DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote Landing by Phantomrain : Sadness Tale

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Overtaken with sadness because it has not rained in days I search for Adventure.
Below is the tale of one's remote landing. If you always remember the Critical Spin you will be ok.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Wrechted Rain and tell the tale of your adventure.

Good practice for ditch landing remotely.
However, what's with the Critical Spin?
What is it doing for you, other than making you dizzy?
Just center over a clear area on your deck, use the new projected drone shadow, and land. You could also reset the Home Point manually to the center of your roof deck, to use the new virtual yellow Home Point, continuously projected over the FPV screen when facing that direction, if you ever get disoriented.
Is that a deliberate video effect, of the recording going in and out, with oscillating interference? If not, something happened during the upload of the video, corrupting it.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I added special effects, last time I did this, my drone fell 50 ft down and landed in the Bush, thus the Critical Spin was key this time. Resetting the Home Point is an option of course but not one I could ever do in a Panic.

Best I can do is remember Critical Spin . lol

Phamntomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

I added special effects, last time I did this, my drone fell 50 ft down and landed in the Bush, thus the Critical Spin was key this time. Resetting the Home Point is an option of course but not one I could ever do in a Panic.

Best I can do is remember Critical Spin . lol

Phamntomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
I assume you must have previously inadvertently hit the tree branches during the descent, due to strong winds blowing the drone into them.

The key for me, in remote landing, if not hand catching at my launch point, once centered over the intended remote landing target, is making sure the camera is pointed straight down, so that I can clearly confirm that there are no interfering trees, branches or power lines once I descend straight down. It may obviously help to change the yaw orientation so that FPV framing is parallel to the lines of the edges of the deck, so everything is lined up, but the spinning itself seems unnecessary. If blown offline during the vertical descent, one can fine tune the line up, if the GPS itself doesn't make the proper correction.

The new simulated drone shadow really helps, as it gets larger as you descend. Also, the camera now automatically relevels itself when the drone is within a few feet of the ground, to protect the camera from damage from pebbles and rocks on the landing surface.

Might also want to trim back that tree over the deck!

Overtaken with sadness because it has not rained in days I search for Adventure.
Below is the tale of one's remote landing. If you always remember the Critical Spin you will be ok.

Phantomrain.org
I practice landing on a 3x3foot plank of wood set on the railing of my balcony. The X in the center of the screen always gets me landing right in the center of that plank. I also do the "critical spin" ,as you call it, before I land on that plank. It orients me a bit better as to where the drone is exactly above the plank. I often land better when I am landing via camera only, than when I try to land while watching the drone from the balcony.

I practice landing on a 3x3foot plank of wood set on the railing of my balcony. The X in the center of the screen always gets me landing right in the center of that plank. I also do the "critical spin" ,as you call it, before I land on that plank. It orients me a bit better as to where the drone is exactly above the plank. I often land better when I am landing via camera only, than when I try to land while watching the drone from the balcony.
Unless you are handcatching! LOL!

I like the idea of a 3x3 foot plank set on the railing so you don't have to deal with the railing or any the interior furniture of the balcony, as you would while otherwise landing on the floor of the balcony.

How do you secure the 3x3 foot plank to the railing, so it doesn't tip over, with your drone on top? Got a photo?

Do you also launch the drone from the balcony, using the same platform?

Unless you are handcatching! LOL!

I like the idea of a 3x3 foot plank set on the railing so you don't have to deal with the railing or any the interior furniture of the balcony, as you would while otherwise landing on the floor of the balcony.

How do you secure the 3x3 foot plank to the railing, so it doesn't tip over, with your drone on top? Got a photo?

Do you also launch the drone from the balcony, using the same platform?
Your exactly right regarding why I put the plank in the balcony railing. My balcony isn't very wide and the risk of hitting the railing, wall of the house or furniture is higher than me landing on the platform.

The platform is more like 2.5ft x 3.5ft. See Pic Attached. It's made of cut planks nailed to the top board of the railing. And yes, I also launch the drone from the platform.
Landing Platform.jpg
The only thing that I don't like is, the home point isn't accurate enough for me to perform an auto landing.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Phantomrain.org
Move to Olympia, WA🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Your exactly right regarding why I put the plank in the balcony railing. My balcony isn't very wide and the risk of hitting the railing, wall of the house or furniture is higher than me landing on the platform.

The platform is more like 2.5ft x 3.5ft. See Pic Attached. It's made of cut planks nailed to the top board of the railing. And yes, I also launch the drone from the platform.
View attachment 173414
The only thing that I don't like is, the home point isn't accurate enough for me to perform an auto landing.

I tried something similar to this out my Bedroom windows a nice landing shelf that folded out, so I could fly out the Windows and do a permit check of my house, but after a few cracks in the glass I gave up on that idea.

GIves new meaning to walking the Plank.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , and Look for UFOs in the storm.

View attachment 173414
Ideally, it would be like a folding table leaf mounted on the railing, that you could pop up and out for drone use and then collapse down after, for everyday use of the railing, so it's not so much in the way on a small balcony.

I use a small wooden folding TV table for launching from my roof deck at waist height, as reaching down to the ground to turn the battery on isn't my thing, and the dirt and dust on the ground then isn't getting into the motors or sandblasting the front filters of the cameras. I then hand catch after, to allow room for me to move to the drone as necessary for the safest hand catch, even in windy conditions, from below.

However, as my roof deck has a gazebo around the perimeter with a sun shade over it, the level balcony railing at the top of the stairs to the roof deck is a good alternative for launching, but the railing alone is a bit too narrow, although I have used it anyway. Need to add that folding table leaf onto the outside of it.

I'll bet someone already makes such a folding table leaf for balcony railings, perhaps with a C clamp to secure it, for expanded plate surface while barbecuing or as a side table!

Found one that would work perfectly! Pricey, but cheap insurance, and it is easily removable and transportable, and looks nice!

Just flip it around, and mount it so it extends out instead of in!
Hangs over the balcony railing!

IMG_1225.jpeg
Plenty of other cheaper designs and solutions, too.
Personally, I would prefer that it be level with the top railing, but this is perfect for flying out an open window, too!

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne