DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

remote connection lost

keat63

Reactions
I bought a used mavic pro last week.
I've hoverd it about my back garden, but no more than a few feet away.
Out flying in the open today, in beginner mode, and after about 15 minutes of flying, I lost control of the drone.
A message on the Go4 app said 'remote connection lost'
The mavic then initaited RTH and hovered about 5 feet off the ground in front of me.

I couldn't get it to land using the sticks.
So I rebooted the remote controller, took back control and finished the landing safely.

Switched everything off and back on again, and tried again.
This time it was only maybe 4 meters away from me when it did the same.

Any ideas please before I send it back

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
Mate haven’t had that trouble with my MPP, have you tried to reload the firmware, just saying.
Regards

I'm just doing a refresh on the firmware as I type, batteries on charge, where i'll be going back out for another try.
Strange as it flew fine for the first 10 or 15 minutes.

Just been back out and done two battery cylces without a hitch.
This is what I did before going back out.

Refreshed firmware on the controller, then the mavic with battery one and again on the mavic with battery two.
I re-bound the controller to the mavic.
I replaced the short controller to phone cable, with a full sized USB plugged in to the bottom socket.
I put my phone in to airplane mode.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: mereflyer
Just been back out and done two battery cylces without a hitch.
This is what I did before going back out.

Refreshed firmware on the controller, then the mavic with battery one and again on the mavic with battery two.
I re-bound the controller to the mavic.
I replaced the short controller to phone cable, with a full sized USB plugged in to the bottom socket.
I put my phone in to airplane mode.

Fingers crossed.
Please post the result. TIA.

It performed ok through two batteries.
I still somewhat nervous though.
I'm betting it was: "I replaced the short controller to phone cable, with a full sized USB plugged in to the bottom socket."
throw away the other cable.

If you are using Android you might find my picture useful.

Attachments

• BT 300.jpg
    BT 300.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201030_110004.jpg
    IMG_20201030_110004.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
Could the short cable have been the cause of the problem.
I guess it could cause the controller to lose connection with the phone, but why would the controller lose connection with the Mavic ?

Reactions: Thomas B
cables wll disconnect i bought a used that wouldn,t go anywhere at any speeds had to calibrate sensors

I just don't understand why the short cable could cause a loss of comms between the drone and the remote.
Unless it caused some corruption in the data transmission from the controller.

I've brought it into work today where I can perform some tests, take the props off and walk down the far end of the plant.

Last edited:
I bought a used mavic pro last week.
I've hoverd it about my back garden, but no more than a few feet away.
Out flying in the open today, in beginner mode, and after about 15 minutes of flying, I lost control of the drone.
A message on the Go4 app said 'remote connection lost'
The mavic then initaited RTH and hovered about 5 feet off the ground in front of me.

I couldn't get it to land using the sticks.
So I rebooted the remote controller, took back control and finished the landing safely.

Switched everything off and back on again, and tried again.
This time it was only maybe 4 meters away from me when it did the same.

Any ideas please before I send it back
I discovered a fix for the small usb mini connection socket on the controller. If that socket is loose when any of the mini cables are plugged in it needs to be tightened (without plug inserted), by inserting a small flat knife blade above the top side of the socket and gently prising the outer metal slightly downwards until the plug can be inserted with a definite firmness enough that eliminates the movement .

This works for me and I would do it again if needed. I always use this mini socket for charging, but use the large USB socket for connection to my Samsung Tab "A"

See if it works for you K and let us know!

For the charging port, I've ordered a magnetic usb charging cable, the dongle thing can stay attached all the time.
For connection to my phone, I've ordered a shorter USB to USB-C cable which I intend to run from the bottom socket.

Thinking back, I don't know if I panicked when I saw 'Remote Connection Lost' and maybe I initiated RTH ??
I just don't recall.

But I'm unable to recreate the fault.
I can wiggled the short cable with no loss of signal, and if I pull the short cable out, then I see 'disconnected'
not 'Remote Connection Lost'
And when disconnected, I can still control the Mavic with the controller.

Can anyone shed any light on what 'Remote Connection Lost' actually means.
Does this mean the RC lost contact with the Mavic or lost it with the phone ??

I'll take a look at the logs this evening.

Something else which happened which may or may not be relevent.

During my training flight, the phone beeped with a message "Are you sure to exit beginner mode" (or words to that effect)
I said 'No', but it did this again a few minutes later.
After about 4 or 5 occurances, I said 'Yes' just to stop it happening.

It wasn't long after this where I had the problem.

I'm not sure if these are the correct logs.
I can't find anything on the Mavic with the date stamp of the 9th.
In fact, I took it to work on the 10th and can't find any time stamps from when I was at work either, only after I got home at 6pm.
These I've taken from my phone.
Timings are vague.
I'd say I went out about 10am, came back about 11am.
Spent two hours recharging the batteries and firmware updates, then went back out about 1pm ish.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121