DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Requested features quietly added to Litchi!(as of 7/4/22)

ratjr15

Reactions
Hi All, I haven't seen any other posts related to this and I'm a bit surprised. Litchi came out with an update on the 4th of July.

TL,DR: Recent update allows gimbal movement/speed changes outside of signal range in waypoint missions.

Some of us have flown in areas where obstructions/EM activity/etc prevented a consistent link between the aircraft and controller. The Litchi app would allow the craft to complete the mission even if rc connection was lost WITH LIMITATIONS. Those limitations were:
A-once outside signal range, any speed changes programmed into mission would not be followed, craft would continue at same speed it was at when signal was lost.
B- Once outside signal range, gimbal angle would not change to follow mission, it would simply stay in the position it was in when signal was lost, when signal was regained, gimbal would do some crazy stuff to "catch up" making parts of the footage useless.

THESE LIMITS HAVE BEEN REMOVED!

Per Litchi:
Version 4.25.0 (July 4, 2022)
- added a media gallery that lets you review and download media from the drone's storage
- [DJI GO/older drone models only] added new setting 'Enable DJI's Gimbal Interpolation in Waypoint mode' to allow gimbal pitch movements out of signal range
- [DJI GO/older drone models only] when supported by the drone's firmware, custom waypoint speeds will now work even out of signal range

Awesome! Glad to see this went in. I requested this in a support ticket back in May. They responded quickly and were very receptive to adding it. Will be testing soon.

Per Litchi:
- added a media gallery that lets you review and download media from the drone's storage
- [DJI GO/older drone models only] added new setting 'Enable DJI's Gimbal Interpolation in Waypoint mode' to allow gimbal pitch movements out of signal range
- [DJI GO/older drone models only] when supported by the drone's firmware, custom waypoint speeds will now work even out of signal range
Great to hear Litchi continues to update their product!
Little confused... These updates are for the Go4App, I thought all crafts using the Go4App had on-board way point processing, able to loose signal & continue mission.

When I use the Inspire 2 or M2P, using Litchi, it uploads the whole mission prior to mission start. When it would loose signal behind building it continues to process waypoints (if option is selected to continue missions). I set the I2 on a loop around a construction structure, multiple waypoints and 2 POI on ground to help with capturing all of structure on loop. I get a signal loss when it passes behind the building and regains near the other side... during that time it passes through 4 waypoints based on the POI point & height. Signal restored and continues a smooth gimbal to next waypoint.

This update addresses the oddity of Gimbal once signal is established again? Is that what it's addressing?
I'm not familiar with the above problems, although glad to hear it was corrected.

For newer Fly App, it's virtual sticks... Litchi goes RTH when signal is lost.

@ratjr15 Thank you for posting this. It could certainly be good news for those of us with older drones and who run them from Android (it's Android only). I've got an iPhone, so I hope Litchi can get this working under iOS, since this appears to be about the drone rather than the controller.

The notes you've added from Litchi include:

and we've concluded that "DJI GO" means DJI GO4, the app I use with my old Mavic Air; however, wasn't there an app just called "DJI GO" for some of the first DJI drones?

Has anyone actually tried this? Are they seeing smoother handling of speed changes and interpolation?

I cannot see "'Enable DJI's Gimbal Interpolation in Waypoint mode'" within the Mission Hub. It does not appear to be within the mission settings:
Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 11.08.42.jpg
or in the Waypoint Settings:
1658139242273.png

Since my drone/iPhone/controller combo work well enough, I haven't updated any of them, in any way, in over two years. However, I will be tempted by this if it actually works and is released for iOS...

Hello Litchi staff
the competition (dronelink) offers flight modes such as spiral flight that Litchi app does not have
Please Litchi staff, insert us to the spiral orbit flight mode in Litchi app.
thank you.

Salve staff di Litchi
la concorrenza ( dronelink ) offre delle modalità di volo come il volo a spirale che Litchi app non possiede
Per favore staff di Litchi, inseriteci in litchi app la modalità di volo orbit a spirale
grazie.

Attachments

• 294201812_2527576884048645_2726823836062391836_n.jpg
    294201812_2527576884048645_2726823836062391836_n.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Steve Amerson
@ratjr15 Thank you for posting this. It could certainly be good news for those of us with older drones and who run them from Android (it's Android only). I've got an iPhone, so I hope Litchi can get this working under iOS, since this appears to be about the drone rather than the controller.

The notes you've added from Litchi include:

and we've concluded that "DJI GO" means DJI GO4, the app I use with my old Mavic Air; however, wasn't there an app just called "DJI GO" for some of the first DJI drones?

Has anyone actually tried this? Are they seeing smoother handling of speed changes and interpolation?

I cannot see "'Enable DJI's Gimbal Interpolation in Waypoint mode'" within the Mission Hub. It does not appear to be within the mission settings:

or in the Waypoint Settings:
View attachment 151964

Since my drone/iPhone/controller combo work well enough, I haven't updated any of them, in any way, in over two years. However, I will be tempted by this if it actually works and is released for iOS...
Just to note: The 2 Gimbal "Interpolate" settings you've identified have been included in Litchi for many versions. Those 2 settings are not new, they exist in both Android & iOS for several years.

I have the 4.25.0 July 2022 version installed on a Android tablet and can not seem to locate the new switch for the
Gimbal Interpolation in Waypoint mode option. I see the previous options as sited above in your pictures.

Going back to Litchi's web site(manual pages), it's only referenced in manual as needing to be "enabled", but does not state where in program it's enabled. Maybe it's an "additional feature" within the older option... so if enabled, it's present... possible?

I'm interpreting this addional feature as "if there was a change to gimbal like going from POI 1 TO 2 in waypoint route" when signal was lost. Because currently with older versions, if I pass behind a construction building... loose video (black screen) and receive warning about connection; the drone (Inspire 2 X5S) continues on the route moving from WP12 to WP13 & WP14 while keeping focus on the same POI on ground for framing & centering.

Regarding the GO App vs Go4 App... the Go App used always refer to Go3 App for the Inspire 1 series. Although this may be referring to Go4 now a days. IF Go App does means Go3, then it would only apply to Older crafts like the Inspire 1 and not Inspire 2 or Mavic 1 or 2 series. Either way that wouldn't effect not seeing it in the Litchi App.

We obviously run in different crowds as the majority of ppl I've come across refer to DJI Go when speaking of DJI Go 4.
The changes I was speaking of are in the aircraft utilizing the DJI Go 4 app on android. I can't speak to Go 3 or the Inspire as I dont own an Inspire and have only been able to test on a Spark and a Mavic Pro 1.
As I explained in the OP, prior to this update, once the craft lost signal, it would continue the mission albeit with gimbal position and speed staying at setting when signal was lost, then when signal regained, the gimbal would do some crazy movements (it seemed like trying to "catch up") and all would continue as normal.
With the latest update, the gimbal/airspeed does as specified in the waypoint regardless of signal.

We obviously run in different crowds as the majority of ppl I've come across refer to DJI Go when speaking of DJI Go 4.
The changes I was speaking of are in the aircraft utilizing the DJI Go 4 app on android. I can't speak to Go 3 or the Inspire as I dont own an Inspire and have only been able to test on a Spark and a Mavic Pro 1.
As I explained in the OP, prior to this update, once the craft lost signal, it would continue the mission albeit with gimbal position and speed staying at setting when signal was lost, then when signal regained, the gimbal would do some crazy movements (it seemed like trying to "catch up") and all would continue as normal.
With the latest update, the gimbal/airspeed does as specified in the waypoint regardless of signal.
Great to hear, glad it solved a problem. I personally haven't had that problem but can appreciate a correction.
My I2 with X5S or X7 didn't exhibit the issue, but I normally use minimal ground POI's.

DJI Go3 vs Go4... hmmm... guess it's age and what you've used.
Go4 has always been referred to as Go4 signifying a new version; but I guess if previous versions aren't familiar then many shortcut a name... thus DJI Go. (Go1 & 2 weren't utilized, Go3 was basically 1st widely used version).

