DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted area with FAA - LAANC approval, but Mavic Air will not take off

JimSteadman

Reactions
I have had a drone for about a year and a half, but have avoided any areas with an altitude restriction. But now, in an area with a 50' altitude limitation, I applied for and got LAANC approval thru Aloft to fly up to 50 feet for 2 hours. But my Mavic Air refused to take off, repeatedly. What do I need to do to get the drone unlocked in addition to getting a LAANC approval? How long will it take. Any advice appreciated.

Reactions: Rocket City
I have had a drone for about a year and a half, but have avoided any areas with an altitude restriction. But now, in an area with a 50' altitude limitation, I applied for and got LAANC approval thru Aloft to fly up to 50 feet for 2 hours. But my Mavic Air refused to take off, repeatedly. What do I need to do to get the drone unlocked in addition to getting a LAANC approval? How long will it take. Any advice appreciated.
You need to unlock your drone through the DJI website. It is a quick process. Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI

You need to unlock your drone through the DJI website. It is a quick process. Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI
For times like this - many stay logged into their DJI account so they can unlock on the fly (using a cell phone) or if you got a code before leaving home - doing it there with stable Internet connection.

Aloft and other approval / flight apps have no control over your DJI drone for flying in restricted areas.

Have to put the authorization numbers to unlock. I use a different phone that has b4ufly, so I can type the numbers in. For me if I don't it's a Pain in the ***. Start the drone, request authorization then type the numbers you get from the other phone. This worked for my air and pro platinum. Hope that helps

Reactions: davery87
@dpipasquale When I use a Zone unlock there is no typing numbers. DJI automatically approves the unlock, and it shows up in my DJI app, and I download the unlock from my phone to the drone.

Are you talking about the comments section of the unlock request screen? I just put in something like "LAANC approved photo flight". I don't think anyone ever checks it.

(I fly a DJI Mini 2. If you have another model I suppose the experience might be different)

I always check for airspace restrictions (unless I know there are none) the day before any flight (photoshoot). I have DJI Flysafe site bookmarked :). LAANC approval is only one step in the process. As stated above, you still need the unlock from DJI to enable the drone to fly.

That's Exactly What I was going to Tell him !!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada