DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recent Trip to the Bahamas

Put my Mavic 2 Pro through its paces on a trip to the Bahamas. Shipboard operations including day / night launch and recovery, both anchored and underway, as well as distance tests, and ISO tests. LOVE THIS THING!

View attachment 107663

View attachment 107664

View attachment 107665

View attachment 107666

View attachment 107667

View attachment 107668

View attachment 107669

View attachment 107670
View attachment 107671
Beautiful pictures! Btw how do you view the metadata of photos & videos recorded with your drone?

Reactions: Heavydpj
I am assuming you were on the (sometimes moving) green sailboat piloting the drone. How did you perform the landing back on the ship, with all the obstructing ropes, cables, and sails?

I am assuming you were on the (sometimes moving) green sailboat piloting the drone. How did you perform the landing back on the ship, with all the obstructing ropes, cables, and sails?

Typically I launch and recover by hand, which is fine if you (or the boat) is stationery, I put the craft into tripod mode for that. Underway, adjusting for 3-axis movement (pitch, yaw, roll) and forward speed was a whole different story.

I used the tan shade-sail near the bow as the launch and recover point. Once I matched the boat's forward velocity, I slid sideways over the shadesail, then brought it down close, and cut power, letting it fall onto the shade sail like a trampoline.

Takeoffs were a bit easier. Set it on the shadesail, then did a max power / forward movement takeoff to clear the rigging.

I practiced several times at anchor before I attempted it underway at low speed. After several practice runs, I tried it when the boat was at full speed, then at night. I thought about launching and recovering off the stern, but there were fishing rods.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost