DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID Question

Not quite. The effective date remains September 15, 2023. The FAA said they will consider waiving enforcement for cases involving people who have been unable to add RID capability to their drone, and that leniency will end on March 16, 2024.

RID becomes mandatory on Friday. But the FAA won't hold your feet to the fire if you make a convincing case for having been unable to find an RID module for your drone.

Those of us with recent model DJI drones are already flying with RID operating. Friday seems like no big deal for us.

EDIT: There was a post earlier today from the Pilot Institute with a copy of the FAA statement and a link.
I had a similar post but I deleted it because I thought it was argumentative and didn't want to address the notice from that angle. The point being is in rare circumstances (like your insurance carrier requires it), it's a defacto postponement and there will be some who argue with you on this piece:

If you fly a Mavic 2 and you placed an order for a broadcast module because your sw update isn't ready until December, you are now free to cancel your order and you can still fly next week, not because you do so based on this notice but because there is no enforcement....which in any legal setting would amount to the same thing. Even if this isn't specifically allowed based on the notice, it's what will happen which again, means something. So while I agree with you, I didn't want to argue that point with anyone who took issue with me for overlooking the "intent." Again, I know what the notice says but anyone who thinks you may have to prove you have a backorder else you get fined...they can place an $0 order with me and I'll put everyone on backorder with expected ship date in March. :)

I may remind people of the specifics but I had no plans to update anyone who had their own interpretation of the notice as long as they didn't think RID was gone for good because it isn't. I had a few folks ask if standard RID in these drones could be turned off and the answer is No.

It has become almost a Catch - 22 if you fly without "the MAN" will get you and if you put one on either internal or external then DJI will worm out. Geez, give us a break. I know DJI reads this forum its about time they chimed in and tell us where we stand with this requirement. Or they could offer an update to their Refresh program and add the module in for us.
That is what I'll name my module when I get one (the man)

If you're flying a stock Mini SE (no accessories attached causing it to exceed 249 grams) and are flying for recreational purposes only, you won't need to transmit RID data.

This isn't quite right. Even if your drone is under 250g, if you have registered it, you must use RID.

"Drones which are required to be registered or have been registered, including those flown for recreation, business, or public safety, must comply with the rule on Remote ID."

Major bummer.

FAA: You are hurting the little guys!!!

This isn't quite right. Even if your drone is under 250g, if you have registered it, you must use RID.

"Drones which are required to be registered or have been registered, including those flown for recreation, business, or public safety, must comply with the rule on Remote ID."

Major bummer.

FAA: You are hurting the little guys!!!

Apparently the FAA website is wrong! A registered (stock) Mini 2 does not require RID-- I registered mine and they accepted the No RID check mark. Who's running this circus?

Apparently the FAA website I quoted is wrong! A registered (stock) Mini 2 does not require RID-- I registered mine and they accepted the No RID check mark. Who's running this circus?
The FAA website is not wrong.

The FAA doesn't prohibit *any* drone (regardless of weight) from adding RID details. If you fly your Mini 2 for commercial purposes, your particular Mini 2 must registered and must broadcast RID either as standard or using a broadcast module. You add or register your drone and you include the RID details (either the standard RID number or the external module RID number). So the FAA database has to allow either YES or NO to be checked depending on your situation. Check with your legal team for applicability; this is not legal advice from me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne