DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

rc2 updating

Can we fly the RC2 remote control and mini 4 pro that came out of the newly opened box without any updates? Or is the update mandatory?
I bought mine just under 2 weeks ago (UK, direct from DJI), and yes, it came ready to fly. Updates to either firmware or RC2 were optional. 1 of them I still haven't done, because it's 1.6 GB, and I am worried about leaving the craft powered but not flying for that amount of download time in the current level of heat ! In fact I didn't do any updates initially because I wanted to see what versions it came with, and what features were missing, if any !

So far, it has to be said, I am not finding any compelling reason to update, and the software has not made me do any in the 2 weeks I have been flying it ! I am in CE mode, but I do not have the 120m altitude restriction (UK), which is correct, because our 120m rules applies to ground level where the craft is NOW, and this allows us to fly up hills, and THEN climb 120m max, and I have a C not P displayed when in Cine mode. And my compass isn't wobbly, like I hear some people's are after recent updates ! And my RC2 starts very quickly, so no need to fix that either.

Perhaps the ONLY thing mine doesn't have so far is being able to view the Vision Assist cameras, which I am told should be included functionality on the M4P, but I don't have the arrows on each side of the radar display that would allow me to access them. I do not consider this a massive loss, so it'll be another reason that makes me update if I do ! :) I shouldn't be afraid of DJI firmware updates, but am quite pensive about them, partially because I fear additional restrictions in later versions (over and above what UK law requires) and less rationally, because I also ride EUCs, and updating the firmware on those often fails and bricks the machine, which can take months to sort out. I have yet to gain confidence in DJI's updates. However they have won my trust in the aircraft stability department, so perhaps they will do it with updates too eventually !

Last edited:
You're welcome. Just popped back to say there is ONE thing I have since found that didn't work right out of the box, and that's being able to view the black and white images from the obs avoidance cameras. That option does need a firmware update.

Reactions: kursat26
You're welcome. Just popped back to say there is ONE thing I have since found that didn't work right out of the box, and that's being able to view the black and white images from the obs avoidance cameras. That option does need a firmware update.
those black and white images are not necessary, no problem

another perspective on updates yesterday i activated a brand new Mini 4 pro did all the updates and this morning before it got too hot, i went out to my local flying spot, and flew 4 batteries through it without any issues whatsoever
its like a miniture Air 3 which i also own ,flying wise its just like the Mini 3 pro ,but with the added features of its bigger brother
with every DJI drone i have ever owned, i have always kept both the APP and firmware updated ,and personally have never had any issues with any of them,i can only speak for myself on the subject

Reactions: rp6 and twickers14
Totally agree with OMM I am religious with my updates and again 🤞I have not had a problem. I know my MA2 is getting a bit long in the tooth so will be having to be disciplined when updating any new kit I acquire.

Reactions: old man mavic
direct the 'blast' from a fan over the drone or whatever whilst it is updating and remember to make sure the gimbal cover is off.
Totally agree with OMM I am religious with my updates and again 🤞I have not had a problem. I know my MA2 is getting a bit long in the tooth so will be having to be disciplined when updating any new kit I acquire.
i have always kept both the APP and firmware updated ,and personally have never had any issues with any of them,i can only speak for myself on the subject

Thanks, you are all increasing my confidence ! Are there are 'traps' you can inadvertently fall into - like doing stuff in the wrong order or anything ? I will just be so cross if I take my perfectly working machine and brick it because something went wrong during an update.

Reactions: old man mavic
the biggest mistake that a lot of people make, is not being patient enough while the update is being downloaded, and then installed some of them take quite a while ,also always try to have a full battery in the drone and at least 3 lights on the RC before you start the update and be aware that sometimes the drone will turn on and off several times during some updates ,also once the update is finished ,turn off both the drone and RC then restart them up as if you were going to fly go into about and check that you have indeed got the latest app or firmware installed
one final thing, during any update in order for it to have a successful conclusion ,you will need a good stable internet connection, so that during the download process, all the relevant data is collected and does not become corrupted

Thanks, @old man mavic. I don't have the most stable of connections, it does sometimes drop out for a second or 2, but most downloads have a resume button if that happens mid-DL. This is one of the things I fear - updates just hanging indefinitely at some mid-way percentage, and it looking like the only thing you can do is power down, which can be the very thing that bricks it. I guess I would be be more comfortable doing it if I knew it was rescuable if that happens, and how that would work.

direct the 'blast' from a fan over the drone or whatever whilst it is updating and remember to make sure the gimbal cover is off.

Or just turn the drone off after the download to the RC2 from DJI starts. It will complete downloading the firmware, and then be available to update the drone the next time it connects.

The majority of that 1.8GB is an update to the RC2, so the actual updating of the M4P doesn't take that long.

Reactions: AeroJ
Updates are not mandatory. The vast majority here will not have issues from updating the products they have. On the other side of that particular coin are those that have some form of a nightmare after some new update supplied by the good people at DJI. DJI is not forced in any way to provide exact information on what may or may not be included in said update. A reasonable approach would be research prior to clicking that update button. There will(in most cases)be information fairly soon after an update is issued if there are unwanted bugs to exterminate. A few days or weeks of waiting for others to find the proper insecticide could be very beneficial.
After seven years of DJI products through my hands, I lean towards the wait and see process and let the brave folks provide information.
Be safe!

I concur :) Just out of interest, why are you hesitant to do the updatess ?
I used Mini 4 Pro with RC N2 controller before. The aircraft software was v0200. I could reach a range of 6 km without any signal loss. In addition, I made many waypoint flights around 11 km (continue the route if the signal is lost) option. I was very pleased. I was very pleased with any of them. I never want it to lose weight and that's why I'm not keen on updates.

Here is a perfect example of the sort of situation I am seeking to avoid !!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is a perfect example of the sort of situation I am seeking to avoid !!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I did not fully understand. How is it a problem?

I did not fully understand. How is it a problem?
Did you not watch it ?! His controller freezes / goes blank at some point during the update, and then no amount of restarts or special key combinations to start it appear to bring it back to life. He tries different stuff for nearly an hour, STILL gets nowhere, and ends the video saying the only thing he can do is just leave it on, powered from mains and hope it does something other than white screen 'eventually'. As of end of video he has a bricked controller and no way to fly that machine. Which bit of that would you say has gone well ?! :)

And for that reason, until he solves his problems I won't be installing that update ! Fortunately it hasn't tried to make me do it yet although of course it is showing as available. And yet I know of at least 10 people who have had zero problems, and the ones it does work for seem very happy and apparently it does solve the hyperlapse and waypoint bugs that were in the previous version (that I also didn't have, and therefore didn't suffer from !).

It really does seem that the only thing I am missing from the versions the m4p shipped with is the vision assist camera views, which I would hardly ever use, and the ability to turn off downward sensors for hand landing. That feature I would like, but not at the expense of a bricked craft or controller !

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