DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Repurposed UPS to Charge Drone Battery’s.

Do your 12v sockets work when the car is off? That charger should work if they do (input voltage is 12-16v so even when the car is of it should work) . Also you could turn the key two clicks forward and it will power your sockets without the car actually being on. -CF

Do your 12v sockets work when the car is off? That charger should work if they do (input voltage is 12-16v so even when the car is of it should work) . Also you could turn the key two clicks forward and it will power your sockets without the car actually being on. -CF

There on full time and the voltage is lower when the engine is not running this is normal for all vehicles hybrids I don’t know they are a different animal! Most vehicles the voltage is just above 12v when you turn them off when running the alternator will push about 14v, the inverter unless it has line conditioning will put out less with the vehicle off.

So that charger should work with your car when the engine is off right? If the charger works with voltages between 12 and 16, the 12v output of the battery should work fine as intended. Sorry if I'm still belaboring the diseased equine but I still think the solution should be simpler than an inverter or step-up.
-CF

A battery should be..
12 vdc at rest
13.8 vdc during charging
10.7 vdc electrically flat

So that charger should work with your car when the engine is off right? If the charger works with voltages between 12 and 16, the 12v output of the battery should work fine as intended. Sorry if I'm still belaboring the diseased equine but I still think the solution should be simpler than an inverter or step-up.
-CF

No the charger wants more than the vehicles battery puts out alone! It’s in the design! Dji should have put a step up in the charger to compensate for this but they didn’t! The charges tolerance is to low for the price it should work at 11 volts but think of voltage as pressure or weight, say something weighs 120 lbs and you only have 100 lbs of force to lift that weight you can’t do it! You need something like a pulley System to amplify the force hence a step up! If the voltage is not there the charger will refuse to operate because of its design! They could have built in a regulator to work with a step up but they didn’t

No the charger wants more than the vehicles battery puts out alone! It’s in the design! Dji should have put a step up in the charger to compensate for this but they didn’t! The charges tolerance is to low for the price it should work at 11 volts but think of voltage as pressure or weight, say something weighs 120 lbs and you only have 100 lbs of force to lift that weight you can’t do it! You need something like a pulley System to amplify the force hence a step up! If the voltage is not there the charger will refuse to operate because of its design! They could have built in a regulator to work with a step up but they didn’t
I haven't looked at the DJI charger but that aftermarket car charger works at 12v DC, the resting output of a car battery is 12v DC so it just seems to me that it should work:confused:. Am I still missing something or are we talking about different chargers?

I haven't looked at the DJI charger but that aftermarket car charger works at 12v DC, the resting output of a car battery is 12v DC so it just seems to me that it should work:confused:. Am I still missing something or are we talking about different chargers?

I don’t know if the cheap charger will work at 12v ? If you get one let is know if it works. While the vehicle is off! 12v is just a term nowadays! The 12v sockets are only 12v when the vehicle is off so it could be just a description of the connection.

I don’t know if the cheap charger will work at 12v ? If you get one let is know if it works. While the vehicle is off! 12v is just a term nowadays! The 12v sockets are only 12v when the vehicle is off so it could be just a description of the connection.
In the Q/A section I asked specifically if it would work with the car off, two people responded 'yes' as long as your plugs are powered when the vehicle is not running (which it seems yours are). Plus it also says in the discription "input 12v-16v" not just "12v charger."

In the Q/A section I asked specifically if it would work with the car off, two people responded 'yes' as long as your plugs are powered when the vehicle is not running (which it seems yours are). Plus it also says in the discription "input 12v-16v" not just "12v charger."

Don’t know? Unless someone verifies it. I don’t trust what people say on amazon these Q&As are hit or miss I get emails from amazon all the. Time about stuff I only had in my wishlist and have. No way of really knowing the answer! People say anything on amazon to build up credit trying to get picked for the Vine program!

Don’t know? Unless someone verifies it. I don’t trust what people say on amazon these Q&As are hit or miss I get emails from amazon all the. Time about stuff I only had in my wishlist and have. No way of really knowing the answer! People say anything on amazon to build up credit trying to get picked for the Vine program!
I guess your right, I'll try one out and let you know how it works! I need one anyway and the price seems rightThumbswayup. -CF

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d