DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Responsible flying?

While those that migrate are protected under the Migratory Bird Preservation Act, the resident populations are not afforded that protection and local laws prevail for hunting and management of their populations. Some do allow scare tactics to discourage them from taking up residence in certain areas. I do not condone mistreating animals, but the numbers of some resident populations of Canadian Geese are astounding. Ponds can become so full of goose feces that the stench gets unbearable. 12 nesting pairs can become well over 100 geese by the end of summer. Lawns, walking paths, and golf courses can become a literal goose poop mine field at those times.

In Colorado, it's legal to haze Canadian Geese on your own property as long as the bird is not killed or harmed. That doesn't appear to be applicable in this video, but it's a moot point. A small FPV drone isn't going scare a Canadian Goose. In Colorado, the preferred method of dealing with the geese is hunting and "egg oiling", where the eggs in the nests are coated in an oil preventing them from hatching.

I am continually amazed at the things that I learn on this forum that have ALMOST nothing to do with drones. It’s almost like National Geographic has come to my living room.

Oooh...did I just date myself?

Nah, they still produce specials, particularly on PBS. They even have their own channel.

If you had referenced Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom however....

Ok, now I dated MYself.
1608790320167.png

Dr Marlin Perkins! That and ABC Wide World of Sports was my Saturday pleasure as a kid growing up with 2 channels in northern Alberta lol

Nah, they still produce specials, particularly on PBS. They even have their own channel.

If you had referenced Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom however....

Ok, now I dated MYself.
I always loved how Marlin Perkins took the credit and his assistant (Jim Fowler) did almost all of the work! Yep, I’m dated too - but not outdated!

I get a laugh at the irony of drones disturbing wildlife when helicopters and light planes have been used for filming wildlife shows for years and it still continues today. Drones are much less invasive and hardly detectable at altitudes above 100 feet (30 meters). I do not condone the low level flight by the FPV droner referenced in the first post.

I am continually amazed at the things that I learn on this forum that have ALMOST nothing to do with drones. It’s almost like National Geographic has come to my living room.

Oooh...did I just date myself?
Yeah, but at least it flew in! ? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Here in Oregon that is considered wildlife harassment and the fish and game frowns upon that. A hefty fine and possible jail time.

While I'm not from Oregon I would still venture to bet that this video would NOT fall under "Wildlife Harassment" for the simple fact the animals didn't pay the aircraft any attention or indicate any level of disturbance. In order for Wildlife Harassment to come into play the wildlife in question would have to be acting in a way that would not be typical if the aircraft was not in the area (alerted, flying away, being defensive, etc). These birds barely even looked at the aircraft what-so-ever.

They COULD have but they didn't.....

While I'm sure someone could try to insist otherwise and get charges filed, I'm confident it would get tossed our fairly easily in THIS case.

Are those drone pilots who violate the rules (FAA and common sense) actually aware, what the reaction of the public and authorities will be? --- This is not the way to promote more liberal conditions for drone flights!

As a Canadian, I feel compelled to clarify that these goose-shaped poop-conveyors are not necessarily Canadian, as in actual citizens of Canada. They are called "Canada Geese", not Canadian Geese, and they are found all over North America. Depending on the time of year and migration patterns, there are as many American Canada Geese, as there are Canadian Canada Geese.

Similarly the Bald Eagle is native to many regions of North America, including Canada. Although the USA lays claim to it as their national bird, it is not an American Eagle belonging solely to the USA. Other than Alaska, there are probably way more Bald Eagles here in Canada. ?‍??

Canada's national bird is (should be) the mosquito.

komarnomosquito1.jpg

As a Canadian, I feel compelled to clarify that these goose-shaped poop-conveyors are not necessarily Canadian, as in actual citizens of Canada. They are called "Canada Geese", not Canadian Geese, and they are found all over North America. Depending on the time of year and migration patterns, there are as many American Canada Geese, as there are Canadian Canada Geese.

Similarly the Bald Eagle is native to many regions of North America, including Canada. Although the USA lays claim to it as their national bird, it is not an American Eagle belonging solely to the USA. Other than Alaska, there are probably way more Bald Eagles here in Canada. ?‍??

Canada's national bird is (should be) the mosquito.

komarnomosquito1.jpg

You're spot on there. It really is Canada Geese but most people simply don't know and try to be "Correct" and call them Canadian Geese.

If they were truly Canadian geese, they'd be more polite and not go around pooping on everyone's lawns and golf courses. ;)
They are like cows that can also fly LOL! They sure do make a mess.

Now I feel bad for "trying" to talk to them in a Canadian Accent and say "Ey" to them..... oops :)

• Haha
Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife