DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return To Home (RTH) Mountain Dissension

rgunnell

Reactions
New to Mavic Pro and forums. So, hello and thanks for getting me off to a good start. :)

I have a Mavic Pro with the MaxxMod Long Range setup (from Drone-World). Need more clarification on RTH. I have a simple image to illustrate my question.

Starting point, set RTH altitude to 100ft, fly out above river, descend 200ft for closer view. How will the mavic respond when is now 100ft below starting point and RTH is initiated?

Attachments

• ReturnToHome.gif
    ReturnToHome.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 94
Yes. And furthermore, when you go below your takeoff point's altitude, your result will be a negative number. So instead of saying you descended 200 feet, it would say -100 feet when over the water as depicted in your drawing.

I had this exact circumstance happen. I had my Mavic set at a certain RTH height that is normally sufficient for flatter areas I fly in.

I took the Mavic to an desert area that had higher mountains than I normally fly around and lost connection four miles out after I flew behind a mountain/hill. RTH kicked in and started coming back. The display came back up but I had no control as it flew directly towards this hill. Before slamming into the hill, the Mavic stopped, raised up, and went forward. It wasn't high enough, so it stopped again, raised up and cleared the hill.

Keep your sensors on as they'll save your Mavic some day.

I had this exact circumstance happen. I had my Mavic set at a certain RTH height that is normally sufficient for flatter areas I fly in.

I took the Mavic to an desert area that had higher mountains than I normally fly around and lost connection four miles out after I flew behind a mountain/hill. RTH kicked in and started coming back. The display came back up but I had no control as it flew directly towards this hill. Before slamming into the hill, the Mavic stopped, raised up, and went forward. It wasn't high enough, so it stopped again, raised up and cleared the hill.

Keep your sensors on as they'll save your Mavic some day.

Wow that's amazing. I'd a been sort of freaked out watching all that happen.

Yes. And furthermore, when you go below your takeoff point's altitude, your result will be a negative number. So instead of saying you descended 200 feet, it would say -100 feet when over the water as depicted in your drawing.
Really appreciate the info there. I understand now.

I took the Mavic to an desert area that had higher mountains than I normally fly around and lost connection four miles out after I flew behind a mountain/hill. RTH kicked in and started coming back. The display came back up but I had no control as it flew directly towards this hill.

I'm surprised to hear this- you saying you could not cancel RTH at this point? You certainly wouldn't have any pitch, yaw or roll control, but you should have altitude control and should be able to cancel RTH. At any rate, it's a good thing obstacle avoidance was enabled!!!

I'm surprised to hear this- you saying you could not cancel RTH at this point? You certainly wouldn't have any pitch, yaw or roll control, but you should have altitude control and should be able to cancel RTH. At any rate, it's a good thing obstacle avoidance was enabled!!!
I had no control at all. The only thing that came up was display. Everything I tried on the controller would not translate. As soon as it came over the hill it gave me control again. Obstacle avoidance is your friend.

I had no control at all. The only thing that came up was display. Everything I tried on the controller would not translate. As soon as it came over the hill it gave me control again. Obstacle avoidance is your friend.
I do believe flicking it into sport mode would have given you full control back. Still, good to hear that the Mavic did it's job perfectly in this situstion :)

I do believe flicking it into sport mode would have given you full control back. Still, good to hear that the Mavic did it's job perfectly in this situstion :)

He was behind a hill, so it was probably mostly due to loss of rc connection. Sport mode might've cancelled rth, but also would've turned off obstacle avoidance potentially causing a crash. Either way, awesome example of the safety systems working well!

He was behind a hill, so it was probably mostly due to loss of rc connection. Sport mode might've cancelled rth, but also would've turned off obstacle avoidance potentially causing a crash. Either way, awesome example of the safety systems working well!
I agree a perfect example of the Mavic doing exactly what it should.
But if you have video feed the RC would definitely have connection to the Mavic and could control it. In this case the RTH and Obstacle avoidance did it's thing and took control..

You cannot initiate RTH even with the sport mode switch if the controller connection is lost and Mavic is in Auto Pilot. However, yes, the OA should still function if it was enabled in the Go4 app prior to signal loss.
Many pilots fail to enable OA and end up madder than a wet hen.

Last edited:
You cannot initiate RTH even with the sport mode switch if the controller connection is lost and Mavic is in Auto Pilot. .
Just to clarify.

I never suggested you could initiate RTH by flicking to Sport mode, and of course you cannot do anything if the controller don't have connection.

My point was this:
1. If you have video feed, the RC has connection
2. When in RTH and RC having connection, flicking to sport mode will cancel RTH.

I didn't quote what you said. I agree with you 100%, just trying to confirm what you said. :D

Reactions: YngveN
Allright :) Just trying to making sure nobody is confused by reading this.

I have a similar query: I recently flew my Mavic Pro to the summit of a mountain at 400 meters above starting altitude. I set RTH altitude at 75 meters. How would MP react at 400 meters if RTH were enabled, would it continuously attempt to descend until reaching 75 meters?

I have a similar query: I recently flew my Mavic Pro to the summit of a mountain at 400 meters above starting altitude. I set RTH altitude at 75 meters. How would MP react at 400 meters if RTH were enabled, would it continuously attempt to descend until reaching 75 meters?

If you're already above the RTH altitude, it'll just stay at that higher altitude to perform the RTH

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Usiron