DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations on a strobe please

Velcro attachment has worked fine for me. Firehouse and VIFLY both work well. VIFLY is lighter, less expensive, and fine for most uses. I use a single light, mounted on top. White provides the best visibility.
Velcro is perfect for the Firehouse lights. For heavier or expensive items, it would be best if it is stuck onto the bare drone body and not over any type of decorative drone body wrap - but it would work over wrap if needed for the lights as they are so lightweight. You might end up pulling up on the wrap though if you pull the lights on an off a lot.

Last edited:
Rubber cement! Works great and comes off easy. No mess

This is a great thread, thanks.

I would like to try some night flights. I have the Mini 3 Pro and I am most concerned about compliance with FAA regulations that require 3 mile visibility. I won't go so far as to lose VLOS. I came across the LumeCube, in addition to the Vifly. Looking at the Firehouse now.

I am leaning toward the LumeCube or the Vifly. The Vifly looks interesting. You can get the three pack with the mounts and have directional lights (red/green) and the anti collision on top.

Any strobe would bring the M3P over 250 gm. I am not Part 107, but I did register my drone with the FAA. I use B4UFly before every flight, and have requested LAANC before. Anything else I need to know before I take a night flight? Especially concerned about the effect of the "payload" on how the drone operates (control more than battery life).

Last edited:
I bought the Vifly 3-pack off Amazon... noticed no change in flight characteristics or battery life. One red one green one white.

Reactions: Dbez1
Any strobe would bring the M3P over 250 gm.

Not necessarily.
Many have weighed their minis (various models) and found they can be around 242g / 243g or so, and the smaller strobes don't push them past 250g.
You have to go Vifly or perhaps FHT Dual though.

No one is going to see red / green form more than close range, they just 'merge' together as a general light in the sky.
If you want the best visibility, just get white strobes, they are well known to have the best range night or day.

I wouldn't used a Lumecube or a FHT ARCV etc on a Mini model, too heavy, too cumbersome / bulky for other flight characteristics.

Not necessarily.
Many have weighed their minis (various models) and found they can be around 242g / 243g or so, and the smaller strobes don't push them past 250g.
You have to go Vifly or perhaps FHT Dual though.

No one is going to see red / green form more than close range, they just 'merge' together as a general light in the sky.
If you want the best visibility, just get white strobes, they are well known to have the best range night or day.

I wouldn't used a Lumecube or a FHT ARCV etc on a Mini model, too heavy, too cumbersome / bulky for other flight characteristics.
Helpful, thank you. I’ll use the Vifly. Less expensive, too.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I received the Vifly. It is blindingly bright (3 miles is a long way to see!).

The device is encased in plastic. Is that holding it together, or is it packaging that needs to be removed? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7403.jpg
    IMG_7403.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I don't recall mine being wrapped in plastic like that, but don't rely on my memory... not that great these days :) someone with a more recent purchase will be along shortly I'm sure. I wouldn't cut it off yet though, can't put it back on

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I received the Vifly. It is blindingly bright (3 miles is a long way to see!).

The device is encased in plastic. Is that holding it together, or is it packaging that needs to be removed? Thanks in advance.
It’s called heat shrink tubing. Very commonly used in electrical applications.
I actually used an exacto blade and very carefully cut away the material that was covering the led’s. It does increase the amount of visible light.

It’s called heat shrink tubing. Very commonly used in electrical applications.
I actually used an exacto blade and very carefully cut away the material that was covering the led’s. It does increase the amount of visible light.
The LEDs are pretty bright already; have you tested side by side to note the difference?

Was going to say, the wrap looks partially opaque.

The FHT Duals and Arc IV strobes I have came with similar plastic shrink wrap, but it is perfectly clear.

The LEDs are pretty bright already; have you tested side by side to note the difference?
They really are bright -- blindingly -- even with the semi-opaque shrink wrap.

I checked the Amazon answered questions: stays on, see below (copy/pasted from questions):

========================================

Question:
Should the shrink wrap on the circuit board and light assembly be removed before charging and attaching to my drone, or does it stay on.
Answer:
The heatshrink stays on the device. Attach strobe to flying vehicle with double-stick tape or velcro.
By Pete Moss on April 26, 2022
The shrink wrap needs to stay on. It holds the battery to the circuitboard and protects the circuitboard as well.
By Art Rodgers on April 26, 2022
Great question. I kept the shrink wrap on and have had 8 or 9 flights with it no problem. I guess you could take it off but for now, I'm keeping it on. I'd think with the wrap off, you wouldn't get as good of a connection with the velcro, so consider that.
By mattcero on April 26, 2022
No need to remove it, just leave it stay on.
By VIFLY Drone SELLER on April 26, 2022
No need to remove it, just leave it stay on.
By VIFLY Drone SELLER on April 26, 2022

I did do a sidexside when I initially got the knife out. It was a noticeable difference to my eyes. No meters in my possession.

I did do a sidexside when I initially got the knife out. It was a noticeable difference to my eyes. No meters in my possession.
Ok thanks I have a handful; will try one myself.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan