DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registration & Aeronautical Knowledge and Safety Test

StubbornSwiss

FAA Registered
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Greetings! My first post in the Rules & Regulations section.

I have just registered on DroneZone as a Recreational Flyer (in preparation for getting something new ;) ).

In the last two days I have been reading up on drone regs., and there does seem to be quite a bit of confusion out there.

Would someone with knowledge please confirm that as of at this time, as a recreational flyer, there is no Aeronautical Knowledge and Safety Test that I need to pass, and that this is still something we are expecting in the future.

Thank you.

Greetings! My first post in the Rules & Regulations section.

I have just registered on DroneZone as a Recreational Flyer (in preparation for getting something new ;) ).

In the last two days I have been reading up on drone regs., and there does seem to be quite a bit of confusion out there.

Would someone with knowledge please confirm that as of at this time, as a recreational flyer, there is no Aeronautical Knowledge and Safety Test that I need to pass, and that this is still something we are expecting in the future.

Thank you.
that is correct at the moment for recreational pilots

My question is along the same lines. I just got my first ever drone couple of weeks ago. So far I've registered my drone at FAADronezone, and gotten the Small UAS Certificate of registration, and the cert # for displaying on the outside of drone. Couple of questions:

1. Is there anything else I need to do before flying this drone in non-controlled airspace, i.e. my neighborhood parks, etc.
2. Does the DJI app have built in database of approved areas for flight, and is it suppose to warn you if in prohibited area?

From what I can tell - this set of rules applies to me as a recreational flier, but just making 100% sure. Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations

Thank you.

2. Does the DJI app have built in database of approved areas for flight, and is it suppose to warn you if in prohibited area?
DJI GO4 uses LAANC database of Airspace Classes and known restricted areas like National Parks. These are updated regularly in the app. GPS is used by the drone and controller to notify of any restrictions based on the database. However, there are local ordinances you should make yourself aware of to avoid a possible summons or arrest.

Reactions: dawgpilot
My question is along the same lines. I just got my first ever drone couple of weeks ago. So far I've registered my drone at FAADronezone, and gotten the Small UAS Certificate of registration, and the cert # for displaying on the outside of drone. Couple of questions:

1. Is there anything else I need to do before flying this drone in non-controlled airspace, i.e. my neighborhood parks, etc.

From what I can tell - this set of rules applies to me as a recreational flier, but just making 100% sure. Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations

Thank you.
Only a suggestion... maybe use Kittyhawk or Airmap to confirm it's OK to fly where your at. Check local city/park rules. Learn how to read sectionals, NOTAMs and TFRs.

Do not only depend on DJI to tell you if it's legal to fly. Dronerdave's advice is wise.

Appreciate the replies. NOTAMs/TFRs look interesting, I never knew about that kind of info. I'm guessing Kittyhawk and Mavic Airsense work together? (I don't think applicable to my Mavic 1 Pro). Airmap seems like a great resource. Question: Do I need to check the B4U fly app if flying in a new area or the built-in DJI database is sufficient?

Appreciate the replies. NOTAMs/TFRs look interesting, I never knew about that kind of info. I'm guessing Kittyhawk and Mavic Airsense work together? (I don't think applicable to my Mavic 1 Pro). Airmap seems like a great resource. Question: Do I need to check the B4U fly app if flying in a new area or the built-in DJI database is sufficient?

Like I said above, you can't rely on DJI's map to stay legal. Always consult Airmap/Kittyhawk or the FAA's own facility maps.

I am a brand new member and a brand new drone owner. I just registered for my drone and received a ' UAS Certificate Number' one of the requirement to fly states that I need to ' Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test '. I read the comments above but they are a few months old, can someone help clarify the latest and if this is:
  • True
    • How to I take this test?
  • False
    • Why is it listed as a requirement?

Thank you

It's not out yet in the USA. It's coming...stay tuned. [edit] I'm referring to a recreational test for recreational flying.

Last edited:
I am a brand new member and a brand new drone owner. I just registered for my drone and received a ' UAS Certificate Number' one of the requirement to fly states that I need to ' Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test '. I read the comments above but they are a few months old, can someone help clarify the latest and if this is:
  • True
    • How to I take this test?
  • False
    • Why is it listed as a requirement?

Thank you
To operate a UAS will become more difficult. As a rec flyer. Just make sure your not busting airspace, 2, local ordinance. Never rely on any digital platform to say your legal. Have a sectional and learn how to read it. I fly GA and use foreflight as a backup. I haven't found a UAS app that I trust yet

Trying to figure out if the test is now live for recreational flyers in the USA. I’ve been trying to search and it seems like it is. Could someone clarify? Last modify on FAA’s site says Dec 02, 2020 with the test coming in the future.

Trying to figure out if the test is now live for recreational flyers in the USA. I’ve been trying to search and it seems like it is. Could someone clarify? Last modify on FAA’s site says Dec 02, 2020 with the test coming in the future.
The test still isn't out, thus the requirement is still being waived.

Reactions: djidr and Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803