DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Returned

AndrewM

Reactions
I got the M3 within days of its release but knew that because of the weather up here it wouldn't ben until March or April that I could fly it. Maybe a few test flights but not much more...snow pellets today. I read about the software/firmware that wasn't ready yet and most of that didn't have much to do with my decision but the lack of pano was an issue. So back it went and I'll reorder in the spring.

As for the need for software/firmware updates. Guess most of you weren't around for the early Phantom models when updates were late and when issued tended to cause more problems than they solved. Many Phantom's and Mavics later I'm an older and more patient man.

Did you get a full refund? Best Buy takes 15% for returns…I found that out when I returned a Mini 2… : )
I've also heard of 20% restocking fees... that often the reason that you'll see Mavic's on Facebook Markteplace, eBay, and Craigslist.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Did you get a full refund? Best Buy takes 15% for returns…I found that out when I returned a Mini 2… : )
I guess that applies if the box is open. If is close I guess you get a full refund.

I guess that applies if the box is open. If is close I guess you get a full refund.
Not with everyone, most charge a "restocking fee" whether it's open or sealed.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I got the M3 within days of its release but knew that because of the weather up here it wouldn't ben until March or April that I could fly it. Maybe a few test flights but not much more...snow pellets today. I read about the software/firmware that wasn't ready yet and most of that didn't have much to do with my decision but the lack of pano was an issue. So back it went and I'll reorder in the spring.

As for the need for software/firmware updates. Guess most of you weren't around for the early Phantom models when updates were late and when issued tended to cause more problems than they solved. Many Phantom's and Mavics later I'm an older and more patient man.
Where's 'up here'? I live in Canada and we just got some snow today. We have been getting a few snowfalls off and on the last few days but nothing has stayed yet and the temperatures have been hovering around 0ºC and often dip below especially in the morning and evenings.

I have seriously been considering an upgrade to an M3 for a number of reasons but especially because it is one of the few drones that is spec'd to fly in weather as cold as -10ºC which puts it within the regulations if I fly it in weather between 0º and -10ºC here in Canada. That, and the fact that it is the closest I could get to a full frame camera in a portable package make it very attractive.

I do take lots of panos both manual and automated. The automated pano functions are very useful in cold weather (-10ºC) but the lack of those features does not bother me at this time as I know they will be added later. Until that time I will do them manually when I get the drone and make use of the amazing micro 4/3 sensor.

If I was you, I would have kept the drone and used the beautiful opportunities winter provides to take some amazing shots, learn the features of the drone and when spring comes you will already know how to use all them all. After all, it doesn't snow every day!

Chris

Reactions: Wreckhunter

Winter is the best time to fly :) I love winter :D I have flown at -30f with no issues, except for maybe the tablet.

Cheers & Good luck in the Spring, Jon

Why did you not keep it,and wait for firmware upgrades in Jan.2022.
Returning the M3 and then reordering in a few months down the road
makes no sense at all.
I dont know but sending it back anyway to me looks like lack of patience.
when you know updates are coming.

Buying it now just to return it and plan on buying it again seems like a waste of time. What's the point?
To wait and see if DJI deliver on their promises or not, if they don't to the OP's satisfaction then they've not wasted the money on the drone and if they do then the OP can rebuy and lose nothing so it's to the OP's benefit either way. On the other hand if they keep the drone and DJI don't deliver the missing features or not to the OP's satisfaction then they lose out.

I've learnt the lesson the hard way not to hold onto something with the expectation of an update I need for the product later on.

To wait and see if DJI deliver on their promises or not, if they don't to the OP's satisfaction then they've not wasted the money on the drone and if they do then the OP can rebuy and lose nothing so it's to the OP's benefit either way. On the other hand if they keep the drone and DJI don't deliver the missing features or not to the OP's satisfaction then they lose out.

I've learnt the lesson the hard way not to hold onto something with the expectation of an update I need for the product later on.
People have to learn to do the research before placing their order.Especially when it involves
A purchase of this magnitude.
I am sure DJI will follow through with the missing firmware updates. Thats why they own 70% market share.
There are a lot of happy M3 owners out there right now that love the product and understand that they will
have to wait for updates.
I kinda think DJI knows that if they do not deliver on the firmware updates for a 2 to 5 thousand dollar drone
that they would be in serious trouble. One more time returning a M3 and then reordering the drone in a few months
makes 0 sense.Even if he gets the reorderd M3, firmware updates will have to be done ,just the same as he he had kept
the drone the first time. Lol

People have to learn to do the research before placing their order.Especially when it involves
A purchase of this magnitude.
I am sure DJI will follow through with the missing firmware updates. Thats why they own 70% market share.
There are a lot of happy M3 owners out there right now that love the product and understand that they will
have to wait for updates.
I kinda think DJI knows that if they do not deliver on the firmware updates for a 2 to 5 thousand dollar drone
that they would be in serious trouble. One more time returning a M3 and then reordering the drone in a few months
makes 0 sense.Even if he gets the reorderd M3, firmware updates will have to be done ,just the same as he he had kept
the drone the first time. Lol

Yes people should do research but DJI shouldn't be so underhanded in trying to hide the missing features either, I'm puzzled why there's so many people defending DJI on blatant anti-consumer practices. I can certainly appreciate that there's people who can use the drone as is and would have less issue with the practice if DJI were being upfront about it but they're certainly not and there's clearly a number of people (myself included) who have no interest in the drone without certain features.

I think it's likely DJI will deliver the firmware but it's absolutely not guaranteed, those release dates may slip or the features may not work as well as promised. There's still absolutely no mention of some features such as the panorama mode so who knows if that gets added or not. As @AndrewM points out above DJI haven't always delivered but even if they had, I wouldn't ever trust a company to deliver something in the future especially not when I can buy it after the features have been added.

If DJI do release the updates as planned and they work to the OP's satisfaction then they can rebuy the drone and they've lost absolutely nothing because they aren't planning much use in the meantime so they win in either outcome. However if they keep the drone the OP is gambling on DJI delivering the updates as promised, if they don't then the OP loses out but if they do the OP isn't in any better a situation than returning and buying the drone again. So keeping the drone has the potential to lose out, returning the drone has no downsides so it makes no sense to keep the drone.

Why did you not keep it,and wait for firmware upgrades in Jan.2022.
Returning the M3 and then reordering in a few months down the road
makes no sense at all.
I dont know but sending it back anyway to me looks like lack of patience.
when you know updates are coming.
Interesting. I’ve looked into my crystal ball several times to gather insight on when DJI will issue updates on several of the aircraft I have and can’t seem to find that information.
What brand of crystal ball do you have? Link please?

Yes people should do research but DJI shouldn't be so underhanded in trying to hide the missing features either, I'm puzzled why there's so many people defending DJI on blatant anti-consumer practices. I can certainly appreciate that there's people who can use the drone as is and would have less issue with the practice if DJI were being upfront about it but they're certainly not and there's clearly a number of people (myself included) who have no interest in the drone without certain features.

I think it's likely DJI will deliver the firmware but it's absolutely not guaranteed, those release dates may slip or the features may not work as well as promised. There's still absolutely no mention of some features such as the panorama mode so who knows if that gets added or not. As @AndrewM points out above DJI haven't always delivered but even if they had, I wouldn't ever trust a company to deliver something in the future especially not when I can buy it after the features have been added.

If DJI do release the updates as planned and they work to the OP's satisfaction then they can rebuy the drone and they've lost absolutely nothing because they aren't planning much use in the meantime so they win in either outcome. However if they keep the drone the OP is gambling on DJI delivering the updates as promised, if they don't then the OP loses out but if they do the OP isn't in any better a situation than returning and buying the drone again. So keeping the drone has the potential to lose out, returning the drone has no downsides so it makes no sense to keep the drone.
Actually panorama mode is one that was mentioned as a firmware update.
I agree with a little of what you are saying.
This is another reason why ,especially a drone of this cost should not be ordered
for maybe at least as much as a half year after the release date to make sure the
bugs are worked out of it.
Then when the Mavic 3 is updated with current firmware,and Is ok with the customer
then place the order,which would only have to be done once.
This is why there is so much whining on here about an unfinished product.
it is what it is with DJI,this is more on the customer for not doing the homework before hand.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky