DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replacement for Smart Controller

DougMcC

Part 107, SEL Instrument 101st ABN
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I purchased my beloved Mavic 2 Pro with a smart controller a few years ago. My SC seems to have a dwindling battery reserve and I don’t have a MP2 controller. New SC and MP2 controllers seem unavailable. I do have an Air 2S with a fine controller but that won’t support the MP2. My SC supports both birds but are the batteries replaceable or is there any way to use the Air 2S attached to an iOS device for the MP2? Probably a crazy questions. I love the MP 2 and want to continue. Thanks in advance.

I purchased my beloved Mavic 2 Pro with a smart controller a few years ago. My SC seems to have a dwindling battery reserve and I don’t have a MP2 controller. New SC and MP2 controllers seem unavailable. I do have an Air 2S with a fine controller but that won’t support the MP2. My SC supports both birds but are the batteries replaceable or is there any way to use the Air 2S attached to an iOS device for the MP2? Probably a crazy questions. I love the MP 2 and want to continue. Thanks in advance.
What you could do is keep the SC attached to a portable battery which would essentially enlarge the battery capacity, but would also be an added bulk that you might not want to have to carry around. Otherwise, I'd simply buy a used M2P/Z controller. I'm sure there's also a good used SC that you could find online. I don't know of any way to use the Mavic Air 2S controller with the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom and I doubt that feature will ever become available. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Droniac
What you could do is keep the SC attached to a portable battery which would essentially enlarge the battery capacity, but would also be an added bulk that you might not want to have to carry around. Otherwise, I'd simply buy a used M2P/Z controller. I'm sure there's also a good used SC that you could find online. I don't know of any way to use the Mavic Air 2S controller with the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom and I doubt that feature will ever become available. Hope that helps!
Thanks. I haven’t found any battery replacement suggestions on line. I have tried a charging USB hookup and that extends the flying time but as you say it is clumsy.

You could always get a second hand M2P/Z controller, if possible an RC1A, they create DAT logs. The RC1B does not create DAT logs. £70ish and upwards on Ebay UK, you probably have more available in USA.

Reactions: Droniac

If I were in your shoes, I might crack open that SC and take a look at the internal pack. While DJI might not sell a replacement, that doesn't mean you can't find one. It is almost a certainty that you will find the chemistry (most likely Li-Ion), and size/capacity on a label, right on the internal pack. The RC Industry is full of battery pack manufacturers that would most likely have what you need.

It likely would require you to cut the leads of the old pack and splice in the new one but that is easy to do as long as the pack is not some how built-in and hard wired to the main board. Might be worth a peak just to check before you buy a whole new controller.

If I were in your shoes, I might crack open that SC and take a look at the internal pack. While DJI might not sell a replacement, that doesn't mean you can't find one. It is almost a certainty that you will find the chemistry (most likely Li-Ion), and size/capacity on a label, right on the internal pack. The RC Industry is full of battery pack manufacturers that would most likely have what you need.

It likely would require you to cut the leads of the old pack and splice in the new one but that is easy to do as long as the pack is not some how built-in and hard wired to the main board. Might be worth a peak just to check before you buy a whole new controller.
I've opened an SC before and yes, the battery pack is not hard-wired to the main board. It is easily removed, but I don't know exactly if it would be easy or difficult to replace. From what you said, I'd assume it wouldn't be too difficult, but I don't know. I do remember awhile back, there was a replacement battery pack for the Smart Controller selling on eBay. It was a long time ago so it might not be available anymore.

Update: Just did a quick search and found the following:

"DJI claims that the Smart Controller gives you somewhere between 2-2.5 hours of battery life and the ability to operate in adverse temperatures as cold as -4°Fahrenheit and as hot as 104°Fahrenheit. It uses two built-in 2500 mAh Li-ion batteries and it takes around about an hour to charge"

Did you check to see if DJI will do the battery swap?..... for my regular M2P controller they charged me $70 and sent me a replacement/refurb unit.

Sounds a bit odd, I have 2 SCs on the 2 yr old Enterprise & Pro and never had a problem of the SC battery charge even in our cold winters up here in Montréal, -3C today. We often get through 6 drone batteries before any concern about the SC. Except for sunny days, I reduce the display brightness to around 50% & try to operate from shaded areas. Do you fully charge it before taking it out? But as said in another post, DJI will probably replace it for around $70.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougMcC
looks like 4x standard cylindrical lithium ions at around 1200 mah each. Probably pretty easy to rebuild that pack.
looks like 4x standard cylindrical lithium ions at around 1200 mah each. Probably pretty easy to rebuild that pack.
Thanks for that info. That I can do as it becomes needed. Welcome to the forum.

In the Manual Version 1.8 for the Smart Controller it has the battery listed as: "Li-ion 5000mAh @ 7.2V" Seems to me I saw a listing somewhere that it was Li-Po???
I would check with Dji first and see what the circumstances and price to put some new batteries in your Smart Controller, and maybe check it out as well.

In the Manual Version 1.8 for the Smart Controller it has the battery listed as: "Li-ion 5000mAh @ 7.2V" Seems to me I saw a listing somewhere that it was Li-Po???
I would check with Dji first and see what the circumstances and price to put some new batteries in your Smart Controller, and maybe check it out as well.
Thanks for that info. I’m still pondering my options.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan