DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Research Natural Area designation in US National Forest

baristabob

Reactions
Reviewing a NatGeo map, I see a boundary for a Research Natural Area in a US National Forest. Airmap did not indicate NFZ. I know Wilderness Areas are off limits, but have never come across this Natural Area thing. Am I legal flying here?

Airmap ( aka AirCRAP, which I highly suggest you abandon as they are pushing to monetize UAS Airspace) may not show "Sensitive" areas like Wildlife Preserves etc. You'll need to contact someone local to that area and ask what restrictions they are aware of and IF they mention any be sure to get links/resources and not "just their word for it".

Airmap ( aka AirCRAP, which I highly suggest you abandon as they are pushing to monetize UAS Airspace) may not show "Sensitive" areas like Wildlife Preserves etc. You'll need to contact someone local to that area and ask what restrictions they are aware of and IF they mention any be sure to get links/resources and not "just their word for it".
Thanks. Kittyhawk, then. Or something else?

Reactions: dirkclod
I use Kittyhawk but I know others use different apps. Anything but Airmap lol
I have 3 different ones and they all show about the same. The issue I have with Kittyhawk - the app on my Android is everytime I open it - it has a force / close app screen. I have to hit the back arrow and then it opens okay. But very very slow on maps even when connected to Wi-Fi. Just learn workarounds to make it work and get my info.