DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID and EASA requirements for Legacy drones

BOREAS

Reactions

I thought all drones flying under the EASA upcoming 1 Jan 2024 requirements were required to have some form of Remote ID, but I now see conflicting information on internet sites regarding legacy drones flying in Open cat A3.

The EASA webpage (Open Category - Low Risk - Civil Drones | EASA ) under the section headed “Remote identification” states: Starting from 1 January 2024, all drones operating in the open category (with limited exceptions) need to be equipped with a remote identification system, but I cannot find anything explaining those exceptions.

Other sites seem to state that RID is NOT REQUIRED for Legacy drones between 250g and 25kg in cat A3. eg: Open & Specific Category summary for 2024 | EU Drone Port™ 🇪🇺

Can any expert in the EASA zones confirm whether the above exception is correct?

I have no idea, but I'd speculate there is an exception for <250g drones like in the US.

The 250g threshold looks like it's being adopted globally in most authorities. It's already a threshold in the EU for category distinction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne