DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Retrospective Drone Classification

Hiwayman

Reactions
So, it seems to have gone quiet about the possibility of our drones possibly being allowed retrospective marking to allow use after the transition period we are in ...here in UK.
I wonder if a redesigned battery could be introduced for the Mavic 2 pro to lose a few grams and help...even if a dji approved dealer has to verify and administer the class marking???

So, it seems to have gone quiet about the possibility of our drones possibly being allowed retrospective marking to allow use after the transition period we are in ...here in UK.
I wonder if a redesigned battery could be introduced for the Mavic 2 pro to lose a few grams and help...even if a dji approved dealer has to verify and administer the class marking???
I love my M2P, would seem such a shame to not be able to use it under the A2CofC any more or Part 16 all because of its weight and lack of marking classification. I'm hoping that someone sees sense? that there are a lot of us who own legacy drones and want to continue to be able to use them as can during this transition period.?

Lets keep hoping ?

i agree with the above sentiment in post #2 but sadly i cant really see it becoming a reality
drones are a fast moving cutting edge technology,and unfortunately like computers and most electronic goods they have a finite life span ,it would be wonderful if we could all go out and keep flying our current drones as we do now ,till they expire through old age ,or in my case i expire through old age,its a shame our climate does prevent us from flying for at least 4 months of the year ,as much as we would like ,but heres to making the best of the next 15 months and getting as much air time in as we are able with our beloved mavics ,before the deadline

i agree with the above sentiment in post #2 but sadly i cant really see it becoming a reality
drones are a fast moving cutting edge technology,and unfortunately like computers and most electronic goods they have a finite life span ,it would be wonderful if we could all go out and keep flying our current drones as we do now ,till they expire through old age ,or in my case i expire through old age,its a shame our climate does prevent us from flying for at least 4 months of the year ,as much as we would like ,but heres to making the best of the next 15 months and getting as much air time in as we are able with our beloved mavics ,before the deadline
As you say, we must make the most of the time left before the legislation comes in ?

Reactions: old man mavic
I love my M2P, would seem such a shame to not be able to use it under the A2CofC any more or Part 16 all because of its weight and lack of marking classification. I'm hoping that someone sees sense? that there are a lot of us who own legacy drones and want to continue to be able to use them as can during this transition period.?

Lets keep hoping ?
Was wondering the same myself. Apart from remote identification we can comply as for tripod setting it does give us the slow speed required for flying close to people. I fly an M1P.

Have to wonder what (if anything) DJI will do regarding classification marking on the Mavic 3 Pro. If the don’t do anything, then it’s really only worth buying the Mini2 in the UK.

@Rquirk in respect of you post #5 i have to totally agree with you in tripod mode my MPP is actually slower than the C rating requirement ,and it can also have prop guards fitted ,i raised this point with the CAA, and was told that in order for it to be a C rated drone then it needed certification from the manufacturer to comply with the new rules ,if the new Mavic 3 does not comply with the C classification for the UK and Europe then i cant imagine DJI selling many of them here ,no matter how wonderful it may or may not be lets hope we have good news when it goes on sale

@Rquirk in respect of you post #5 i have to totally agree with you in tripod mode my MPP is actually slower than the C rating requirement ,and it can also have prop guards fitted ,i raised this point with the CAA, and was told that in order for it to be a C rated drone then it needed certification from the manufacturer to comply with the new rules ,if the new Mavic 3 does not comply with the C classification for the UK and Europe then i cant imagine DJI selling many of them here ,no matter how wonderful it may or may not be lets hope we have good news when it goes on sale
Im still hoping that dji will certify the m2p performance, combined with a lighter battery, even if it means a visit to a dji dealer, and thus enabling continuation after the transition.
Always optimistic ?

@Lastrexking ,on the subject of no Mini 3 coming anytime soon ,a year you say ,i have to disagree with your timescale of a year ,simply because of the recent offerings from various competitors in the sub 250g class of drones
the new Mavic 3 will be in a totally different class ,and a new Mini,3 will not really impact on its sales
dont Forget that from the middle of next year drones offered for sale over 250 grams ,to be able to fly in the open category under A2 classification will have to be C rated , to be able to be sold in the UK ,and will be tested by the relevant government dept to ensure they comply

@Lastrexking ,on the subject of no Mini 3 coming anytime soon ,a year you say ,i have to disagree with your timescale of a year ,simply because of the recent offerings from various competitors in the sub 250g class of drones
the new Mavic 3 will be in a totally different class ,and a new Mini,3 will not really impact on its sales
dont Forget that from the middle of next year drones offered for sale over 250 grams ,to be able to fly in the open category under A2 classification will have to be C rated , to be able to be sold in the UK ,and will be tested by the relevant government dept to ensure they comply
Only time will tell - but, so far none of the competitors have come close to the Mini2 despite their promises.

Looking like we're going to need this retrospective marking than ever if this news about the DfT's failure to appoint someone to administer the C-marking certifications is on the money.

Reactions: Hiwayman
and just a point of interest ,at this time, the video above is an EU based one ,it does not follow that here in the UK the same system will apply

Reactions: Hiwayman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf