DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID - Air 2s?

The problem as I see it, and I very well could be wrong, is that I don't think the FAA really knows what it wants or how best to implement it or else everything would have been laid out for us to be armchair lawyers and engineers to pick apart. Instead they put forth a general concept of what they want and expected everyone to 'just get it'. I think thats why even DJI isn't guaranteeing that they meet the requirements and so many other companies are focusing on sub250g drones. With the Air2s I think they probably hoped as the industry leader for consumer drones that what they had already installed for the MA2 and Air2s was going to be good enough to comply. Take these 2 statements from DJI
'This careful phase-in period gives time for the drone industry to develop standards for the Remote ID radio broadcast, and for the FAA to confirm that these methods comply with the rules' and 'Most likely, that means drones will send a Bluetooth or WiFi signal that can be received by a smartphone'. How can DJI be sure that what's already in place will meet standards that haven't been fully developed yet and if its' most likely' wifi or Bluetooth that doesn't mean it is, just that DJI sees it as the easiest or cheapest way.
(This is but one "guess", but in reality it is what they have been lobbying for since the FAA started this Crap to help us the consumer not have to go to 4g systems and other such nonsense) Add in to that is DJI having said that our drones ADS-B( an existing aviation standard) recieves signals from aircraft but makes no reference( that I've seen at least) to what standard it broadcasts our FAA registration info (This is a falsehood, DJI has no way of knowing your FAA registration number, nor has the FAA required such) or whether it's Aeroscope technology for detecting the signals that some current drones do broadcast meets US or international standards. (Aeroscope was designed years ago, long before any of this started, but in someways along with what is being asked now, the two are not the same in anyway now connected nor planned to be, and AeroScope only works with DJI systems) I'm torn between being very worried about the bigger drones I do have needing to be upgraded or permanently parked and on the other hand feeling like well I've already upgraded from a MM to an MA2 in less than a year AND bought a Mini2 just because so I'm likely going to be on drones 5 and 6, ready for 7 and 8 by the time the laws are fully in place.
I don't think your really understanding the situation or have a true grasp on any of this. Given in the one post above this (#17) you say this, basically blaming and presuming DJI for things, then retract it with this post (Below is quote of #17 post)...Your mixing and giving falsehoods and trying to out think the FAA it seems.

The simple thing is they (FAA) have a plan with no real plan, DJI gave them a option over a year ago, but marketed their products regardless, they included their option (proposed to FAA) in their latest offerings, but as the FAA haven't a clue what is what and how it will work...how in heavens name could DJI reasonably say what their products are capable of to be updated (Firmware), when the FAA has no clue what they are doing in the first place...makes no sense to even bring that up honestly IMHO.

This is encouraging, but DJI is still quite vague about which of their current drones will be able to be updated for compliance. It is disturbing to me that even though the Air 2s was launched just days before the April 21 date when the new regulations became official, they still have not said specifically whether or not even the Air 2s will be updateable.

Somehow I don't feel warm and fuzzy about DJI's love and support for their customers who already own their products. "Maybe" your product will be updateable . . . keep buying and just trust us.

April 21st was a 107 re-certification release and did nothing about remote ID, it was for night flight and operation over people, it has nothing to do with recreational pilots, not sure why you brought that up either??? Drone makers have to comply with Remote ID requirements starting September 16th, 2022, (This is not set in stone if the FAA still hasn't figured it all out by then then all dates go bye-bye and are pushed back) While all pilots will have to meet Remote ID requirements (or fly within limitations) a year later on September 16th, 2023.

So in conclusion, there is no sense in even discussing or worrying about something that isn't a conceptual plan, and isn't even set in stone with dates. In no way will any product become a paperweight regardless (3rd party modules will be out and a dime a dozen by then). The whole topic is just ridiculous at this juncture, go fly...you have over 2+ years to worry about it...if then. :)

Last edited:
I don't think your really understanding the situation or have a true grasp on any of this. Given in the one post above this (#17) you say this, basically blaming and presuming DJI for things, then retract it with this post (Below is quote of #17 post)...Your mixing and giving falsehoods and trying to out think the FAA it seems.

The simple thing is they (FAA) have a plan with no real plan, DJI gave them a option over a year ago, but marketed their products regardless, they included their option (proposed to FAA) in their latest offerings, but as the FAA haven't a clue what is what and how it will work...how in heavens name could DJI reasonably say what their products are capable of to be updated (Firmware), when the FAA has no clue what they are doing in the first place...makes no sense to even bring that up honestly IMHO.

This is encouraging, but DJI is still quite vague about which of their current drones will be able to be updated for compliance. It is disturbing to me that even though the Air 2s was launched just days before the April 21 date when the new regulations became official, they still have not said specifically whether or not even the Air 2s will be updateable.

Somehow I don't feel warm and fuzzy about DJI's love and support for their customers who already own their products. "Maybe" your product will be updateable . . . keep buying and just trust us.

April 21st was a 107 re-certification release and did nothing about remote ID, it was for night flight and operation over people, it has nothing to do with recreational pilots, not sure why you brought that up either??? Drone makers have to comply with Remote ID requirements starting September 16th, 2022, (This is not set in stone if the FAA still hasn't figured it all out by then then all dates go bye-bye and are pushed back) While all pilots will have to meet Remote ID requirements (or fly within limitations) a year later on September 16th, 2023.

So in conclusion, there is no sense in even discussing or worrying about something that isn't a conceptual plan, and isn't even set in stone with dates. In no way will any product become a paperweight regardless (3rd party modules will be out and a dime a dozen by then). The whole topic is just ridiculous at this juncture, go fly...you have over 2+ years to worry about it...if then. :)
You're right that I don't have a firm grasp or understanding of the whole situation and that's the problem. A lot of us dont so we are left discussing things in forums with each other and exchanging facts and falsehoods. Some of my contraddictory statements are me playing devils advocate for both sides, some are me revisiting things with a new opinion and others honestly are I'm as confused as the next guy. Having said that I don't believe I made reference to anything other that ads-b and what it probably/ possibly/ might entail. Not the nightflight or 107 stuff. But on the FAA site it does state that almost all of the RID countdown to compliance took effect on the 21st, not just the 107 recert. I could be wrong and none of it is accurate or updated but when you go to the source and its saying April 21st for RID then you tend to believe it. If this digital license plate that keeps getting referenced in articles is in fact your faa registration number and DJI currently offers us a voluntary means of transmitting it in Fly as it stands then I'm not wrong concerning that. I brought up Aeroscope because when I went to check on what exactly I was currently broadcasting and (hopefully) how with this (at the moment) optional service I've found it is much harder to get to than when I last accessed it and now says it does so via Aeroscope, which I don't think is how it was presented the last time. Not that how or where I found it in Fly matters, nor does it mean that is what the final broadcast standard is going to be or based off of but DJI does have a way of knowing and broadcasting our faa number, if only locally from the drone and not their servers. Because we have, or will, type it in to the app. Again, I'm not saying I'm right about any of this, and very well could be absolutely wrong on most but if in searching for the correct info what pops up most is A or there are conflicting statements from governing bodies as well as industry about whether A, B or X is correct its hard for the layman to navigate the truth. It may be as simple as a firmware update for most of us on this forum or it could mean something that is more physically intrusive or expensive. Quality lights from companies like Firehouse run $20, $40 or more and they are simply lights. If I was to venture a guess with the need for some kind of input port for our info, onboard storage for said info, a battery to supply power, gps and a transmitter that meets FAA regs I'm thinking that the aftermarket beacons won't be a dime a dozen but much higher. Then it comes to whether I want to pay that much to fly a 2 or 3 year old drone or retire her to the boneyard since I might have newer drones that do comply. And that's a call each of us would have to make on our own.

Per the FAA :All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft.
Since the sub250g category does not require you to register unless flying part 107 you are exempt.
Thank you! I'm relieved to hear that! I think where I got twisted up was that I was confusing that *all* pilots, 107 and hobbyists had to comply, vs unregistered drones not having to comply.

I'm a new member, and I'm very interested in purchasing a first drone. I apologize if this has already been discussed.

What are the implications of the new remote ID requirements on the Air 2s. Has DJI committed to making this model compliant with the upcoming remote ID requirements in the US? Are there known options available for remote ID modules that will work with the Air 2s?

Basically, is it wise to purchase a drone like the Air 2s now? Or would it be prudent to wait until compliance options are for sure available?

I don't want to purchase a drone like the Air 2s, and h lose the ability to operate it legally within a couple years.

David

I'm a new member, and I'm very interested in purchasing a first drone. I apologize if this has already been discussed.

What are the implications of the new remote ID requirements on the Air 2s. Has DJI committed to making this model compliant with the upcoming remote ID requirements in the US? Are there known options available for remote ID modules that will work with the Air 2s?

Basically, is it wise to purchase a drone like the Air 2s now? Or would it be prudent to wait until compliance options are for sure available?

I don't want to purchase a drone like the Air 2s, and then lose the ability to operate it legally within a couple years.

David
Hi David there two types remote ID
Standard remote ID ,and Broadcast remote ID. I called Dji and asked about remote ID his answer was Air2s does have it but which one
I do not know.
Doug

Reactions: Xitor
Hi David there two types remote ID
Standard remote ID ,and Broadcast remote ID. I called Dji and asked about remote ID his answer was Air2s does have it but which one
I do not know.
Doug
Seems like it would be "standard" remote ID, which is built in, as there are no known add-on "broadcast" modules offered by DJI that would qualify as "broadcast" remote ID.

Now whether whatever built-in remote ID DJI claims it has ends up being compliant with whatever rules ever coalesce from the ether of the unknown, no one really knows right now.

I don't want to purchase a drone like the Air 2s, and then lose the ability to operate it legally within a couple years.

David
This might not be remote id but when I was setting up my 2s the first time the other day I had to select whether I turn on an option to allow others to see and track the drone while flying as well as how much of my personal info (first and last name or just first etc) I wanted to provide to other people tracking it or turn it off completely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242