@Dougcjohn
Agreed that the "Interpolate" function has been there for some time. However, its quality as a function has been reliant on a strong radio connection to the drone, even on drones that can store waypoints.

I can get something close to a perfect orbit, facing into the centre of a 50m radius circle, if that orbit takes place 100m away from me. If I do the same 50m circle, but 500m away from me, the film will generally be unusable. Continuous yaw is required to keep the camera focused on the centrepoint as the drone moves sideways, and until now that has relied on the radio signal.

@ratjr15
> With the latest update, the gimbal/airspeed does as specified in the waypoint regardless of signal.
Have you tested this personally, on a device requiring DJIGo4? If so, I have hopes that Litchi will release the same update for the iOS version - they have usually released Android updates before the Apple equivalent.

Just to note: The 2 Gimbal "Interpolate" settings you've identified have been included in Litchi for many versions. Those 2 settings are not new, they exist in both Android & iOS for several years.

I have the 4.25.0 July 2022 version installed on a Android tablet and can not seem to locate the new switch for the
Gimbal Interpolation in Waypoint mode option. I see the previous options as sited above in your pictures.

Going back to Litchi's web site(manual pages), it's only referenced in manual as needing to be "enabled", but does not state where in program it's enabled. Maybe it's an "additional feature" within the older option... so if enabled, it's present... possible?

I'm interpreting this addional feature as "if there was a change to gimbal like going from POI 1 TO 2 in waypoint route" when signal was lost. Because currently with older versions, if I pass behind a construction building... loose video (black screen) and receive warning about connection; the drone (Inspire 2 X5S) continues on the route moving from WP12 to WP13 & WP14 while keeping focus on the same POI on ground for framing & centering.

Regarding the GO App vs Go4 App... the Go App used always refer to Go3 App for the Inspire 1 series. Although this may be referring to Go4 now a days. IF Go App does means Go3, then it would only apply to Older crafts like the Inspire 1 and not Inspire 2 or Mavic 1 or 2 series. Either way that wouldn't effect not seeing it in the Litchi App.
Pretty confusing it seems! Geeze!

@Dougcjohn
Agreed that the "Interpolate" function has been there for some time. However, its quality as a function has been reliant on a strong radio connection to the drone, even on drones that can store waypoints.

I can get something close to a perfect orbit, facing into the centre of a 50m radius circle, if that orbit takes place 100m away from me. If I do the same 50m circle, but 500m away from me, the film will generally be unusable. Continuous yaw is required to keep the camera focused on the centrepoint as the drone moves sideways, and until now that has relied on the radio signal.

@ratjr15
> With the latest update, the gimbal/airspeed does as specified in the waypoint regardless of signal.
Have you tested this personally, on a device requiring DJIGo4? If so, I have hopes that Litchi will release the same update for the iOS version - they have usually released Android updates before the Apple equivalent.
I have tested it with success, though my use-case was quite a bit different than Dougcjohn
I'm going to do some trials regarding the situation presented above.

@Dougcjohn , was everything else regarding the mission the same, aside from distance between operator and R/C? I'm specifically curious about speed. Have you tried slowing it down to see if you get any better result?

Hi All, I haven't seen any other posts related to this and I'm a bit surprised. Litchi came out with an update on the 4th of July.

TL,DR: Recent update allows gimbal movement/speed changes outside of signal range in waypoint missions.

Some of us have flown in areas where obstructions/EM activity/etc prevented a consistent link between the aircraft and controller. The Litchi app would allow the craft to complete the mission even if rc connection was lost WITH LIMITATIONS. Those limitations were:
A-once outside signal range, any speed changes programmed into mission would not be followed, craft would continue at same speed it was at when signal was lost.
B- Once outside signal range, gimbal angle would not change to follow mission, it would simply stay in the position it was in when signal was lost, when signal was regained, gimbal would do some crazy stuff to "catch up" making parts of the footage useless.

Per Litchi:
Currently all DJI Fly Drones will RTH if the RC signal is lost since there is no mission storage capability in them.

I have tested it with success, though my use-case was quite a bit different than Dougcjohn

@Dougcjohn , was everything else regarding the mission the same, aside from distance between operator and R/C? I'm specifically curious about speed. Have you tried slowing it down to see if you get any better result?
@ratjr15 , I think all the cross chatter may have mixed whom... I think your question is directed at @Facherty as he's done a few recent tests.

Per Litchi:
Thanks for the heads up!

Gimbal fix definitely works.

@Dougcjohn suggests that @ratjr15's question may have been aimed at me, so...

1. I asserted that, for those people flying drones that need the DJI GO app, programming a Litchi flight to make a 50m radius circle around (say) a tree, whilst retaining the tree as the sole POI, will result in a smooth film of that tree only if that tree is nearby. However, if that tree is 500m away:
- the flight to the tree will be perfect
- the flight around the tree will be perfect
- but the yaw required to keep the camera pointing at the tree is not part of the uploaded mission, and subject to wireless errors. The film made of the orbit around the tree will not be perfect.

2. This has always been true for Litchi - only the waypoints, velocities, heights and paths are stored by the drone when the mission is uploaded. The yaw (and tilt) commands required to allow tracking POIs is uploaded "live" through the radio connection. However: there has been a new release of the Litchi app for Android that apparently allows this yaw and tilt data to be uploaded to drones at the start of the mission; I cannot comment on this because, as far as I know, there has been no equivalent release for iOS.

3. @ratjr15 asks, "was everything else regarding the mission the same, aside from distance between operator and R/C? I'm specifically curious about speed. Have you tried slowing it down to see if you get any better result?" Yes, everything else was the same, even the tree! I moved from 100m away to 500m away. The mission was the same; I flew the first 400m by hand, then uploaded the mission. Slowing it down might mask the problem, but will not solve it.

My personal hopes for Litchi are:
1. people here who use drones that require DJIGO (i.e. not DJI Fly) confirm that the new Android version does give better control of the drone by uploading yaw and tilt information
2. Litchi get around to including iOS users in this improvement

My hopes are limited around Litchi - I love it, and use it all the time, but it has very little development since its launch - for a full discussion, see here: Litchi - "Unloved by its maker"?.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
- but the yaw required to keep the camera pointing at the tree is not part of the uploaded mission, and subject to wireless errors. The film made of the orbit around the tree will not be perfect.
This is incorrect. Prior to the update referred to above, for DJI Go/Go4 drones, the entire mission is uploaded to the drone (including yaw/heading values) except for:

1. Gimbal pitch angle changes when the drone is traversing from one waypoint to the next.
2. Speed changes, if any waypoint has a speed defined other than the cruising speed.

The update that was made is only in the Android version of Litchi and only affected the above two issues.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
@Facherty nice feed back & info.
I wasn’t aware camera yaw/tilt wasn’t within the uploaded mission.

My “tree” is a large city block and a hole in ground slowly rising to 8 story building consuming that full block. I ran the same mission for 3+ yrs construction.

Last year or so, Inspire 2 would loose connection on the back side of structure… due to height and material of structure and reconnect once clear.

I started with 2 POI’s due to rectangular block with 2 longer sides. Those POI’s Height were set at -20 Ft initially and increased to + 25 Ft as structure gained floors. The mission loop transitioned 3 POI… POI1 - POI2 - POI-1.

Missions consistently held the camera angles, center point on POI and transitioned smoothly between POI’s. I’ve not experienced the OP’s described situation but glad it’s been addressed.

Had a few times when flight would initially bounce camera up & down non-stop at mission start; Unexplained and normally a quick land, restart & re-upload corrected the problem.

I use Android & iOS tablets: Samsung Tab S7+ and iPad Pro’s & Mini’s. I’d agree some Android Apps perform better than iOS apps. Although their are several nice iOS Apps not available on Android Tablets.

Litchi remains a good product, I do hope they support the Mavic 3 Ent series!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb