DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted Area Question

bg4166

Reactions
My DJI software is preventing me from taking off with no explanation other than Restricted Area. It is a location I have flown many times before, and B4UFLY and AirData both say I should be able to launch. The coordinates are 34.167613, -78.048899. I am aware of the RR tracks owned by the D.O.D. which I am unable to fly over, as well as the Military Ocean Terminal Sunny Point to the Northwest. I would appreciate any help.

Reactions: calum1362
I am aware of the RR tracks owned by the D.O.D. which I am unable to fly over, as well as the Military Ocean Terminal Sunny Point to the Northwest. I would appreciate any help.

It looks like that DJI nfz extends over those railway tracks which you mentioned.

NFZ.jpg

Perhaps the NFZ changed. Just thinking out loud.

Same problem here. I got permission, and uploaded it to the drone. Still can't fly over authorization zone I've used many times before. I think it might be a needed update, so I updated the Mini 4 afterward and will try again today.

I experienced a similar limitation. The no fly zones around Houston significantly increase when the president or presidential candidates are in the area.

I experienced a similar limitation. The no fly zones around Houston significantly increase when the president or presidential candidates are in the area.
Those are FAA TFRs, Temporary Flight Restrictions, unrelated to DJI authorization zones.

My DJI software is preventing me from taking off with no explanation other than Restricted Area. It is a location I have flown many times before, and B4UFLY and AirData both say I should be able to launch. The coordinates are 34.167613, -78.048899. I am aware of the RR tracks owned by the D.O.D. which I am unable to fly over, as well as the Military Ocean Terminal Sunny Point to the Northwest. I would appreciate any help.
That's a really odd shape. Looks like somebody made a typo in entering the boundary coords. Suggest you contact DJI to see if they made a mistake.

That's a really odd shape. Looks like somebody made a typo in entering the boundary coords. Suggest you contact DJI to see if they made a mistake.

It's just another sloppy attempt of DJI to "approximately" cover a NFZ using the minimum number of coordinates.

In the image below, the dashed red line marks the path of the railroad track owned by the Dept of Defence, which you're not supposed to fly over. The red X is the location where the original poster wants to fly. As he said, both B4UFLY and AirData say he's allowed to fly there, as it isn't over the railway track. But, unfortunately he's within the red NFZ defined by DJI. So, even though it is "legal" to fly there, DJI prevents from him doing so.

He could legitimately request an unlock code from DJI to fly at his location.

Curiously, the question mark and black arrow shows a spot where the forbidden railway extends outside of DJI's nfz. So, even though it actually is illegal to overfly the same railway at that spot, DJI would not prevent you flying there.

It's always the pilot's responsibility (not DJI's) to determine whether you can or cannot legally fly. Just because DJI permits you to fly or not, does not necessarily make it true.

DJI-NFZ.jpg

The railway line splits into a ~hundred different short sidings, all isolated from each other. So I'm guessing munitions storage between loading onto ships?

MilitaryOceanTerminal.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr