DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted Zones

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

Like to know if anyone has had a similar experience - typical government run-a-round!

OK, a realtor asked me to fly a property for her. I did the initial research and found no geo-fencing issues (first thing I always check for). Next thing I checked for was controlled airspace and then restricted airspace. No issue with controlled airspace, but sure enough, the property was in the edge of a restricted zone. OK, the B4UFLY app instructed to contact the ATRCC Jacksonville office. Got a phone number and called them, but no they didn't handle drones and told me to contact Jacksonville approach. I call Jax approach and their response was that they only handle 10,000ft and above, so they gave another office to call. I call this office and the rep had no idea what to do other than to request clearance through LAANC. I tried to explain that LAANC was for controlled airspace not restricted space. No further use talking to this guy. I called this same office later on and talked to a different person. He told me the restricted zone was under a field office at NAS Jacksonville and provided a phone number. I call this field office, and FINALLY found the right people to request authorization from.

So, it seems that it is an absolute waste of time trying to call an ATRCC office. Find out who the military authority is that has control over the zone and call them directly.

The only thing you need to worry about in St. Augustine is Florida NE Rgnl (KSGJ). The only restricted areas I see is Blanding AAF near Starke.

Any time you need permission, you have to go through LAANC or Drone Zone. Restricted zones aren't unlockable except for a very good reason.

And in checking B4UFly, I don't see any restrictions outside of NPS property. What restricted area was the property near?

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
The controlling facility for restricted airspace is on the sectional chart for that area. Approach control works by sectors AND altitudes.

I live in a Restricted Zone in North Carolina and was able to get the phone number of the base air traffic control. Each time before I fly I call them to get permission and have never been turned down. Twice I was asked to call them back when I was done but they were very easy to deal with. My understanding is they fly no lower than 600 AGL and we of course are no higher than 400 AGL. So I would try to get their phone number if you can.

The only thing you need to worry about in St. Augustine is Florida NE Rgnl (KSGJ). The only restricted areas I see is Blanding AAF near Starke.

Any time you need permission, you have to go through LAANC or Drone Zone. Restricted zones aren't unlockable except for a very good reason.

And in checking B4UFly, I don't see any restrictions outside of NPS property. What restricted area was the property near?
Yes, I have flown near SGJ on one occasion. The property was just barely inside an authorized 200ft zone, but the FAA granted clearance. At the time I made the flight, I don't think SGJ was on the LAANC listing, but they are now.

As for the restricted zone, it is R-2907A over the Lake George area. I finally found the authorizing authority and have their office phone number. The office is out of NAS Jacksonville. I spoke with an office representative and his instructions were to contact their office immediately before flight. Assuming that the range is cold at the time, they will grant authorization. This will be my second flight in a restricted zone. The first time was zone R-4007 under NAS Patuxent River, MD. I contacted their office and they sent me a PDF authorization letter.

It seems that with restricted zones, the real difficulty is finding out who the military authority is and contacting the respective office. Civilian ATC does not appear to be the correct authority. I got bounced around between ATRCC, Jax approach, and a third office.

Yes, I have flown near SGJ on one occasion. The property was just barely inside an authorized 200ft zone, but the FAA granted clearance. At the time I made the flight, I don't think SGJ was on the LAANC listing, but they are now.

As for the restricted zone, it is R-2907A over the Lake George area. I finally found the authorizing authority and have their office phone number. The office is out of NAS Jacksonville. I spoke with an office representative and his instructions were to contact their office immediately before flight. Assuming that the range is cold at the time, they will grant authorization. This will be my second flight in a restricted zone. The first time was zone R-4007 under NAS Patuxent River, MD. I contacted their office and they sent me a PDF authorization letter.

It seems that with restricted zones, the real difficulty is finding out who the military authority is and contacting the respective office. Civilian ATC does not appear to be the correct authority. I got bounced around between ATRCC, Jax approach, and a third office.
Sounds like you have your bases covered. Awesome!