DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replacing ONE Low-Noise Prop?

Marc.Lip

Reactions
Hey everybody:
I bought a complete set of the new low-noise props, but if I needed to replace one of them, I'm assuming I could NOT use one of my old stock propellers, correct? Would have to replace it with another low-noise prop?

Thanks

Reactions: rcheli9
Correct. They have significantly different flight characteristics.

Would never be a good idea to run 2 different props when they cost so little.

Does make me wonder though how much of an impact it would actually have. I'd think the Mavic would compensate and maintain a fairly stable flight. Don't recommend trying it though.

Reactions: rcheli9
I'm pretty sure you would get an error on the screen. One of the ESC's would simply behave differently, drawing a different current. The IMU would sense that one of the motors runs with a different RPM than the other 3. Theoretically it should just be able to hover and fly but with constant adjusting by the IMU of the RPM of all engines. You would at least notice shaking or vibration. Just like when you would fly with one badly scuffed prop.

Besides, in the crafts log files DJI would definitely find evidence there must have been a different or damaged prop on one of the motors because of the difference in RPM and drawn current by the corresponding ESC. If you crash the bird you wouldn't get warranty support.

I've flown with 2 platinum props on the rear and regular peeps on the front. Works well.

I've flown with 2 platinum props on the rear and regular peeps on the front. Works well.
I think it will balance the RPM between the front and rear motors, right? But is there any advantage over using all plat props? May be because you are using externals you need to use the regular props? But wouldn't the rear motors will get even hotter with the plats?

I don't see anything bad could happen, the onboard magic constantly adjusts to maintain position, it doesn't know anything about which prop is fitted.
It's not as if you somehow forced one on designed for a different model.
But even that would probably work if it didn't hit the body.

When in doubt give it a try.
I wouldn't think it'd be a big deal given it can compensate.

Hey everybody:
I bought a complete set of the new low-noise props, but if I needed to replace one of them, I'm assuming I could NOT use one of my old stock propellers, correct? Would have to replace it with another low-noise prop?

Thanks

From previous experience building and flying multirotors with all kinds of various props, yes, the Mavic will fly just fine.

The Mavic's flight controller has no way of knowing if there's a different prop attached...for all the Mavic knows, that arm is just experiencing a slightly different wind...updraft, downdraft, etc.

Flight controllers don't know the RPM of a given motor...all the flight controller knows is to either speed up the RPM (by telling the ESC to send more current to the motor), or to slow down RPM by doing the opposite.

They are cheap and in stock now. Pick up another set of 2 for a spare so you have it when needed.

Umm you guys do know that you need to submit modifications like this to the FAA 30 days in advance of doing any flights right?[emoji23]

Last edited:
XSMKl2X.jpg

No issues flying with different props, the flight controller will adjust PWM % until it's happy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet