DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recreational daytime authorization in controlled airspace

UgashikBob

Reactions
I have applied for an received almost instant authorization via aloft app to fly as a recreational flyer in controlled airspace with 100 foot and well defined space definitions. When I submitted at legal sunrise this am (6:15 am) it showed as starting now and would be effective till whatever duration up to 12 hours I specify. The confirmation I receive shows start time as 8AM which is well beyond legal sunrise. I understand no flight flights for recreational flyers in controlled airspace but why the delay from legal sunrise and sunset? As a recreational flyer/photographer this eliminates sunrise/sunset photography.

Just a guess, but is it possible that the controlled airspace you are talking about is only active starting at 8:00 AM?
I live within the KBED class D, but the control tower is only active from 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM. After 11:00 PM and before 7:00 AM it is Class G airspace, no clearance required. AOPA Airports

Reactions: MS Coast
Sectional for KIFP says tower hours are in Notams but only two Notams are not related to tower operation hours. Thanks for the suggestion.
Any one have a suggestion where I could clarify this issue.

Well there is your answer.

Per AOPA Airports
Tower Hrs: 0800-1800
CLASS D SVC 0800-1800; OTHER TIMES CLASS G

So before 8:00 AM you do not need a clearance, unless the notams say something different.

Reactions: MS Coast and sar104
I have applied for an received almost instant authorization via aloft app to fly as a recreational flyer in controlled airspace with 100 foot and well defined space definitions. When I submitted at legal sunrise this am (6:15 am) it showed as starting now and would be effective till whatever duration up to 12 hours I specify. The confirmation I receive shows start time as 8AM which is well beyond legal sunrise. I understand no flight flights for recreational flyers in controlled airspace but why the delay from legal sunrise and sunset? As a recreational flyer/photographer this eliminates sunrise/sunset photography.
30 minutes after Sunrise and 30 minutes before Sunset are considered Civil twilight per FAA regulation. Unless you're certified to fly at night is probably the reason you received those times. Since you're a recreational flyer they probably assumed you were not night certified.

30 minutes after Sunrise and 30 minutes before Sunset are considered Civil twilight per FAA regulation. Unless you're certified to fly at night is probably the reason you received those times. Since you're a recreational flyer they probably assumed you were not night certified.
No - that's not the reason, which has already been explained. It was because the airspace is Class G before 0800.

To insure my interpretation was correct I emailed the FAA and received the following response:

9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA)​

3:05 AM (2 hours ago)
to me
The Laughlin/Bullhead class D airspace is active by NOTAM. When not active, the airspace reverts to class G.
The limited exception for recreation is governed by § 44809 of Public Law 115-254, the FAA Re-Authorization Act of 2018. The law does not provide specific guidelines for night flights. However, it does state that you must operate "in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration."

Since there currently are no FAA-recognized CBOs, the FAA offers Advisory Circular (AC) 91-57B as interim safety guidance for recreational flyers. As with § 44809, the AC does not provide specific guidelines for operating at night.

What the above means is that you must be able to identify the safety guidelines, developed in coordination with the FAA, that do authorize you to fly at night.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard