DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Relics of an old war - Two MiGs and a Mil Mi-?

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

Part of the Bahirdar war memorial for victims of the civil war in Ethiopia during the 80s and 90s. These derelict war machines are not entirely authentic. Some of the body work looked like fiber glass to me. Footage was underexposed I think, first attempt at using the PoI mode. Only my second attempt at putting a video together, so I could really use your comments. Shot on a Mavic Air, edited with Davinci Resolve 15.

Thanks! Will try out some transition effects in my next one, noted down :)

Part of the Bahirdar war memorial for victims of the civil war in Ethiopia during the 80s and 90s. These derelict war machines are not entirely authentic. Some of the body work looked like fiber glass to me. Footage was underexposed I think, first attempt at using the PoI mode. Only my second attempt at putting a video together, so I could really use your comments. Shot on a Mavic Air, edited with Davinci Resolve 15.

Yes, you're definitely underexposed. Did you try boosting the exposure level in post? You could probably enhance it some but nothing beats getting the exposure set more correctly for the scene in the camera. Interesting place but pretty sad I would think.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. I adjusted exposure settings just after take off while the camera was level with the horizon. Once the camera pointed down, the exposure was all wrong. Didn't know I couldn't adjust camera settings while in POI mode until today. Lesson learned.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. I adjusted exposure settings just after take off while the camera was level with the horizon. Once the camera pointed down, the exposure was all wrong. Didn't know I couldn't adjust camera settings while in POI mode until today. Lesson learned.
Gotcha. Did you try to increase the exposure level in Davinci? I use Premiere so don't really know anything about Davinci but I think it has color correcting capabilities.

Gotcha. Did you try to increase the exposure level in Davinci? I use Premiere so don't really know anything about Davinci but I think it has color correcting capabilities.
Davinci Resolve does have those capabilities; I am just not that good with them; I will do some reading on how to fix exposure in post. like I said, I am still learning. May be this should be my practice footage :)

Davinci Resolve does have those capabilities; I am just not that good with them; I will do some reading on how to fix exposure in post. like I said, I am still learning. May be this should be my practice footage :)
There should be a "simple slider" that will allow you to goose the exposure level up which will provide more detail in your clips. There are probably also sliders for contrast, shadows, black's, white's, etc. if you really want to get crazy!

Nice

- While editing, try to keep footage without aircraft tilting
- If you're flying right and then forward (or something like this), crop it to two transitions
- If you fly around the object, try to keep stick positions
- Try to do everything smoother and keep the same speed in a frame. There are few moments, when you start filming and flying at the same time, simply go a little further, start filming, start flying and then cut the place when your speed changes

There should be a "simple slider" that will allow you to goose the exposure level up which will provide more detail in your clips. There are probably also sliders for contrast, shadows, black's, white's, etc. if you really want to get crazy!
I checked Davinci Resolve again; if there is a setting for to increase exposure, I am unable to find it. I guess I will have to do it the hard way, play with shadows, midtones, and highlights.

Happy to help! Share more plane vids!
I am definitely going back there again. Had only one battery last time and didn't get all the angles.

Edit:
Plus, there is also this monument (screen grab from when I was hand landing). I guess that makes one more reason to go back.vlcsnap-2019-08-08-09h42m18s942.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Proffy
Sorry nothing to see with underexposure. I plan to go for wildlife photography in Ethiopia on coming Feb. Any specific regulation for drones there? There is still unrest in some areas of the country. Thanks

Any specific regulation for drones there? There is still unrest in some areas of the country. Thanks
There are no laws about drones yet; there has been talk of one being in the pipeline but no info on when it will come out. This is not really that great because you are at the mercy of whoever is in charge everywhere you go. You may be allowed to fly, or you may not depending on how they feel about it. There is even some posts here in this forum by people whose drones were confiscated.

As for the unrest, things are still uncertain and unpredictable. It really depends on which parts of the country you will be travelling to. February is still a long time away however and I am hopeful things will calm down by then.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo