DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted Air Space

Rchawks

Reactions
Will the MM take off in Restricted air space without FAA pre approval? I could see the MA2 not launching under these circumstances but I'm not so sure about the Mini.

Last edited:
Will the MM take off in Restricted air space without FAA pre approval? I could see the MA2 not launching under these circumstances but I'm not so sure about the Mini.

I was in an Authorization zone (very tail end of a municipal airport zone) about a month ago and mine would not take off.

I fly a MM, and I live is a restricted airspace. I have an AGL ceiling of 50 feet, which is more then what I need for test flights. I'm waiting on my airspace authorization for 300 feet as I write this. Just got an alert for no fly conditions on Monday, 21 Sep. Trump is going to be in town.

You have to look at the restricted area in question. Some are only by notice, and not active all the time.

Answering to a guy sitting behind a desk in China doesn't help anything.

Why would you like to fly in a restricted zone withour prior aproval? It is a good way to advocate the fact that all drones should be prohibited - simply irresponsible behaviour.

My question wasn't intended to skirt the law in any way. I tried to fly earlier in the year in a different spot and the software informed me I was in restricted area and the drone was grounded. It also was a different looking warning than the one presented yesterday. Yesterday's warning informed me that it was my responsibility to accept to allow the flight, since I was in a tree secluded backyard cove I chose to try knowing I would only fly 30 ft or so off the ground and 30 ft away. Absolutely zero chance of harming anything or anyone.

Reactions: ff22
My question wasn't intended to skirt the law in any way. I tried to fly earlier in the year in a different spot and the software informed me I was in restricted area and the drone was grounded. It also was a different looking warning than the one presented yesterday. Yesterday's warning informed me that it was my responsibility to accept to allow the flight, since I was in a tree secluded backyard cove I chose to try knowing I would only fly 30 ft or so off the ground and 30 ft away. Absolutely zero chance of harming anything or anyone.
I recall when I was rather new to my Zoom. I went out into my backyard and tried flying. I was informed that I was in a restricted zone. I could not figure out why suddenly I could not fly where I had at least a dozen times. Well, not being a sports fan I did not remember that a U of Washington football game was occurring at Husky Stadium. I am two miles away as a crow flies. While I might have gotten permission I was too new to the entire flying thing to figure that out. But flying 50 feet above my property would not jeopardize anything. A bit too much Big Brother - perhaps.

Reactions: Rchawks
Big Brother does not have to worry about me doing anything wrong in the air. I've always loved and respected to art of flying since my early twenties and being 61 now :rolleyes: I'm not about to do anything stupid or illegal at this point.

Reactions: shaneb50
I recall when I was rather new to my Zoom. I went out into my backyard and tried flying. I was informed that I was in a restricted zone. I could not figure out why suddenly I could not fly where I had at least a dozen times. Well, not being a sports fan I did not remember that a U of Washington football game was occurring at Husky Stadium. I am two miles away as a crow flies. While I might have gotten permission I was too new to the entire flying thing to figure that out. But flying 50 feet above my property would not jeopardize anything. A bit too much Big Brother - perhaps.
If any manned aircraft is flying at 50 feet above my backyard, the problem is not the drone.

Reactions: ff22 and Rchawks
It is under the weight limit and should not be restricted at all. It is not legally restricted according to the law]. I bought one yesterday from Costco only to find it is restricted by DJI. I will return it today because it won't fly in my 5 acre back yard.

I also agree. I too fly with safety and abide by the rules and regulations.[emoji106][emoji927]
I always check my zone area and make sure I am within required limits and etc.
[emoji846][emoji927][emoji574]️

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr