DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID Question

OklabyGodhoma

Reactions
I have seen lots and lots of questions about DJI drones that already have remote ID capability already built in and perhaps I have missed it somewhere but my question is places to purchase remote ID "add on's" and the experience others have had with their purchases. Thus far I have only found 2 places to purchase and one of those cost more that the cost of my DJI Mini SE. My main concerns are the products available, the ease of the addition and if it can go inside the drone vs outside, the cost of course and lastly their thoughts on the remote ID they chose. One last thought is does the addition of the Remote ID void the warranty or repair contract with DJI?

I have only found 2 places to purchase and one of those cost more that the cost of my DJI Mini SE
If you're flying a stock Mini SE (no accessories attached causing it to exceed 249 grams) and are flying for recreational purposes only, you won't need to transmit RID data.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I have seen lots and lots of questions about DJI drones that already have remote ID capability already built in and perhaps I have missed it somewhere but my question is places to purchase remote ID "add on's" and the experience others have had with their purchases. Thus far I have only found 2 places to purchase and one of those cost more that the cost of my DJI Mini SE. My main concerns are the products available, the ease of the addition and if it can go inside the drone vs outside, the cost of course and lastly their thoughts on the remote ID they chose. One last thought is does the addition of the Remote ID void the warranty or repair contract with DJI?
External modules will not void any warranties. Internal ones may.

As far as which one to buy, there just aren't any available, as you found out. I did buy a DroneBeacon db120 from DroneBeacon Db120 RemoteID Broadcast Solution With Battery, but they are also on backorder now.

More RID info here: Remote ID, love it or hate it, here is the real info: - Drone Service Providers Alliance

Reactions: GFields and Cafguy
I have not purchased my modules yet and I will probably just ground all my bigger drones until all the rush to purchase has subsided and the price at least levels off by that time many more manufacturers will have gotten permission to sell and the price should go down considerably. Most modules will go on the outside but there are "solder to the board" ones available if in stock. The outside modules will have NO effect on warranty or contract. The inside solder on ones probably will have some effect on your contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: redserv
If you incorrectly place or mount a broadcast module on the external shell of your drone and it leads to a crash, it is possible (but not likely) your DJI warranty coverage for that crash could be affected. Way less likely to affect something like DJI Care Refresh.

Reactions: Cafguy
If you incorrectly place or mount a broadcast module on the external shell of your drone and it leads to a crash, it is possible (but not likely) your DJI warranty coverage for that crash could be affected. Way less likely to affect something like DJI Care Refresh.
I never thought of that one but ya i wonder what they plan to do about that?

I never thought of that one but ya i wonder what they plan to do about that?
The same for attaching any 3rd party accessories to the exterior of a drone. It's the drone owner's responsibility to ensure the drone is safe to fly.

It has become almost a Catch - 22 if you fly without "the MAN" will get you and if you put one on either internal or external then DJI will worm out. Geez, give us a break. I know DJI reads this forum its about time they chimed in and tell us where we stand with this requirement. Or they could offer an update to their Refresh program and add the module in for us.

It has become almost a Catch - 22 if you fly without "the MAN" will get you and if you put one on either internal or external then DJI will worm out. Geez, give us a break. I know DJI reads this forum its about time they chimed in and tell us where we stand with this requirement. Or they could offer an update to their Refresh program and add the module in for us.
Again, I just want to emphasize that I do not believe a broadcast module will affect your DJI coverage unless you are careless or reckless with how you mount it such as putting it some place where a few minutes of vibration will cause it to interfere with the propellers. DJI understands the FAA rules and people will need to mount these so it would be nice to get some guidance on mounting; however, in my opinion there does not need to be an update to their refresh program, the terms are suitable and still apply.

DJI isn't going to "worm out" of a care refresh repair because you attached a broadcast module. Just don't send the module along your repair request. But if you take one of those cheap basic broadcast modules and you wire it into your drone for power and/or control, you will likely not have coverage if it leads to a crash or malfunction.

Reactions: norsehabanero

DJI reads this forum? Ummmm I'm going to have to strongly disagree with that statement.

If you want to try and get input from DJI you should most definitely go to THEIR forum and pose your questions over there.

It's very possible "The Man" (your words not mine BTW) does browse this forum now and again but they don't have time or inclination to sit here reading our forum day in and day out.

DJI has been posting Remote ID information in their own forum. You might want to see Remote ID Statement (07/01/2023)

FAA announces today (Sept, 13, 2023) that RemoteID enforcement is delayed for 6 months.
Not quite. The effective date remains September 15, 2023. The FAA said they will consider waiving enforcement for cases involving people who have been unable to add RID capability to their drone, and that leniency will end on March 16, 2024.

RID becomes mandatory on Friday. But the FAA won't hold your feet to the fire if you make a convincing case for having been unable to find an RID module for your drone.

Those of us with recent model DJI drones are already flying with RID operating. Friday seems like no big deal for us.

EDIT: There was a post earlier today from the Pilot Institute with a copy of the FAA statement and a link.

Last edited:
Not quite. The effective date remains September 15, 2023. The FAA said they will consider waiving enforcement for cases involving people who have been unable to add RID capability to their drone, and that leniency will end on March 16, 2024.

RID becomes mandatory on Friday. But the FAA won't hold your feet to the fire if you make a convincing case for having been unable to find an RID module for your drone.

Those of us with recent model DJI drones are already flying with RID operating. Friday seems like no big deal for us.
Yep, "delayed enforcement" not "delayed implementation".
Only applies to those of us who can't comply right now due to having no modules to buy or craft not yet compliant.

EDIT: There was a post earlier today from the Pilot Institute with a copy of the FAA statement and a link.
Apologies, this thread was the top result in my search.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne