DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted airspace — cannot take off

Kyle76

Reactions
I made a quick trip with a friend to Beaufort, NC and had looked forward to making some drone shots of his new house and the nearby water, but when I got everything set up, DJI Fly said I was in a restricted area and could not take off. I checked on Kittyhawk, and although it said I was a little over 2 miles from a small airport, it did not give me an option to request authorization. DJI Fly said I could go to their website to request clearance, but when I tried on my phone, it said such a request could not be made on a mobile device. I thought requests could be made through the app, but I couldn’t figure out how so I just abandoned the idea of flying. Is there anything else I could have done? I would have been fine with less than 100’ of altitude.

You can apply for an authorization at LAANC or DroneZone. You will not need a Part 107 for authorization.

If Kittyhawk doesn't offer authorization, LAANC isn't going to help. It's more likely a DJI "Flysafe" restriction - but without more details on the location, it's hard to say. The presence of the Marine Corps Air Station at Beaufort makes the airspace a bit complicated, there. But that's South Carolina, not North.

At Michael J Smith Field in Beaufort, NC, there are DJI locks on the flight paths - you'll need to do a manual unlock before flying in those zones.

Reactions: Kyle76
The page seems to indicate authorization can be granted through the DJI Go app. DJI Fly is not mentioned.

You have to do it from a regular browser, like on a desktop computer, through your DJI account login. DJI Fly doesn’t support in-app unlocking for those zones yet.

Reactions: Kyle76
Ok, thanks. I had no access to a desktop or laptop today. Guess I’ll have to start pre-checking areas I intend to fly. I assume Air 2 pilots are in the same boat for now?

You have to do it from a regular browser, like on a desktop computer, through your DJI account login. DJI Fly doesn’t support in-app unlocking for those zones yet.

DJI Fly certainly does support unlocking those kinds of zones. You simply need to try to start the motors (for example by pushing both sticks down and in) and a box pops up where you have to certify you are authorized to fly there. Once you do so, the unlock is granted. (might need to verify your phone # with a SMS code the first time though)

DJI Fly certainly does support unlocking those kinds of zones. You simply need to try to start the motors (for example by pushing both sticks down and in) and a box pops up where you have to certify you are authorized to fly there. Once you do so, the unlock is granted. (might need to verify your phone # with a SMS code the first time though)

It wouldn’t let me do that last time I was on an approach path. Once I went online and did their website unlock, it worked just fine.

It wouldn’t let me do that last time I was on an approach path. Once I went online and did their website unlock, it worked just fine.

Depends on how the zone is classified. The blue "authorization zones" should be field unlockable. Only the red "restricted zones" closer to airport property should need you to submit documentation to DJI via the website.

Depends on how the zone is classified. The blue "authorization zones" should be field unlockable. Only the red "restricted zones" closer to airport property should need you to submit documentation to DJI via the website.

“Should.”

It doesn’t help when they make NOTAM/TFR blue as well...

Can an unlock be requested immediately through a mobile device or must it be done in advance via desktop or laptop? Unfortunately, I am not in the restricted location now to test possible solutions.

“Should.”

It doesn’t help when they make NOTAM/TFR blue as well...

In my experience TFRs are still authorization zones and are also field unlockable. I've done it myself. (for example, FAA cancelled a Presidential TFR but DJI was still showing it active. It was simple to unlock it in the field.)

The one time I tried on a mobile device it would not let me.... I suspect if you had a regular computer / laptop connected to a wireless router (cell phone) you might could do it. But let me warn you, dji's unlocking web site is very difficult to navigate... you have to jump through about 10 hurdles and figure a lot out and the once you get to the final stage of having the unlock number texted to you that is a gamble of whether it will work... doesn't about a third of the time for me. I guess you could try the 'massage' option. I'm not making that up... you can get a voice mail message sent also... but the web site calls it a 'massage'. You'd think one of the computer geeks at dji would have seen this by now.

How are you unlocking on DJI Fly? It was not clear at all to me how this could be done and at one point (I think when I tried the DJI website) I got a message that said I could not unlock on a mobile device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maller0374