DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID for MA 2

mrsr71

Reactions
Howdy,

With great hesitation, I finally updated my MA 2 with the latest firmware (drone, batteries, and controller). My suspicions for problems/flight issues were unfounded and everything works fine.

Question: with the intended remote ID debuting this coming September 16th, and having the latest firmware, will I be able to takeoff and fly “if” I neglect to add any remote ID module to my Air 2? (This is assuming that any updates to the Air 2 will not include any remote ID provision.)

Thanks...Dan

Howdy,

With great hesitation, I finally updated my MA 2 with the latest firmware (drone, batteries, and controller). My suspicions for problems/flight issues were unfounded and everything works fine.

Question: with the intended remote ID debuting this coming September 16th, and having the latest firmware, will I be able to takeoff and fly “if” I neglect to add any remote ID module to my Air 2? (This is assuming that any updates to the Air 2 will not include any remote ID provision.)

Thanks...Dan
There is nothing stated about the Air 2 being made compliant via firmware. If that turns out to be the case, a RID module will need to be used.

For a current list of all RID-compatible drones click here.

There is nothing stated about the Air 2 being made compliant via firmware. If that turns out to be the case, a RID module will need to be used.

For a current list of all RID-compatible drones click here.
The question is: If I don't use one, will I be able to take off?
I understand if I'm ABLE to takeoff without one, I'd be braking the law.

The question is: If I don't use one, will I be able to take off?
I understand if I'm ABLE to takeoff without one, I'd be braking the law.
There is no information at this time (that I can find)

Reactions: mrsr71
How is it that the Mavic Pro Platinum is RID compliant and the Mavic 2 Pro is not? I am assuming the Mavic Pro Platinum has reached End-Of-Life and is no longer supported by DJI. I am not aware of any modules yet that will enable me to fly my Mavic 2 Pro and be compliant with RID.

Reactions: jmaganaski
Don't quote me on this, but I would suspect that after Sept 16 2023 (in the USA) most, if not all, DJI drones that are not in RID compliance via built-in or mod will not be able to launch
How is it that the Mavic Pro Platinum is RID compliant and the Mavic 2 Pro is not? I am assuming the Mavic Pro Platinum has reached End-Of-Life and is no longer supported by DJI. I am not aware of any modules yet that will enable me to fly my Mavic 2 Pro and be compliant with RID.
That is a good question. You should contact DJI about this issue. I scratch my head when I think that the Mavic 2 is not RID compliant and the Mavic 2s is.

Don't quote me on this, but I would suspect that after Sept 16 2023 (in the USA) most, if not all, DJI drones that are not in RID compliance via built-in or mod will not be able to launch

That is a good question. You should contact DJI about this issue. I scratch my head when I think that the Mavic 2 is not RID compliant and the Mavic 2s is.
I contacted DJI support about this issue. They said the Mavic 2 series drones will be RID compliant through firmware updates before the RID compliance date is reached.

I contacted DJI support about this issue. They said the Mavic 2 series drones will be RID compliant through firmware updates before the RID compliance date is reached.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing

As noted, we'll see a lot of firmware updates for compliance.

For those drones that don't get the firmware update, I don't see how/why DJI would prohibit take off. Your path to being legal is likely an external module. The drone will have no idea there is an external module or not, so it has no idea if you are compliant. Would be foolish to ground a drone that could be perfectly legal.

Will be interesting though if DJI prevents form takeoff a drone that DOES have firmware for remote id, but that firmware has not been loaded.

why DJI would prohibit take off
The same reason you can't fly a DJI drone in a NFZ without FAA approval and an unlock code from DJI (would be my guess).

I asked a member of the FAA Safety team about this and his reply was,"There are a couple of drones (Avata for example) that won't take off if RID isn't working. They shouldn't be doing that yet. GPS-denied environments are also an issue."

The same reason you can't fly a DJI drone in a NFZ without FAA approval and an unlock code from DJI (would be my guess).

I asked a member of the FAA Safety team about this and his reply was,"There are a couple of drones (Avata for example) that won't take off if RID isn't working. They shouldn't be doing that yet. GPS-denied environments are also an issue."

I obviously don't have any concrete evidence of what DJI will do, but the example you have is when DJI knows (or thinks, because sometimes it is wrong, like flying indoors in a NFZ) that you are in violation. Any drones requiring remote ID manufactured after October 2022 should actually not takeoff if RID isn't working. Drones purchased before then have a little more time, but that's actually how Remote ID is supposed to work.

But the drone has no idea if you have an external module, which would be the only way to fly older drones once R-ID is fully implemented. I could see a checkbox or something that says you acknowledge Remote ID is required, or that you have an external module, but imagine the uproard if DJI just bricked every older drone.

Reactions: Duke_Mulligan
I obviously don't have any concrete evidence of what DJI will do
No one does at the moment. However, you can already know (rather the drone is able to take off or not) that after Sep 2023 if RID stays on course, you will not be able to legally fly your drone in the USA without it.

I'm a little confused (nothing new). Since some drones will need an external module to do RID, how will the drone itself know that you do or don't have the external module and thus possibly refuse to take off?

Reactions: 13_Dragons
DJI or any other manufacturer isn’t going to just ground your drone and not allow it to fly. The regulation isn’t written specifically about internal RID or firmware updated drones. Some older drones will only be able to use external RID modules. An external RID module will have its own power source, be turned on separately from the drone, its own broadcast channel and would be completely independent of the drone other than being attached to it. No drone manufacturer would be able to tell whether or not you were using one. Even if the module needs to be registered in drone zone I doubt anyone at any manufacturer is going to be scouring the FAA’s sight.

Also, the rule has a very specific part discussing being able to fly without RID at specific approved locations. While I suppose they could attempt to keep drones from flying via geo fencing, it would be virtually impossible for any drone manufacturer to know every location where RID free flying will be allowed given that it’s possible it could change frequently.

My guess, as was stated earlier, is there will be some sort of startup message about the requirement and your need to make sure you’re compliant and that’s about it. Then the onus is on the RPIC.

Just my opinion.

If it needs an external module, it won't communicate with the drone, so the drone will be able to fly both with or without it. Only DJI drones compliant with RID will need to RID to function properly before takeoff.

Reactions: 13_Dragons
There are a number of approved modules on the FAA’s compliance page. The problem is, they all look kind of flimsy and they’re wildly pricey, especially knowing that the M2P already has the capability for RID. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, rugged and reasonably priced module? Oh, that’s also approved on the FAA’s compliance site?

And if my home built FPV with the 03 air unit does not have RID???? How does it know if it is over or under the 249gm?

Howdy,

Thanks...Dan
I have a mavic air 2 also,and still have not updated the firmware.I guess we will no a lot more in the coming months
about where to get a module for it.For all of the misery RID is already causing,all I can say is the modules better be
cheap.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078