DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home or Dive to death

Again keep in mind that the rules call for VLOS at all times. Only you know if your neighbors and local authorities are likely to see this as safe and innocent or dangerous and illegal.
Given the idea that is referred to of using Litchi to fly a mission that goes beyond VLOS, there is simply no question left as to whether this is “dangerous and illegal.” The reference to “neighbours and local authorities” is entirely irrelevant.

I also think that most here have indicated that this is not a feasible or reasonable project, especially at the level,of experience of the OP.

There’s also the point that Google Earth Pro will totally answer the “friend’s” question as to what is over the mountain ridge, and the viewpoint can be adjusted on GEP to any desired eye height and angle. Something in the OP’s question doesn’t hang together in my view,

I once flew out of sight around a cliff on the the coast to get shots of a favourite rocky bay. I was in the beach back from the cliff. Signal got week and the video feed slowed right down till I had trouble navigating. As I was over the coast the solution was easy. Hover and ensure that I was pointing out to sea. Take time don’t panic. Then run away front the coast and climb. Signal returned and I flew home safely. I had the RTH altitude above the cliff. I basically eye balled it as i approached I.e. flew up till equal with the top and then added some to the RTH altitude. If my MP had lost signal it would have climbed and returned.
You can not see the other side of a mountain except from above or from an angle looking back and across.
And I am sure it seems irrelevant in the Canadian mountains but you are legally required to retain direct line of sight DLS.

And I am sure it seems irrelevant in the Canadian mountains but you are legally required to retain direct line of sight DLS.
When did anyone mention "Canadian mountains"?

Given the idea that is referred to of using Litchi to fly a mission that goes beyond VLOS, there is simply no question left as to whether this is “dangerous and illegal.” The reference to “neighbours and local authorities” is entirely irrelevant.

I also think that most here have indicated that this is not a feasible or reasonable project, especially at the level,of experience of the OP.

There’s also the point that Google Earth Pro will totally answer the “friend’s” question as to what is over the mountain ridge, and the viewpoint can be adjusted on GEP to any desired eye height and angle. Something in the OP’s question doesn’t hang together in my view,

Hmmm, Alaska doesn't always have the google earth detailed view that is common in other parts of the civilized world. We sometimes need to deal with what we have. Case in point:

1598165056535.png
Living in SE Alaska as the OP, I completely understand his position. We also have a unique understanding of our elders and their wishes.

Google earth is not always an option as posted above. Many areas in Alaska do not have detailed images as other places in the world.

Kind and respectful intention but difficult to execute.
I think Edna Bay has an airport.....so chase the bear that went over the mountain, by taking the old chap for a flight....might be more cost effective than replacing an MA2.
Safe flying mate ....from Down Under
I know what Google Earth and other sites say but we have no air port of any nature. There is a hilly pot hole ridden straight section of road going thought a muskeg on it way to Trout Creek. A small salmon stream near by.
The last plane to land there clipped a small tree along the side of the road and was totaled. Surprisingly no one was hurt. But had a very long walk back to the bay. A community of 30 people on a remote Bush Alaska Island. So I think I’ll risk losing the drone then our lives.
I know bush pilots that have and do land there but they all were of the same thoughts on the matter.... never again.
Thanks Drone Ranger (Ranger One) clear for now......

Dave...using more battery flying DOWN/descending as opposed to level, sounds impossible? (All else being equal.) The drone WILL use less energy descending as opposed to flying level.

Maybe when you are descending you are also flying way faster? Even then I'd think flying level would use more battery per unit time. Drones use the vast majority of their battery just holding themselves up in the air...the percentage increase in battery use to fly faster and faster is the smaller percentage of the total energy needed in a given moment.

There IS a sweet spot in efficiency, which with these drones seems to be about 15-20 mph...the propellers are most efficient when moving forward at a "medium" speed as opposed to hovering because the air moving over the blades due to that forward speed (or hovering stationary in a 15mph breeze) adds some lift. That's why a helicopter can fly at a higher altitude if it's moving forward as opposed to hovering (out of ground-effect).

Anyway that's an interesting observation you made there and yes, is something to keep in mind.
Have you descended close by your location with your drone and listed to it and how it sounds. It is working hard trying to stay level and descend at speed. To do this it is powering up and down the propellers in fast succession to maintain fast, level, controlled flight.
Drone Ranger (Ranger One) clear for now......

Seems you could satisfy most of your friends curiosity without risking your drone by flying up there and taking a few pictures and video from the top. He could look over your shoulder while you do it.

Ok so I live by the ocean. So if I fly over this mountain rig that is 2200ft and loss signal I would need to set my return to home altitude to 23 or 2400 feet to clear the mountain rig?

2400 feet. The drone will fly as the bird fly straight back to home at is set altitude. So if you went over the hill and down the back side and lost signal. It would go to 2400 feet and come home. If you set it to 23 feet it would dive to it the ground and hover till the battery ran out and fall to the ground with a dead battery.

2400 feet. The drone will fly as the bird fly straight back to home at is set altitude. So if you went over the hill and down the back side and lost signal. It would go to 2400 feet and come home. If you set it to 23 feet it would dive to it the ground and hover till the battery ran out and fall to the ground with a dead battery.
Read post 8... that sounds like the correct answer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sedmonds