DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted airspace

Welcome to the horrible world of Geo Fencing brought to you by your friends at DJI.
I understand your frustration with Geo Fencing, but stop and think for a minute what would happen without it. If anyone could walk into Best Buy, purchase a drone, charge it up and head to the nearest airport to get that kool close up of that F18 or maybe play chicken with that big commercial airliner, how many mid air collisions would we be looking at and how badly would it affect our ability to fly. I can only imagine and it wouldn't be good.

Also, I would guess DJI has looked at the legal ramifications of letting everyone fly unrestricted and can you picture the lawsuit that would ensue if your company's drone took out a passenger jet full of people? That would certainly add to the sticker price of your next drone!

I believe Geo Fencing is in all pilots best interest and I'm willing to put up with a little inconvenience to keep the clueless and careless out of the sky where they don’t belong.

Disclaimer:The facts expressed above belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is yours to draw...

Im sure it serves it purpose for some. I think not letting the drone fly 25 feet above the ground in your backyard is not what it should be doing. In many cases, it prevents responsible people from flying if there is danger present or not. I don't advocate eliminating it I am saying it should be adjusted - especially if you are a certified pilot.
If your are not on the runway or next door let it go up 30 feet (like if you are shooting a house or a family photo) I seriously doubt it would be in danger of hitting a plane. I am also against software making decisions for me without the ability to change it. Software controlling the pilot's decisions is bad - meant to be a guide, not the final say. Pointed out many instances where its bad. Speed limit is 55-75 but cars go faster - way over 150 mpg, I am assuming you want a speed limiter on all cars? I get it some people should be allowed to use forks - I just dont think its the responsibility of DJI to make that call.

Reactions: Grandpa
Im sure it serves it purpose for some. I think not letting the drone fly 25 feet above the ground in your backyard is not what it should be doing. In many cases, it prevents responsible people from flying if there is danger present or not.

Except you can't guarantee it'll stay at 25ft.

Failure of the drone (often sensors, sometimes other issues) are well documented to cause uncontrolled climbs to much higher altitudes.
And thats without someone at 25ft thinking "this is fine, i'll try 50....Still OK i'll try 150" and so on.

The only way to have a high degree of certainty there isnt a drone where its not supposed to be is to prevent takeoff and entry into an area.

I would also ask if you have ever heard of a plane going down and crashing because of a drone (small prosumer drone not Military grade)? Maybe Im wrong but is there 1 documented case of a plane crash because of a drone?

Thats not how risk management works. You don't wait for an incident and then reactively try to stop it happening again - you try to reduce the risk of *any* incident happening in the first place.

Drones have caused damage to aircraft (the Blackhawk in NY for example) and many many examples of Airprox where its been close. They're heavy enough to cause damage to an aircraft (and people under that collision).

Drone users have proven time and time again they cant be trusted to self police. A small number are aware of the rules and willingly violate them, another, much bigger group are ignorant to the rules and violate them without even realising.

Ok folks. I've done some "House Cleaning" and from this point forward we will be nice and courteous to each other in this post , refrain from posting, or get a vacation from the forum.

Remember, be NICE or skip the thread completely. It's one of our fundamental Forum Rules and it's not an option.

Allen

Im sure it serves it purpose for some. I think not letting the drone fly 25 feet above the ground in your backyard is not what it should be doing. In many cases, it prevents responsible people from flying if there is danger present or not. I don't advocate eliminating it I am saying it should be adjusted - especially if you are a certified pilot.
If your are not on the runway or next door let it go up 30 feet (like if you are shooting a house or a family photo) I seriously doubt it would be in danger of hitting a plane. I am also against software making decisions for me without the ability to change it. Software controlling the pilot's decisions is bad - meant to be a guide, not the final say. Pointed out many instances where its bad. Speed limit is 55-75 but cars go faster - way over 150 mpg, I am assuming you want a speed limiter on all cars? I get it some people should be allowed to use forks - I just dont think its the responsibility of DJI to make that call.
You can only lead a horse to water. You can't make him drink it.

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica