DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations on a strobe please

I contemplated this just yesterday as I registered my Mini 3 pro with the FAA and decided to Velcro a Vifly strobe to my bird. On the Vifly: it is plenty bright and according to 51 Drones on YouTube is FAA compliant for night flights. Even during the day during cloudy skies it is visible to 1000 feet distance but have not tested it further than that yet. They are great products for the price and for the same price as a Firehouse you can get 3. I oriented my single strobe to the right side of the craft and set it to flashing green. I figure this was I am mimicking the FAA rules for anti collision giving me a better understand of how the drone is faced. It also allows other aircraft in the area to understand which direction it is facing. I opted to not put it on the top since I could not see it when flying at maximum allowed altitude and not the bottom since other craft flying below 500 feet (😠) would not be able to see it. I plan on getting at least one more and attaching it to left side with a flashing red pattern. I am a bit worried the flight characteristics of the drone will change much and put strain on the props/give me less flight time per battery if I add a third…

I contemplated this just yesterday as I registered my Mini 3 pro with the FAA and decided to Velcro a Vifly strobe to my bird. On the Vifly: it is plenty bright and according to 51 Drones on YouTube is FAA compliant for night flights. Even during the day during cloudy skies it is visible to 1000 feet distance but have not tested it further than that yet. They are great products for the price and for the same price as a Firehouse you can get 3. I oriented my single strobe to the right side of the craft and set it to flashing green. I figure this was I am mimicking the FAA rules for anti collision giving me a better understand of how the drone is faced. It also allows other aircraft in the area to understand which direction it is facing. I opted to not put it on the top since I could not see it when flying at maximum allowed altitude and not the bottom since other craft flying below 500 feet (😠) would not be able to see it. I plan on getting at least one more and attaching it to left side with a flashing red pattern. I am a bit worried the flight characteristics of the drone will change much and put strain on the props/give me less flight time per battery if I add a third…
Please make sure you test and use these at night so you realize their true capabilities.

I will once so get my Part 107
Cool. Just as an fyi, you do not need a part 107 to fly at night. Recreational flyers can fly at night in controlled airspace with LAANC and can fly all night long and into the next day in uncontrolled airspace.

Cool. Just as an fyi, you do not need a part 107 to fly at night. Recreational flyers can fly at night in controlled airspace with LAANC and can fly all night long and into the next day in uncontrolled airspace.
This is an absolute game changer for me. I was not aware of that I was allowed to fly at night as a Recreational pilot 🧑‍✈️.Greatly appreciate your response!

This is an absolute game changer for me. I was not aware of that I was allowed to fly at night as a Recreational pilot 🧑‍✈️.Greatly appreciate your response!
No problem. When you get LAANC, it will cut you off after a certain time (way before midnight) so pay attention to your authorization "end time." It might be just getting dark by then so you won't be able to fly all night in controlled airspace because your LAANC auth will be rejected. Feel free to fly at 1am, 2am, 3am in uncontrolled airspace I know I've been known too. Red/Green/White ARC V strobes all colors can be easily seen 2 miles away...my personal max. On those, I feel 3 miles doable but the drone is way tiny right above the horizon just between the trees. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78