DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote landing

jasper43

Reactions
Ok, I’ve read the threads about RTH problems/cautions and the circumstances of the “landing on the other side of the lake” post. Assuming that I want to land at a location other than my current location, and that of the stored “Home” point, am I correct in assuming that the following is the best way to accomplish it, notwithstanding the don’t do it, it’s stupid, why risk it and so on. I’m not talking miles away but, for example, a few fields away and maybe behind some trees with the possibility of loosing the command signal, and yes I am aware of the line of sight requirement.

Fly to wherever and descend to a sensible height of say 100ft,
Pan down 90deg to check area and perhaps pre survey on foot to confirm safe landing area.
Descend to say 30ft and recheck, (at this point should you re-set “Home” point to drone current location whilst you’ve still got a good signal)
Select auto land and let the bird do its thing, or
Left stick fully down and then when on the ground hold for at least 3 seconds, maybe 10 to be sure motors shut off,
Check motor rpm = 0

At this point even if I switch off the controller, get in the car to drive to the location or loose the signal during the descent or after landing, will the drone stay on the ground under all circumstances until I get there.

Hope the above is clear enough and appreciate your thoughts, have I missed something?

Cheers

Reactions: AMann
When you land, the rotors will turn off automatically. You are correct however if I am reading and understanding correctly. You could also down stick and land manually if you are certain that the area is clear and safe for landing. Since the Mavic 2 will pause momentarily and then land on its own anyhow, you don’t have to worry about bouncing it.

Not worried about bouncing it, my concern is will the technique above ensure that RTH will not initiate after landing for any reason, such as low battery or loss of signal.

Not worried about bouncing it, my concern is will the technique above ensure that RTH will not initiate after landing for any reason, such as low battery or loss of signal.

After landing, a low battery will not spin the rotors back up and RTH. If it eases your mind, set the new home point before landing in the event that RTH is triggered during the decent.

After landing, a low battery will not spin the rotors back up and RTH. If it eases your mind, set the new home point before landing in the event that RTH is triggered during the decent.

Quick question, hope I'm not OT. When you land at the alternate location won't the M2 set that as your new home point?

Once you have landed, thats it. Its not flying, so any RTH is out of the question.
If you were to spool up and take off, yes, a new homepoint would be set by the AC there.
The HP could then be changed to the RC, if you are using a GPS enabled device.

Quick question, hope I'm not OT. When you land at the alternate location won't the M2 set that as your new home point?

Just as @Simmo noted above. Just prior to landing however, you can also reset the Home Point to the current aircraft location in the event something goes awry during landing and you don’t want it flying back to the original HP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929