DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remotely operated polarizing filter adjustment

Polarized ND’s are great if you take nadir shots (straight down), especially over water or other shiny targets for cutting glare. They are also great for landscape photography (but mainly for single frame shots and less so for panoramics). I like to use them especially for when I want to enhance the contrast of clouds and sky.

A remote adjustment would have to be really light for the gimbals, curious what OP has in mind.

Rob: Your statement about sunglasses is certainly correct but, the lenses on sunglasses are much bigger than one's eyes. I see where you're going with the remote lens eye deer and why that would make it possible. My only question would be how large the filter needs to be to prevent inbound light from getting in behind it. At an inch distance, I wouldn't think it would need to have a super large diameter with the camera's aperture FOV but it would almost certainly have to be larger than our current crop of ND/PL filters.

Yes, it would be much bigger! I would liken it to contact lenses being placed directly on the eye (current crop of lens filters) vs. sunglasses (my invention). My invention would actually reduce ambient light from getting in behind. How does that sound? Plus, the battery would only need to be charged every 20 flights. The first version will be huge, but functional. Sorta like the first computers ever made took up a whole room, not all the tech you can hold in your hand.

Polarized ND’s are great if you take nadir shots (straight down), especially over water or other shiny targets for cutting glare. They are also great for landscape photography (but mainly for single frame shots and less so for panoramics). I like to use them especially for when I want to enhance the contrast of clouds and sky.

A remote adjustment would have to be really light for the gimbals, curious what OP has in mind.

It would actually operate independent of the gimbal! Every gimbal is so well balanced, even the current crop of ND filters sometimes cause gimbal motor overloads. Remember the filters that wouldnt let your gimbal complete the calibration? My invention would bypass all that drama.

Reactions: AMann
It would actually operate independent of the gimbal! Every gimbal is so well balanced, even the current crop of ND filters sometimes cause gimbal motor overloads. Remember the filters that wouldnt let your gimbal complete the calibration? My invention would bypass all that drama.

A camera dome? Sounds like a winner!

Reactions: Former Member

You could also use your idea to make a remotely adjustable ND filter using stacked CPL’s as well. Kind of a cheaters way of getting ND filters though, as it was all I could afford for my K1000 in high school. My colors were always off, so I mainly used them for b&w film.

And... how about a remotely controlled ND +3 filter that simply flips it on or off? The control could use the landing light to enable it. A lot of camera makers, Fuji, etc., are doing this in their mirrorless cameras too.

You could also use your idea to make a remotely adjustable ND filter using stacked CPL’s as well. Kind of a cheaters way of getting ND filters though, as it was all I could afford for my K1000 in high school. My colors were always off, so I mainly used them for b&w film.

What do you, now, as a drone owner think about stacked CPL's? Would you be satisfied using them on a drone and would it help?

Really? Do you have a link?

Yes I have a link- in my head- its a free idea I want you to make. Creative license fee? Send one to me! :)

But for an adjustable ND, I don’t rhink using stacked CPL’s would be as good for video, especially for color, and having extra glass isnt that good for image quality.

The built-in 3 stop ND filter on the Fijifilm x100 series cameras are really usefull, that would be pretty cool had DJI included it on their cameras. But for weight restriction of the gimbal and cameras, having it built into a camera dome instead would be of interest to many I would think. It could be made to be controlled by the landing lights for the remote too.... another example of switch mechanisms you might look at for ideas on ND filters is what they put in wildlife game cameras- many have a automatic IR blocking filter that flips the filter out for nighttime IR and flips the filter in for daylight color mode.

Ah and the wish list grows, but I know you can do it!!

Last edited:
This is getting exciting, Rob, you've stirred the masses. :) So, do you have any idea what the final weight will be and do you think you will need any weight in the rear to maintain the CG? I'm guessing most of the initial testing will be done statically until you get it to the size you want and the apparatus itself works to your satisfaction. Then, go flying. For something so simple, we're all jazzed to the max. Not that it's simple to make, it certainly will not be, but it's almost like having an autopilot on your lawnmower. :) Even so, I'm excited. Personally, what I would like equally would be a rig that gives me switchable ND16/32 while airborne. That bites me in the butt more often than not and you'd think I'd figure it out but so far, I haven't. <laughing>

Anyway...you are obviously psyched which is making the rest of us psyched! Rock on, I say.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa