DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registration & part 107 question

Jimmytpi

Reactions
So I just bought a drone and was going to register it. When I got to the question of hobbiest or part 107, I hesitated. I do not have part 107 yet but just started studying for it. Thinking a week or two before I will sign up for the test. Should I wait to register it until I get my license? Can I change it after I do ? Any input would be appreciated.

You can legally fly it if you register as a recreational flier then change your status after the test. Thats what I’m doing right now. It has been good since I recieved permission to fly mine close to our local airport if I provided them with my FAA# and monitored their CTAF/Unicom traffic while doing it - great practice for the test as I’m becomming familiarized with aeronautical terms and comm’s.

You can legally fly it if you register as a recreational flier then change your status after the test. Thats what I’m doing right now. It has been good since I recieved permission to fly mine close to our local airport if I provided them with my FAA# and monitored their CTAF/Unicom traffic while doing it - great practice for the test as I’m becomming familiarized with aeronautical terms and comm’s.
Thank you, I wasnt sure if you could change your status. Thanks again and happy flying.

I registered mine originally as Fly4Fun. Cost me $5 to register. After my 107 test. I registered as 107. Cost me another $5 for same drone, different number.

So I just bought a drone and was going to register it. When I got to the question of hobbiest or part 107, I hesitated. I do not have part 107 yet but just started studying for it. Thinking a week or two before I will sign up for the test. Should I wait to register it until I get my license? Can I change it after I do ? Any input would be appreciated.

Is registration required? I may need to get my rear in gear.......

Is registration required? I may need to get my rear in gear.......
My understanding was that because I had changed my status from a Recreational pilot to a commercial pilot, I was required to change my drone's status. Maybe, maybe not. I can only suggest one to read the we site a little closer. Also, I do not believe you can register until successfully completing the 107 exam. Sorry not much help right now.

The Part 101 (336) registration just gets you a single registration number to put on all your aircraft. It's not valid for flying under Part 107. A Part 107 registration gets a unique number for each drone, and it's also valid if you fly under Part 101. So if you are planning to become Part 107 certified then you may as well go ahead and register your aircraft under Part 107.

The Part 101 (336) registration just gets you a single registration number to put on all your aircraft. It's not valid for flying under Part 107. A Part 107 registration gets a unique number for each drone, and it's also valid if you fly under Part 101. So if you are planning to become Part 107 certified then you may as well go ahead and register your aircraft under Part 107.
Thank you.

Thank you.

For me- I knew it would be a little while before I tested and wanted to fly before that, so I did register as a recreational flier first. Either way, you will be legit flying it under approval.

If I didnt do the registration, the fine for flying unregistered wouldn’t be the biggest issue for me, it would be knowing that I could be banned from flying and losing the ability to get a certificate in the future that would hurt. Definitely get a 107 or recreationally register it before you fly!

I have to register it.

Here is an excellent web site to help you start your journey.

Start Here -

Johnathan is both a Part 107 pilot and fixed wing pilot. He's also a lawyer specializing in many things FAA. He has excellent resources available (for free) to help you along on your journey to becoming a Part 107 certified pilot. There really is a lot he has to offer that is free and available on his www. Truly, I would recommend a pitstop at his site and a looky see at what he has to offer. He also has some YouTube videos on line as well.

Reactions: Jimmytpi and sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckp