DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replaced front arm, receiving error code 30085

Tony McDrone

Born To Fly
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I replaced the front left arm on my MA2 and now I am receiving an 'esc error' code. After some research I am able to determine it is code 30085. Does anyone know if this code will tell me specifically which of my connections is bad? Or is it a general code that isn't that specific?

error 30085 means ECS connect error, you could try refreshing the firmware.

Did you have to resolder the motor wires to the esc ?

There are 5 wires that connect the motors to the esc, so yes I did some soldering.

A firmware update was performed following the procedure.

There are 5 wires that connect the motors to the esc, so yes I did some soldering.

A firmware update was performed following the procedure.

ESC might have been affected somewhere in the soldering process, I assume there is no arcing/ excess solder etc.

The soldering job was neat and clean. I assumed that I got the board too hot during the process.

Have a new esc arriving Monday, not looking forward to more than 20 new soldering joints. I bought a new soldering station specifically for this job.

Reactions: Richy mini
The soldering job was neat and clean. I assumed that I got the board too hot during the process.

Have a new esc arriving Monday, not looking forward to more than 20 new soldering joints. I bought a new soldering station specifically for this job.

Ah right, hope that goes better

I am hoping that a DJI tech on the forum will tell me that each number in that code has a specific meaning.20200815_170015.jpg

Reactions: Serhiy
I think you need a bit more solder on some of the points as it could be an intermittent connection
I'll give it a shot. Let you know how it goes.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but those solder joints would not pass muster. I would remove those wires again. Use a solder sucker or wick to remove the solder as it appears to be oxidized. In other words, start over. Make sure the soldering iron is tinned lightly and shiny. When soldering it's super important to keep the wire still until the solder solidifies - use a soldering aid for this. The solder pads should look nice, like the factory's.

Saw one YouTube video where the guy was using a Weller soldering gun (inductive or "transformer" type) - don't do that! Use a 40 to 60 watt pencil iron and preferably a soldering station like you ordered.

Reactions: Serhiy and GarthH
Sorry if this sounds mean, but those solder joints would not pass muster. I would remove those wires again. Use a solder sucker or wick to remove the solder as it appears to be oxidized. In other words, start over. Make sure the soldering iron is tinned lightly and shiny. When soldering it's super important to keep the wire still until the solder solidifies - use a soldering aid for this. The solder pads should look nice, like the factory's.

Saw one YouTube video where the guy was using a Weller soldering gun (inductive or "transformer" type) - don't do that! Use a 40 to 60 watt pencil iron and preferably a soldering station like you ordered.
I appreciate the advice. These are the new joints...same result. Error code 30085. Maybe I'll have a professional do the soldering. I do not believe the board is bad.

Attachments

• 20200815_181826.jpg
    20200815_181826.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
Might be good to use a jeweler's loupe or strong magnifying glass and good light to carefully examine the surrounding area to make sure there's nothing bridging or shorting to another trace or component.

Thanks for the advice. I'll purchase a magnifying glass tomorrow, and attempt outdoors...with plenty of natural light.

Google "mamba practice board" and buy a couple of those and some silicone wire. Practice soldering on those before you try the new esc. I make my students (high school)do that before letting them solder on a new board when they are building drones.

Also twist the wires so they are not frayed at the point of joining

Based on what I see in the pictures, some of those maybe what are called cold solder joints and may have issues.. If your solder is does not contain any flux to let it flow, that may not help either.. Some of the joints look like they have frayed wires, they should be twisted and tinned before trying to install it.. The solder should be 60/40 and about .06mm very small for this type of work too..

If none of that helps, and problems persist, something may wrong with the one of the components anyway..

Reactions: Serhiy and lannes
I purchased jewelers loupe to do the job, and used flux this go round. The job certainly came out cleaner looking, but the result is the same. I am convinced the board has a problem. Time to send it in. I’ll update the forum on DJI’s findings.

Thanks for the advice from all.

Capture12131.PNG
I circled some areas and joints that may or may not be damaged or having missing components, or having shorts from loose wires. I'm sorry to say your wires are not soldered well, too many fraying pieces. There is a high possibility as you suspect that the board could have been permanently damaged by shorting too. Next round, use a sharper tip and pre-tin the solder points will a ball of solder first. And do becareful with the tiny 0402 components nearby. Take a picture BEFORE doing anything to compare with AFTER. Good luck

Hi, I also suspect your board could be damaged. For high precision soldering like that, you always solder the wires first and coat them in descent amount of solder. Then repeat gently on the board connectors and afterwards just lightly join them .

Unfortunately those boards dont hold the heat to well, and the small SMD resistors are barely held on. I think your board might be damaged and you have a a short or open circuit somewhere along the lines

I‘ve ordered and received a new board, but do not trust my skill level to install it. I’ve just sent the drone to DJI for repair. I will likely purchase the “mamba practice board” to improve my skill level before attempting such a job in the future.

The replacement board cost $43 from an outside vendor. I’m curious what DJI will charge if they need to install a new one. I’ll post the invoice once the drone is returned.

Thanks again for everyone’s advice and expertise. I‘m sure there are others out there who think there work is ‘up to muster’, but is not. So as I learn, so shall others. I’ll pay it forward as I go.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661