DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real time positioning in a map program?

ariburling

Reactions
I am a NYC based architectural photographer. A certain bulk of my assignments are in very easy places to fly - but some of them are in the city and knowing the rules about not flying overhead, I've been endeavoring to create a style that I can still use the drone, but still comply with faa safety regs. (Basically, in order to shoot a building exterior, I get roof access to a building a few blocks away and do tripod mode slow approaches or vertical lifts etc... meaning I only fly over fly the roof I am on so I can visually establish there is no one on the roof but me, therefore I am not overhead of an unknown person)

Does anyone know of a way I could have an assistant (yes, I could do it visually but I'm looking for more precision) use a map program where we can see the exact position of the drone on a map while its flying? I want to be able to know with certainty when I am approaching the edge of the roof and not at all be flying overhead of a street. When one is piloting it's easy to lose track of it - would be incredible to have someone call that out to me. Like... "approaching edge 10 feet- stop"

Doesn't the app already have a built in map?
Though I must say I don't know how accurate it is ........ but is our level of GPS positioning accurate enough to fulfill your need?

Besides have you seen the proposals coming out of New York City council?

Reactions: umanbean
Google maps tends to slant tall buildings to give a sort of 3d look, so it's hard to tell exactly where the roof are. So I would say the answer to your question is no.

Doesn't the app already have a built in map?
Though I must say I don't know how accurate it is ........ but is our level of GPS positioning accurate enough to fulfill your need?

Besides have you seen the proposals coming out of New York City council?
I just looked up the NYC regs - I see already I';m behind the regulations and what I initially described isn't legal as of this summer---- Thanks for the idea - now I know better.

I just looked up the NYC regs - I see already I';m behind the regulations and what I initially described isn't legal as of this summer---- Thanks for the idea - now I know better.
A p.107 cert might enable what you'd like to do. NYC is implementing a permitting process to allow flights.

The new process is an abomination, but it a slight step better than no.

Reactions: tls3601
Even though NYC is pretty restrictive on one’s freedoms, I would imagine that they would have to allow for some type of drone usage as I can’t see how they would get some things accomplished without it. Special permit, etc? When I lived in NY there was a permit/license for virtually anything and everything 🙄

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne