DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Request for hints on flyaway due to GPS multipath error.

2civam

Reactions
Hello,

the posts of this forum, especially those related to drones losses, gave me a lot of hints about the controls to be performed and the behaviors to be kept to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately i have some risky conduct, since i usually fly in the mountains, sometimes in deep valleys where satellites reception is limited and rock walls can create the conditions for GPS signal reflections and multipath errors. I have been using GPS in mountain hiking for about fifteen years and, being on the ground, multipath and huge position errors are quite common, fortunately it never happened flying my M2P, but it worries me a lot since luck always runs out.

Here and there in the forum I found some informations about this problem, and I apologize if this post could be redundant, but i would like to verify some considerations to better understand its mechanisms and the chances, if any, to minimize it:
  • Its possibility is inversely proportional to the number of satellites and the quality of the signal, but it could also occur under optimal conditions.
  • It happens suddenly, without clues that can predict it.
  • It is probably due to the sudden entry of a new satellite with a reflected signal that alters a stable GPS situation.
  • In the flight log is visible a sudden jump of the position, which, from that moment until the situation returns to normal, is no longer the real position of the drone.
  • flying with no less than 11 satellites at any moment, at least 6 from either system GPS and GLONASS, definitely prevents it from happening.
Last, could an app preflight check of satellites position and signal strenght give any more useful information about the opportunity to fly in borderline situations?

check.png

Thank you for your patience and any other suggestions on this subject, for me it's is better to ask how to avoid it today, than to ask why it happened tomorrow.

Reactions: Gindra
I've never seen any reports that turned out to be unexpected behavior due to GNSS multipath issues, except possibly indoors. At worst the FC will switch to ATTI mode if the satellite count drops below 7 and VPS is unavailable.

Hello

For multi-path, the signal would need to reflect twice as GPS uses a circular polarization. I have seen multi-path due to reflective tape though.

Jerry

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots