrate it if it gets too far out of whack, but it still is always off by some 10° in the same direction. Just compensate for it, if you need to be very precise for best signal, or visually point the RC Pro at the aircraft or a landmark behind it in the direction it is flying.
You Have it SPOT ON
Says DONE before I can Calibrate on DJI-RC

ALWAYS 10-20 Degfrees Left of my Drone - on Radar view

Reactions: GadgetGuy
New firmware (v03.02.02.00):
Fixed an occasional issue where the compass calibration was unsuccessful.
Does this May 25, 2003 RC Pro FW update also remove the "Continue" option for Waypoint Missions that lose signal? Supposedly, the "Continue” option is now missing from the very latest DJI Fly 1.10.6 version. Just not sure where DJI snuck in the Trojan Horse!

Trading a compass calibration for losing LSMC (Lost Signal Mission Continues) capability would be a very bad deal!

If not, it's coming in the next RC Pro update that updates the DJI Fly app to 1.10.6! BEWARE!

i've had this problem. the first time i had it. i recalibrated the controller. and it fixed it. the second time, the same. then after the latest firmware update (after the Air3 release), it happened again. i've calibrated the controller and the IMU multiple times and it did not work. btw - this is with a mavic 3 pro.

overall, i've never purchased as expensive of a setup and the mavic 3 pro and the rc pro that i've had the ongoing issues i've experienced. it is extremely frustrating. it has been significant disappointment. i just have one problem after another.

New firmware (v03.02.02.00):
Fixed an occasional issue where the compass calibration was unsuccessful.
It didn't fix it. Still there on even the latest RC Pro update (v03.02.04.00)!

Last edited:
i've had this problem. the first time i had it. i recalibrated the controller. and it fixed it. the second time, the same. then after the latest firmware update (after the Air3 release), it happened again. i've calibrated the controller and the IMU multiple times and it did not work. btw - this is with a mavic 3 pro.

overall, i've never purchased as expensive of a setup and the mavic 3 pro and the rc pro that i've had the ongoing issues i've experienced. it is extremely frustrating. it has been significant disappointment. i just have one problem after another.
I bought a new second RC Pro last week. On the 08/22 installed factory FW version, compass calibrated properly as indicated, after going through the motions. As soon as I updated the controller to v03.02..04.00, it now immediately says DONE! and never gives you a chance to go through the motions!

thanks for your additional context.

today, i did a test. i took the dji remote i use with my mini 3 pro and bound it to my mavic 3 pro. and i took the rc pro and bound it to my mini 3 pro. i wanted to isolate the issue as a remote issue and not a drone issue.

sure enough, after the change the mavic 3 pro's (bound connected to the dji rc) compass arrow worked as expected. and the arrow on the mini 3 pro (bound to the rc pro) did not.

there is definitely some issue with some number of rc pros. i still maintain dji is too focused on shoveling new products and ignoring the products it already has in the market. and issues with a $1000 plus remote control should not simply go unacknowledged.

even though this is a remote issue. i've had issue after issue with my mavic 3 pro.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121