DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recreational LAANC and the Online Aeronautical Knowledge Test Requirement

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reactions
What if recreational LAANC goes active but the online test has not? Will recreational pilots still be able to access LAANC without having taken the test?

"The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace.

The new law also requires:

1. Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage. "

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The TEST will NOT be available at the launch of LAANC next week nor is it supposed to be.

Until the test is created, published and the support materials made available it's not enforceable.,

What BigAI07 said. Why would you think the start of LAANC would make the test (which doesn't exist) requirement any different all of a sudden?

Reactions: dawgpilot
The TEST will NOT be available at the launch of LAANC next week nor is it supposed to be.

Until the test is created, published and the support materials made available it's not enforceable.,
I don't think you mean it is not enforceable, I think you mean the FAA won't enforce that requirement. Outcome is the same. LAANC is required to fly near airport. LAANC is not available and the FAA is enforcing that rule (at least in most places, not all). That is the reason I mention the difference.

The FAA has said that the recreational test requirement is currently being waived (since it's not available yet). There is no connection to LAANC.

The quote I posted was from the FAA website. What it says, basically, is before a recreational pilot can use LAANC he/she must pass the online aeronautical knowledge test. Since LAANC will be released before the test is available, I was asking if that fact will affect a recreational pilot's ability to use LAANC. Sorry if I didn't make it clearer. ?My assumption is it will NOT. Why would the FAA release recreational LAANC if it couldn't be used? But the FAA could say, in lieu of passing the test, only pilots registered before a particular date will be able to use it or it can only be used in limited areas or ???

Maybe I'm reading too much into what is or should be obvious.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The quote I posted was from the FAA website. What it says, basically, is before a recreational pilot can use LAANC he/she must pass the online aeronautical knowledge test.

There is no such quote on the FAA website.

The quote I posted was from the FAA website. What it says, basically, is before a recreational pilot can use LAANC he/she must pass the online aeronautical knowledge test. Since LAANC will be released before the test is available, I was asking if that fact will affect a recreational pilot's ability to use LAANC. Sorry if I didn't make it clearer. ?My assumption is it will NOT. Why would the FAA release recreational LAANC if it couldn't be used? But the FAA could say, in lieu of passing the test, only pilots registered before a particular date will be able to use it or it can only be used in limited areas or ???

Maybe I'm reading too much into what is or should be obvious.

Yes you are. It's confusing because they pushed a bit more information out than what they should have (IMHO) trying to appease the masses. They should have kept their cards close to their chest until the whole system was ready to roll out and THEN mention the test etc.

Sure there is....see Changes Coming in the Future

You are connecting the language about LAANC and the recreational test even though the FAA site doesn't make a connection between those two provisions. They are independent and have nothing to do with one another. Access to recreational LAANC has nothing to do with the recreational test being available.

Yeah, not seeing that stated. What is does state is that you need to follow CBO guidelines and later says that they will tell you what a CBO is later. What they _don't_ tell you is (I'm pretty sure) you don't need to follow this right now (someone correct me if I'm wrong. In this case you need to spend a _lot_ of time researching everything. Some people on this forum would have you believe that the only reason there is confusion is because some people don't take the short time it takes to even look at a web page. Simply not the case. As I've said, it is obvious by all the long threads about these issues. Again I say the FAA is 100 percent to blame for the confusion.

Reactions: JAW
You are connecting the language about LAANC and the recreational test even though the FAA site doesn't make a connection between those two provisions. They are independent and have nothing to do with one another. Access to recreational LAANC has nothing to do with the recreational test being available.
True. But what you said was "there is no such quote on the FAA web site" which there clearly is ( I cut and pasted it directly )
Apology accepted.
Peace out.

True. But what you said was "there is no such quote on the FAA web site" which there clearly is ( I cut and pasted it directly )
Apology accepted.
Peace out.
I think it is obvious to everyone that you simply misquoted the page by excluding the obvious text all around that quoted text.

Basically a hack job.

Oh, apology accepted.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I think it is obvious to everyone that you simply misquoted the page by excluding the obvious text all around that quoted text.

Basically a hack job.

Oh, apology accepted.
He simply asked a question and then posted a copied quote. Why are you losing your mind over that?

Reactions: pvs and JAW
Yeah, not seeing that stated. What is does state is that you need to follow CBO guidelines and later says that they will tell you what a CBO is later. What they _don't_ tell you is (I'm pretty sure) you don't need to follow this right now (someone correct me if I'm wrong. In this case you need to spend a _lot_ of time researching everything. Some people on this forum would have you believe that the only reason there is confusion is because some people don't take the short time it takes to even look at a web page. Simply not the case. As I've said, it is obvious by all the long threads about these issues. Again I say the FAA is 100 percent to blame for the confusion.
See the Federal Register from May 2019. It states there are 8 requirements that must be met in order to comply with the exception for recreational flying.
#2 is the requirement to fly in accordance with standards developed with CBOs. It goes on to say there are no recognized CBOs as of May 2019 but in the interim it lists 10 conditions based on "industry best practices" that the recreational pilot should follow. It's the old AMA stuff.
#7 is the on-line.test requirement which is waived until implemented.

I had to read it three times to really understand the FAAs requirements.

See the Federal Register from May 2019. It states there are 8 requirements that must be met in order to comply with the exception for recreational flying.
#2 is the requirement to fly in accordance with standards developed with CBOs. It goes on to say there are no recognized CBOs as of May 2019 but in the interim it lists 10 conditions based on "industry best practices" that the recreational pilot should follow. It's the old AMA stuff.
#7 is the on-line.test requirement which is waived until implemented.

I had to read it three times to really understand the FAAs requirements.

Yup, I understand that. My point is that I made the statement in another thread that the FAA was 100 percent to blame for the confusion (as they choose to implement rules that affect other people and ignore the ones (for now) that affected them). I was told it was easy for people to find these answers, they just were not taking even a moment to look. As you mentioned, it is not that easy. Far from it.

Really, Section 336 was just fine. Nothing else was needed.

Reactions: JAW
Ok gang... let's not make this "personal" and directed AT each other. Debate to your heart's content but do NOT make it personal and BE NICE.

Remember the forum rules clearly state:

• 14. We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate discourtesy or disrespect.

Warnings have been given and posts have been removed. Let's not completely tank this thread . . .

Reactions: WAXMAN and JAW
Funny how a seemingly innocuous thread can go South. The first response should have just been "yes they will". End of story. I'll take my part of the blame.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+