DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registering drone in UK

Mario T

Reactions
This question is for anyone in the UK or people who have traveled to the UK and flown a drone.

How long does it take for registration of a drone in the UK? Where can it be done? Has anyone from outside the UK registered a drone in the UK and how was the process?

I head out to the UK on Monday and already filled out the SRG1320 Application and going to print it out, but would like to have some advice or heads up before I do.

this is all you need at the moment unless you are a professional drone flying for a living. Make sure that you have third party liability for the u.k. and read this link. Drone code | Dronesafe
We don't have to register here in the uk yet, but it will come. Download a fly safe like uav so you can see no fly areas like prisons, airports etc.

Reactions: Mario T
I have the drone code printed and downloaded the drone assist app and created an account. I will be taking photos for me to sell and videos to use on our FB page for our tour company. Not sure if that puts me as a commercial operations applicant or not.

I have the drone code printed and downloaded the drone assist app and created an account. I will be taking photos for me to sell and videos to use on our FB page for our tour company. Not sure if that puts me as a commercial operations applicant or not.
I think it qualifies as commercial use and PFCO is required, PFCO, Permission for commercial operation. Not sure how it could be enforced if you are selling outside the UK, and not under CAA.

As brilock notes no registration required, 3rd party insurance is not legally required, but highly recommended.

Another point, your controller will automatically switch to CE mode and you will get less range than you may be used to, but still more than enough for most locations and staying in VLOS.

this is all you need at the moment unless you are a professional drone flying for a living. Make sure that you have third party liability for the u.k. and read this link. Drone code | Dronesafe
We don't have to register here in the uk yet, but it will come. Download a fly safe like uav so you can see no fly areas like prisons, airports etc.
100% Great advice to this visitor. I noted the comments about registration and you maybe interested in the changes that are coming soon New European UAV Regulations Draft

Holy bovine! If I have to do ground school and all the other things required by the CAA then I will have to pay around £1200+ VAT! That's insane! My drone cost less than that. How do drone photographers deal with this?

If you have a qualification from outside UK you can contact the CAA for an exception. You can get commercial UK insurance from Cover drone & flock who do by the day insurance. There is also moonrock who insure commercial UAV. The other alternative is to sub out the work to a local Commercial UAV operator, or get them to spend the day etc with you (probably the cheaper & easier option). there are over 3889 operators in the UK with a CAA permission. http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/20180316RptUAVcurrent.pdf

Reactions: Mario T and Moon
After Brexit, in theory, the UK can choose their own regs, but will probably comply. For the record I voted to remain, and hope we keep harmonised European rules.
Just for the record since announcing Brexit and the hype that's going on around we have continued growth and the best balance of payments in 20 years. this is just the beginning, free trade around the world and yes we will of course be close to Europe they depend on us for many things as we do them. We will then be able to control our boarders, this little Island with 70 million people and more freely coming every day cannot support this influx from Europe indefinitely. It does not matter which way we voted now, the future is looking good.

Anything transferred to another entity that they receive value from - you don't even need to have money changing hands for the definition of 'commercial operations' to apply. Selling photos = commercial. Marketing on FB = commercial. Gifting your photos to a friend to help them promote a business.... you get my point.

Anything transferred to another entity that they receive value from - you don't even need to have money changing hands for the definition of 'commercial operations' to apply. Selling photos = commercial. Marketing on FB = commercial. Gifting your photos to a friend to help them promote a business.... you get my point.

I’m going to be overly cautious and go through the process. I have set an appointment with a drone school recommend by CAA later this week. In the mean time I’m creating an operations Manual and getting insurance. Better be safe than sorry. I’ve also have the advantage of having 30 actual flight time, as in flying an airplane. This might give me a bit of credit, I hope.

I also have a couple of log books both a digital and a hard copy. I know it’s overkill but it keeps my brain working for when I get back to flying again. That’s for retirement.

Ikopta, posted earlier, might be a great chap to reach out to (real name is Dylan). He is (or was, at least before their last AGM) a board member of UK ARPAS (ARPAS | Association of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems UK), is a commercial UAV pilot himself and produces lot's of UAV related content on his YouTube channel:
Ikopta

...and with the exception of his god-awful dancing, he does seem like a bit of a good egg ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky