DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Redundancy and Safety - How reliable MA is?

Reactions
Does the Mavic Air has dual IMU and Dual compass?

How does the Vision Compass work and how can it prevent a flyaway?

I have searched a lot for further/more detailed information about these two questions - but didn’t find an definitive answer.

I also have an Spark with single everything (no redundancy), and each flight is kinda Russian roulette [emoji53] - although have mine for one year right now with no issues (but take a look at the spark foruns for the number of flyaways)

I own a Spark and and am a member of Sparkpilots.com and have been on there since the Spark first came out. The Spark does NOT experience more flyaways than other DJI drones. When one examines the circumstances or logs of those that "claim" a flyaway, "Most" of the time its user error. The Spark appeals to quite alot of people who want to get into drones and don't have the budget for an MA or MP. So most of those flyaways are from new or inexperienced pilots. My Spark has been rock-solid and I don't worry about flyaways with it. DJI builds pretty solid products, to equate flying the Spark as playing Russian Roulette is just absurd...

As I've told others who are interested in getting into the hobby is to accept the possibility you can lose ANY drone to a flyaway regardless of Model and Make. There are indeed things you can do to minimize this possibility, but one has to accept that flyaways are part of the hobby.

From what I recall and someone can correct me, the MA has a redundant IMUs and a single Compass Unit. The MA has been more "problematic" than my Spark.. Even when I fly from the same location just a different day, like stepping out onto my deck, the MA seems to ask for a Compass every couple/three times out. It's range in Wifi dense areas is worse than my Spark. On 3 occasions at only 800' out and 200' up, its lost signal suddenly and initiated auto-RTH. On the plus side the active track is much better than the MP or Spark, the camera does take better pics/vids than Spark and is more stable than the Spark...

Does the Mavic Air has dual IMU and Dual compass?

How does the Vision Compass work and how can it prevent a flyaway?

I have searched a lot for further/more detailed information about these two questions - but didn’t find an definitive answer.

I also have an Spark with single everything (no redundancy), and each flight is kinda Russian roulette [emoji53] - although have mine for one year right now with no issues (but take a look at the spark foruns for the number of flyaways)

I’ve had no fly aways but I’m careful. I watch gps, do proper checks, watch wind and keep safe. No close calls and errors are almost always user.

Since the Phantom 4 was introduced, all DJI’s drones have come with dual redundancy for IMU and compass including the spark.
However, the compass issues are most likely due to glitches in FW.
I have stayed on the first original FW when released and have had no issues with my MA. It has been very reliable so far. I have not had to calibrate anything since I unboxed it.:cool:

Reactions: MavicMo

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone