DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real Estate practice flying

.... if next year I decide I want to fly commercially and I use photography from my amatuer days on my commercial website, would I have been committing a crime post factum?

If at the time of the flight your INTENT and actions are Hobby/Recreational then no laws broken. The FAA doesn't mandate the sale/us of your pictures but rather the rules that are in place during the flight itself.

It's been noted MANY MANY MANY times that images taken during a hobby flight can be LEGALLY used in a Commercial purpose later so long as they were originally taken legally.

Your argument doesn't hold any substance . . . .

......Really?
Yes sir REALLY!!!

Flights where you're only taking house photos? Snap away and use on your site my man!

Low altitudes and very short distances where 0 harm can occur, no one cares! ?

Flights where you're only taking house photos? Snap away and use on your site my man!

Low altitudes and very short distances where 0 harm can occur, no one cares! ?

Only if you're willing to step up and help support someone who mistakenly takes your horrible keyboard advice and faces legal penalties.

Reactions: dirkclod
As BigAl07 said, it’s all in the intent of the flight at the time of the operation. If you are not currently making money from your photography, I would assume that you are engaging in photography as a hobby. So many grey areas, but if approached and asked, you are engaging in a hobby, you should be left alone.
Best advice so far was to contact your local authority, then they take the responsibility of saying yay or nay.
if your FAA is anything like CASA you may still get conflicting advice.

Only if you're willing to step up and help support someone who mistakenly takes your horrible keyboard advice and faces legal penalties.

Seeing as this is a public forum and not a .gov I didn't say it was "legal" simply stated it's such a minor offense no one is going to care. I categorize this the same as jaywalking, speeding, spitting your gum out on the highway; all considered illegal but overlooked by the majority. When you use a UAS for flights with such a low altitude, distance, and it only supports a minority of your business the UAS photos are almost the same as using a normal camera to take photos, it's silly to suggest to these folks they NEED a 107. Now if your business is primarily focused on taking photos of real estate with a UAS, Id pony up the money and study time and get a 107.

If I was acting as a GOV official I'd give the official advise, get your 107. As a buddy I'd tell you if UAS photography is only to compliment your real estate work, take the photos without it but if you want to be a wiser operator the 107 will teach you a few things.

By no means is it horrible advise as you put it.

Seeing as this is a public forum
Going off topic for 1 post but let me make something very clear.
This Is not a public forum it’s private. It is a privilege for you to be a member and that can be removed at any time With any member.
Just to make that clear to you.
No response to this just so others know you are wrong.
Want to message me fine but back on topic now .?

Reactions: merak75 and GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun